Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #1

Leveling 26DBH - what am I doing wrong?

Hi all,

I am not experienced by any means but did previously own a smaller travel trailer for a couple of years before this one and never had this issue. So we tow the new trailer to the seasonal site and try to level it for the season and I can't get it level from side to side.

So it was level in the back but at the front of the caper (interior or on A-frame) it was tilted downwards on the passenger side. Just to try, I put a leveling block underneath the wheels on the passenger side and the front straightened right up but now the rear is tilted downwards on the driver side.

I am going to pull it out onto a level road and check leveling on wheels on strait road but any insights?

srgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

ask yourself....how level am I looking to get it ? I just spent 11 days with my trailer about a half bubble off level and didn't think twice about it. When I first leveled it, I took all the readings from the inside...if it's close...I'm happy.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #3

Thanks, I guess it's more of a structural concern as in is the frame on this thing bent? It's quite noticeable when you have it level on one end as the rear for example but then you get a dip on the front right corner that is also quite visible or the other way if you straighten the front.

I was going to try and pull it out onto a strait road and see if it evens out as the ground is very uneven on my site.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

The frames on the lighter weight campers can barely hold themselves up. I'm sure your twisting the frame some as you try to level. It is a no win so it seems.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

On my Flagstaff the super slide will lean the rear of camper a bit when deployed. Have read here that some offset camper level before deploying slide, then deploy slide and it trues leveling up.
Days camped in FR, 2011-12 = 77, ‘13 = 59, ‘14 = 39
‘15 = 52, ‘16 = 77, ‘17 = 81, ‘18 = 44, 2019 = 69
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #6

Well, just spent two hours taking a closer look at it with a friend. We removed it from the site and measured it from different points.

There does appear to be a twist in the trailer, assuming we can use the A frame fork as a point of measure or the cross beam underneath - it appears there is a 3" drop from side to side at the front end door side of the trailer. Same amount of drop with or without the slide deployed, it's crooked when measure from the floor too inside until you get about to the Dinette.

If we put a large level against the sidewall (door side) of the trailer, the top of the trailer sticks out farther than the lower half of the trailer. Hard to get an approximate however due to aluminum siding.

I sent pictures to the dealer to see what they say.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

We have the same camper, pretty level overall. 3" side to side? If I'm reading you right that's excessive.

I'd like to read the response from your dealer. Still under warranty?
2019 Ford F250 Crew Cab - 2019 Greywolf 26DBH
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

Yeah, just bought it. Picked it up on Wednesday June 6th, towed it 190km to camp site and left it, just went back on Sunday to level and set it up and that's when I noticed it as I could not level side to side properly. I can but only on one end.

I am not sure what to expect for a response, I am concerned by the level of twist if it exerts pressure on the structure which could lead to more seams opening up for water. That and now that I know it's there it is quite visible when looking at it...
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #9

Well heard back from the dealer. Their suggestion is to camp with it over the summer (short Canadian camping season) at our seasonal site and get it back to them in the fall where they will investigate and repair or send to Forest River in the off season.

Any thoughts on what options should be available(canada), the option of a swap appears to have been rejected on first pass nor no loaner option available they claim while it would be in for investigation.

Should I expect it to be made right under warranty?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

You've got a much better chance of them fixing it under warranty than getting a new camper...

Although I'd think they will punt it to kipper since it could be a frame issue. Am going through that now with rim failure. Fr says it ain't their problem... Go deal with the rim maker.. Rim maker is well, un responsive...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #11

Just a thought, when you are leveling are raising one axle or both? I've had a lot better results with making my adjustments on both axles. If you are only putting something under one axle/wheel you are pretty much guaranteed to get some twisting. Just my 2 cents Hope it helps.

GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26dbh, leveling