Old 12-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

Is Forest River badly made?

I've heard a few times that Forest Rivers are made badly. We found a used park model we'd like to buy, but what I've heard about being cheaply made is putting me off. How are they???

Old 12-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #2

You need to take some time and read/understand some of the various posts on this forum and draw your own conclusions. Any single responses you receive here will be biased according to the experiences of the poster. Also, keep in mind that most of the posts made on forums are made by unhappy/dissatisfied owners. If folks made their decisions as to what to buy based on "forum traffic", there'd be a lot less RV's, cars, appliances, etc, purchased!!
My opinion is FR makes a decent RV and good value for the $$$. Most will agree here that the RV industry could use a major overhaul with their Quality System(s) as they are generally lacking!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #3

Quality on everything is pathetic.
Cars, houses, furniture, appliances.

We have demanded cheaper prices, and received cheaper products in return ( quality).

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

I've owned 2 FR products so far. Both have been good for our family. I don't think you will see a drastic difference in other brands either. Having looked at many different trailers and motorhomes, they all seem to be cheaply made to some degree. Could things be better, yes but all owners of other brands will probably agree too.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Do a quick search and you will have enough to read for weeks about people in the same situation.

The gist is the happy people are out there enjoying their units and the unhappy ones are on here complaining (that is why you see a bunch of negative posts on forums in general).

Basically the industry as a whole suffers from QC issues. Sometimes it is the manufacturers fault and sometimes not. These units are assembled using other manufactured parts so sometimes those parts are the problem which have no bearing on the FR.

Just do a solid PDI and get everything addressed before taking delivery and then use the warranty to fix any problems in the first/second year.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
You need to take some time and read/understand some of the various posts on this forum and draw your own conclusions. Any single responses you receive here with be biased according to the experiences of the poster. Also, keep in mind that most of the posts made on forums are made by unhappy/dissatisfied owners. If folks made their decisions as to what to buy based on "forum traffic", there'd be a lot less RV's, cars, appliances, etc, purchased!!
My opinion is FR makes a decent RV and good value for the $$$. Most will agree here that the RV industry could use a major overhaul with their Quality System(s) as they are generally lacking!
Yes ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Go to the Keystone RV forums and read the complaints they have. You also need to watch out for the manufacturer specific forums where the brainwashed moderators go through and delete complaints. I know of one that is notorious for that which begins with an H.

My last 2 trailers have been Thor Industries products, an Aerolite and Keystone Passport. Prior to those had a Palomino product (Forest River). I am going back to Forest River with the Roo I have ordered. They are all about the same as far as I'm concerned. From what I have looked at lately, Rockwood seems to just be a little better in build quality than some of the others which is one of the reasons why I went with them.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #7

Mine seems to be made good, but I did have to make repair to some items to make things right as they should have been. I think you will find 90% of the RV's you buy no matter what the price of the unit, thing will need adjusting and corrected. If you can make the corrections yourself you will have a lot less headaches and take a lot less time than if you are depending on the dealer.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #8

My Forest River Rockwood Windjammer is probably the best built trailer I have ever seen.

Bruce
Old 12-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
Site Team

If you're buying a park model I assume you will be parking it permanently at a CG somewhere? If that's the case, you will avoid the wear & tear of travel which should help limit some of the problems you may experience.

At least that's been the case for me over the past 5 years or so.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #10

Every issue we have had with our 5er (3 actually ) were completely repaired at Forest River's expense.

Since you will be getting a park model and cannot avail yourself of the annual free repairs at the Goshen rally, you will be in a different boat. Thus, do a VERY complete PDI of the unit and consider buying a aftermarket repair insurance. Give Coach Net a call and see what they can do for you.

If you are interested in Coach Net, drop me a PM and I can give you a good Point of Contact.

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river