Old 12-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #51
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

It's a crap shoot when it comes to a good one and a bad one. It's like buying anything else. You never know. So far I've lucked out and have had good things to say about my camper. Mine is made in one of the first factories that FR had along with windjamers. They seem to have there act together there as thy have the 3rd generation of family building good products. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #52
Who Dares, Wins

We have lucked out on our three FR products, a popup and two TT. We have had no major issues. I will agree that build quality is LOW. I can not speak to warranted work because we've never needed to use a dealer for a repair.

I look at how our trailer was put together, staples and cheap fasteners, cheap out of square walls, trash found behind drawers and such... blah blah and wonder what they were thinking but in the end it IS a house rocking down the road...

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #53

For the most part ALL brands of campers are basically made the same with the same quality....... Airstream may be an exception............

I can say our Terry's from the 80s had issues much more so than the 2006 and 2013 Pumas that we have/ had. The Current Puma will be 4 years in June 2016 with no major issues

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
That's why I haven't really chimed in, we have only had ours for a couple of months so only time will tell.
I do understand. Please know I hope you NEVER have any problems, and enjoy your new V-nose... I do enjoy my TT in spite of all the problems... primarily because I'm now too old to tent camp. Gettin' old ain't for wimps... Now that in the last 5 years, we've added 6 grand kids to our mix, I'm looking hard at bunk models. Unfortunately I'm not hearing really good things about any of them, but it goes with the territory... so about March, they'll be taking me to the cleaners, yet again...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #55

My problem with the forest river is I came into buying this trailer not knowing what to look for and had a salesman that would say anything to sell a trailer.
Mine has some minor issues and wasn't what I was looking for.
I was fooled by the arctic package being told that we can use this for winter 4 season camping. Not even close. I was told it would be easy to tow a trailer behind this 5th wheel again not even close.
Personally I have a trailer I can't use during winter sports, and has to sit most of the time of year I am most active.
I just wish a company like Forest River would come up with "after purchase mods" we could do to make these trailers what we want.
Such as triple trailer mods for towing boats, sleds, etc, a real "artic weather package" so we may actually use this thing during normal winters in the Rockies.
"After purchase" larger water tanks that can be added later so we can have extended dry camping in the wilderness, larger battery packs for extended stays.
I mean most industries have complete upgrades that can be purchased after sale and the warranty is still valid.
I feel taken by the salesman and just trying to not lose money and still get what I was telling the sales people I wanted.
My trailer has to sit parked during my favorite time to travel and camp.
I guess the old snow cave still works.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #56

Send a message via Skype™ to Discipline39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
I've heard a few times that Forest Rivers are made badly. We found a used park model we'd like to buy, but what I've heard about being cheaply made is putting me off. How are they???
I have had ok luck. I had some fairly minor issues and documentation is awful. Judging by the post on this and other forums, RV's in general are a product of sloppy workmanship. More importantly, what is the reputation of the seller. Price/product, FR is probably the best value.

Chris & Deb
2013 F150 3.5 ECO
Wildwood X-Lite 262BH
Campahedu.com
Discipline39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #57
Toy Haulin' Full Time!

We just picked up our 3rd new RV. This Vengeance Touring Edition is far better than the previous 2. You will always find issues with a new RV, but if the unit is 5 years old, and well cared for, you will be able to find any issues before you pull the trigger. Consider paying a reputable Mobile RV guy a couple hundred bucks to check it out.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #58
Another adventure awaits!

We love our FR ... Sabre 33ckts ... As with everything few growing pains when we first got it ... This is our second FR ...
Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #59
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Funny how the many folks that have had their units a few months love them, and a lot of us that have had ours for a while are a little more vocal about problems.
Interesting. My experience is just the reverse. First six months were painful. Once I got the initial issues worked out, the Solera has been essentially problem free (except for a stability control computer failure on the Mercedes chassis) since. Now finishing our fifth "season", about 230 nights camped, and over 60,000 miles on the MH. My impression - once I got through The startup pains the MH has been quite solid and trouble free.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #60
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
My problem with the forest river is I came into buying this trailer not knowing what to look for and had a salesman that would say anything to sell a trailer.
Mine has some minor issues and wasn't what I was looking for.
I was fooled by the arctic package being told that we can use this for winter 4 season camping. Not even close. I was told it would be easy to tow a trailer behind this 5th wheel again not even close.
Personally I have a trailer I can't use during winter sports, and has to sit most of the time of year I am most active.
I just wish a company like Forest River would come up with "after purchase mods" we could do to make these trailers what we want.
Such as triple trailer mods for towing boats, sleds, etc, a real "artic weather package" so we may actually use this thing during normal winters in the Rockies.
"After purchase" larger water tanks that can be added later so we can have extended dry camping in the wilderness, larger battery packs for extended stays.
I mean most industries have complete upgrades that can be purchased after sale and the warranty is still valid.
I feel taken by the salesman and just trying to not lose money and still get what I was telling the sales people I wanted.
My trailer has to sit parked during my favorite time to travel and camp.
I guess the old snow cave still works.
If you had done some research before you bought, you'd have learned that FR doesn't make any true 4 season trailers.
You should have looked at brands like Arctic Fox, for a trailer designed for what you want.

You would have also learned that to NEVER believe a RV salesman.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river