Old 12-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #31
Originally Posted by Larry Roth View Post
I agree with most of these posts. You need to be handy if you are going to move around in an RV. I also think the dealer you purchase it from has to be a good one as for sure there will be problems that need addressing. I purchased the Forrest River RF-3. It is my first Class A RV and I can tell you there is a learning curve that takes place and unless you are handy with the tools you will have lots of situations that will frustrate you.

Yes I agree most manufacturers need to have better QC procedures and once flaws are reported they should be communicated to other owners. This will help eliminate the negative comments and keep customers happier.

I dont think Forrest River has any more problems than other manufacturers and if they listen to owner problems then they should be able to built quality RV's. The dealer I purchased my unit from is solid and been around for many years. They stand behind their sales and any problems I have had have been covered under warranty. I am at the cross roads now as to purchase an extended warranty on the unit. Anyone have any experience with that?

Nailed it!!!

All will need work along the way just like a house...

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #32
Like others I purchased our 1st FR in 2014 and is a 2010 model. I feel they are well built but we have had some issues mostly around previous owners and lack of maintenance that is required to keep a RV in tip top shape. I make sure all repairs are done correctly and listen to the people on this forum that can help.

Lewis96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #33
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
I've heard a few times that Forest Rivers are made badly. We found a used park model we'd like to buy, but what I've heard about being cheaply made is putting me off. How are they???
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #34
My 4th RV since 1997. My second RV was a Sunnybrook which I did a factory visit because I was near at the time. I was impressed with their since of quality and control at various steps. Very good unit and only couple of minor problems fixed at dealer months after usage. My best was a Newmar motorhome. Quality much higher than the current FR product. FR does not have quality control. When I picked up my FR TT, I found 3 things during PDI which some were fixed before P/U. Other required parts order. After arriving home the next day, I spent most of the day going over and my list expanded to 14 issues which now have been fixed by the dealer. It took almost 5 months after purchase to get the issues fixed. It took so long because the blame game goes to both FR and dealer.
Dealer dragging their feet and FR dragging and approving the fixes. Dealer says that they have to do it FR way or they will not warranty the fixes. And then ordering parts. There many things such as missing screws in the cabinet/closets to hold to wall, missing slideout rubber wiper blades on the bottom, torn slide out top material, missing spots on top caulking.
I could have fixed most of the problems myself but then FR would not cover if there was a problem. If FR had any kind of QC, all of these issues would have been caught.
The dealer still has not had approval on all fixes because FR blames dealer caused it and that their QC would have caught it (what QC). Although the dealer did fix some things without approval. I have not really had a chance to use my camper because the dealer kept over the summer, then my wife and both have been sick (not their fault). So maybe this spring will be out camping again. But overall, seems as good as any TT now days. All have issues. Too bad they are not like cars. I have had a Ford pickup for over a year. I have never taken it to dealer for any issues. My Newmar MH (11 years old) was only into dealer during warranty (3 years) for a bad city water intake, a bad cabinet door and for some engine/brake recalls (not Newmar to blame). I guess if they made trailers the way my MH was made, the TT would cost 3 times as much. I can see since 1997 how much the TT manufacturing quality has gone down. Like someone has said before, people (like myself, sometimes) just get on forums to vent. But on the otherhand, if their were QC at the manufacturer then most of these problems would not occur and less venting. I can also blame myself for not going out of town/area to purchase. I was trying to buy locally for warranty fix issues which really did not matter.
2015 Flagstaff 26VFKS
TV - 2014 F150 Crew Cab 5.0L
WDH - 1,200 Equalizer
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #35
Our Flagstaff 829fkss has been great, second only to our 2000 Sunline.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #36
Forrest River Cheap?

I've heard a few times that Forest Rivers are made badly. We found a used park model we'd like to buy, but what I've heard about being cheaply made is putting me off. How are they???
I have owned a few campers, trailers, and motor homes. I now have a 2016 Forrest River.
This year I traded in a 2015 Winnebago 27 foot trailer for a Forrest River. The quality on the FR is way much better then the Winnie. My wife and I looked at many many trailer makes and models. For the money I would have to say the FR beats them all. There have been problems with FR some time ago but improvements have been made and it now can be consider a good buy.
The many parts that make up a trailer are the same in other makes but FR uses lots of upgrades and the fit and finish is over the top. I am very happy with my FR. There are better ones out there but now you will be almost doubling the price. Rest assured they do have a good product and do stand by their warranty 100%
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #37
I have owned 3 Forest River RVs and all has had minor issues. I can testify that Forest River has stood behind their all of my RVs and I would buy another FR if cause should arise. Join FROG (Forest Rivers Owners Group) and experience Great times and great friends with your Forest River RV!
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #38
Oh man can this question open up a can of worms. It really comes down to what you do as a buyer to educate yourself, what your dealer (or whomever you buy from) commits to after the sale, and about a million other factors.

Before the buy, do the research. Every manufacturer is going to have their issues. It's just how it is. Much like the auto industry, "lemons" slip by QC and those are the ones that you hear about online.

Much like other retail outlets, some dealers are less conscientious than others, and those are the ones that you hear about online.

My two cents on Forest River are this. I did a years worth of research on travel trailers and landed on Forest River based on bang for buck. I don't regret my decision. I've had some issues that have had to be taken care of by the dealer. I've heard less than desirable things about them but they have taken care of me...maybe it helps that I have been vocally positive about my experience with them on their Facebook page, maybe not.

Bottom line is that there are absolutely trailers out there with Forest Rivers name on them that are squeezable lemons...but much like everything else you only hear about them. I've found my Forest River product to be well worth the investment. It feels like it is built on par or higher when compared to other lightweight trailers and we have gotten great use out of it thus far.

Good luck with your park model purchase, whichever brand you choose. It will be something that makes wonderful memories for you.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #39
FR Quality

We've had our first RV for a couple years...a FR 205 popup. For the price, we've been very pleased. We were VERY pleased with the dealer, but they've changed hands, and now service is not so good.

We are pleased with the camper, but like a car, truck, etc. there is periodic maintenance work, most of it simple enough that we could do it ourselves. If I had it to do over again, I'd purchase the same model.

Cumming GA
JNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #40
Moderators' Assistant
who have you "heard" this from?
Other FR owners or dealers that don't sell FR products?

Why don't you go look at some FR products and compare them to other manufacturers.

As was said, FR doesn't make trailers, their divisions do.
We've had our Rockwood Roo trailer for almost 10 years. It had some issues but dealers took care of them. It was in the top two brands that we looked at, for hybrid travel trailers.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

forest river