Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #1

Just Purchased: 2013 Cherokee 294BH

Just picked it up last week and we're taking it out for our inagural overnighter tomorrow to test it out. Had a question about the electrical system.

Seems like the batteries are hooked up all the time. So at any time something could be leaking power (like the radio, which appears to be glowing all the time even if the power is "off") and draining the batteries.

So here are my questions:
  1. Is there a main disconnect somewhere that I can cut all power off from the batteries to the TT?
  2. When hooked to the shore power, do the batteries recharge? What is the device or mechanism by which they recharge, and do I need to check or monitor that device?
  3. A solar trickle charger seems like an interesting option for when the TT is parked at the storage lot. Is there such a thing, has anyone tried one, and would someone like to recommend a model or vendor?

Thank you for your help!!

-abe
abednego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Answers:
  1. Is there a main disconnect somewhere that I can cut all power off from the batteries to the TT? - No, there is not. Pull the power off of one battery to kill all the power to the TT.
  2. When hooked to the shore power, do the batteries recharge? - Yes, they do. Trickle charge.
  3. A solar trickle charger seems like an interesting option for when the TT is parked at the storage lot. Is there such a thing, has anyone tried one, and would someone like to recommend a model or vendor? - You can do this. Still wondering if anyone has a recommendation.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Always Learning

Installing a battery disconnect switch is pretty easy and saves you from monkeying around with tools to disconnect the battery.

No solar for me, so I can't help you there.

http://learntorv.blogspot.com/2013/0...installed.html
Old 06-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

I installed a small solar panel but battery will still slowly drain, am installing a disconnect next.
Greywolfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys. Just got back from a week with the new TT and it was great. Had good weather, had bad weather, the Cherokee performed very well.

Unfortunately, the main slide out somehow got stuck or jammed when we initially pushed it out. I heard "TINK TINK" metal sound and stopped the process and pulled it back in. When I pulled it back in one side was a bit closer than the other, and now it is slightly askew. I looked underneath and it doesn't appear that any of the teeth of the mechanism are damaged nor the drive gear. I'm wondering how pricey this fix is? Seems like it would be a simple adjustment? Would this be covered by warranty?