Old 12-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #41

Forest River RV

Can only speak of my personal experience. Bought new 38 ft with a Ford engine and within the first six months, the automatic leveling system became stuck in the elevated position, entrance steps broke, roof blew off while travelling, front curtain became stuck, marble floor cracked in three places, water tank leaked from a crack. What made it especially frustrating is that the selling dealer located in Orlando, Florida basically wouldn't fix and service department puts you on hold and never returns. Once sold, they basically don't want to talk to you. Fortunately, was able to find reliable service in Ormond, Florida and in Brattleboro, Vermont which are honest and very knowledgeable. No probem with the Ford engine, but wood surfaces are essentially only paper and aren't foreseen to hold up very long. The floor plan can be very livable, but quality needs to be evaluated very closely. 5,000 miles later, the repairs have been made after much frustration and hope to have uneventful travelling now.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #42

New to RVing. What my 2 cents see's is, glad they last a lot longer then the warranty. If they were built as bad as some would have us believe, the day after the warranty was up, it would just disintegrate at that instant! But I could be wrong because we love our 3100SS. Also, since it is a 2012 and has traveled over 64000 miles, I think I know what I am talking about. Little issues is all. Will not look else ware for later up-grade!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #43

We've had our 2014 Rockwood Ultralight 5th wheel for a year and half. No issues, 6,000 miles towed. We love it.

Big Bad Wolf - '15 Dodge Ram 2500HD 6.7 CTD / Reese 15k Pro
Wolf Den 3 - '14 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8280WS
Nights camped 2017: 12
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
I've heard a few times that Forest Rivers are made badly. We found a used park model we'd like to buy, but what I've heard about being cheaply made is putting me off. How are they???

Yes, some lines, perhaps most Forest River lines lack quality and craftsmanship.

However, Forest River actually does make one good destination trailer, the Cedar Creek Cottage.

Not sure if what you are calling a park model is really a destination trailer, not sure that Forest River actually produces a true park model…they may.

If you are planning to keep the unit stationary and not looking at the Cedar Creek Cottage, you may want to consider a higher end fifth wheel, which tend to be better built than park models and/or destination trailers.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Manitoba proud!

Actually, triple e is still around.
In fact, a few weeks ago, I saw a flat deck of sprinter chassis being transported by one of their trucks!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
They don't make RV trailers anymore.!!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #46

We just purchased a Rockwood 8289WS trading in a Dutchman 28' TT. Spending a better part of a couple months looking at various manufacturers, there were good and bad with all. For us, it came down to floor plan, storage and trailer weight. There were smaller things that having owned a trailer, that you look at closer vs coming into it green. I also asked for references on the dealer and we spoke to owners of this unit this past summer while camping.
In all, what we received for the $$ spent, we feel was better for us than other brands. Unfortunately we ordered ours and it just came in a few weeks ago, so it is currently in storage. We did transfer everything from the old unit to this one and we are pleased with what we have seen so far ..... Looking forward to getting out in it next spring and putting it through its paces.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #47

Funny how the many folks that have had their units a few months love them, and a lot of us that have had ours for a while are a little more vocal about problems. I lived in mine for 2 months and had no issues, when it was new. Now that it's 4 years old, there have been more than I care to remember. Most have been minor, but not all, and there have been some that should never have happened. I am talking about the unit, not the appliances or stuff that the factory installed. The basic unit is of pretty poor quality. I should know... I've spent a lot of time repairing it. That being said, the time I've spent in it has been worth the effort. I haven't sold it yet. I do my own repairs because I don't want to wait for a dealer to order parts, squabble with FR, and get it back in worse shape than when I delivered it up for repairs. I've read one too many horror stories about all of that. I'm convinced that my next one will cost more, look nicer, but will still be a pain in the arse...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
We own a Rockwood TT. I have owned 12 different RV's over a lifetime. I believe FR is competetive with other manufacturers more or less. I was under the impression when Mr. Buffett became a share holder under Bershire Hathaway that he insisted in a separate building exclusive to quality control for all FR products. On inspecting new models I still see the same old flaws e.g cabinet work, moldings, general gaps in what should be caught if this here building is a fact. The only make of RV I ever owned that was above and beyond for quality of construction was Triple E based in Manitoba Canada. They were so good that they are no longer making RV's. Don't know whether it became too expensive to continue due to their quest for perfection. Someone mentioned that the industry needs to set the same standards as american motor vehicles. Perhaps.
Our previous fw was a triple e , 27ft no slides and it had its problems as well. The only thing I can say about that trailer was that it had a solid square tube frame construction, built like a brick S---house. I put a hitch on the back and towed my boat all over eastern Manitoba. They don't make frames like that anymore!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
I've heard a few times that Forest Rivers are made badly. We found a used park model we'd like to buy, but what I've heard about being cheaply made is putting me off. How are they???
I have had two FR and was satisfied overall with both of them. In fact the only one the problems were equipment supplied to them.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Funny how the many folks that have had their units a few months love them, and a lot of us that have had ours for a while are a little more vocal about problems. I lived in mine for 2 months and had no issues, when it was new. Now that it's 4 years old, there have been more than I care to remember.
That's why I haven't really chimed in, we have only had ours for a couple of months so only time will tell. Since I am already chiming in, , I will say, the quality of our WJ is good so far. I had a Lance Camper before this for 3 years and it never gave me any issues that I couldn't fix myself and the WJ seems to be of the same quality. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best and always plan for the worst by taking some tools with me...

2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS. Honda 2000i Genny, PI EMS-PT30C.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river