Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Lippert power tounge jacks (SOLVED)

Has Anybody had any trouble with their lippert power tongue jack? I have a 2012 Gray Wolf 26 RL that I have had for less than a year. This past week end the jack stripped out when we got to our destination and I had to use the jack in my truck to get my tt unhooked. This will be the second time since I bought the camper this has happened. The first time was during my demo when I bought the camper. It should be under warranty, but I don't think I want another lippert jack on my camper. Any suggestions or recommendations for a replacement. Thanks.
T_wetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

naaaaaaaw something from lippert faulty ? come on now !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

I bought a Husky Brute on the advice of another member here who works for an RV dealer (cant remember his name maybe windjammer?) Anyway it's a ball bearing design with a built in brake with LED lights and 7 pin plug holder ,works great so far and price was very reasonable.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My LCI jack died last summer after 3 or 4 months of camping. My dealer said the gears were chewed up. We replaced under warranty with a Barker 3500 VIP. I paid up a little to make up the difference in cost and it's been well worth it. More power and quieter.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

Our LCI jack lasted 6 months, dealer replaced with an Addco under warranty.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, good to know that I'm not the only one having issues.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_wetzel View Post
Thanks for the info, good to know that I'm not the only one having issues.

You are in good company my friend.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Our Lippert (Space Man Face) looking failed while we were on long trip.We didnt have time to go thru the Warr.hoops,so we put on a (Barker VIP). The old Lippert was white,when we at the Factory in Middlebury they had a (Pile) of broken black ones. If you are going to be at the (Tadpole Rally) we can compare jack tales! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

I have the Barker VIP 3500 and love it. Been using it on my past trailer for 3 years and pulled it off and will be putting in on my new trailer in two weeks when I receive it.

Here is where I bought it. Great service & fast shipping.

Barker VIP Power Electric Tongue Jack 3500lb. - $199.99
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #10

I spoke with the dealer today and was told it is up to forest river what they will do. I did specify that I wanted a barker 3500 VIP or a bulldog. We'll see what happens in the next few days.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #11

I just got my Husky Brute, also based on advice gleaned here - tried to install it last weekend. Suprise, the hole through the bottom plate on my hitch frame is a smaller diameter than the upper one!!!

Looks like some unplanned metalworking is in my future.

3 weekends remain until our first planned 2012 camping trip!

-Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
I bought a Husky Brute on the advice of another member here who works for an RV dealer (cant remember his name maybe windjammer?) Anyway it's a ball bearing design with a built in brake with LED lights and 7 pin plug holder ,works great so far and price was very reasonable.
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Taking our 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS to dealer Fri for a new driver side landing jack that has 2 teeth chipped off.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #13

T wetzel are you ordering new? If so you don't get an option at the factory. I believe they use the LCI jack. I ordered mine with a standard hand jack and am adding the one I want. That way I am not paying for a useless, soon to be, broken jack.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #14

You all made me go look last night. We have the standard LCI jack too. So far though, it worked great last season and this year on one trip.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Just returned from having the driver side landing jack replaced. Horizontal shaft gear was bad. Mech installed a new passenger side jack on the driver side. Motor won't fit, shafts are different, duh! Leave your truck & trailer and we will order new one. "Don't think so" said I, "Leave the new jack installed, give me the old jack and I will fix it myself". Can't do that we need the old jack for warranty. Service mgr comes, explains the situation of ordering wrong jack. I said when I come back, that will be 3rd trip and 4 wks that I can't unhook. Service mgr says "Give me a few minutes" Returns in less than 5 with a new driver side jack. Long story short, mech installs jack, doesn't know how motor/gearbox goes on and asks me to install, which I finish hooking up everything. Get home, after telling wife that the jack is not installed correct and have spent the last 2 hours loosening all the bolts so the locating tabs on the jack are tight against the frame/support tabs, moving the stabilizer bar bracket up 3" from the bottom of the outer tube on the jack, re-positioning the jack pin mechanism so it will engage and making a steel bushing so the 1/2" dia shaft will not flop around inside the sq tubing that measures 5/8" x 5/8" inside that came from factory. Dealer is willing, but this particular mech was having a "bad hair" day. Anyway, it is all fixed and now I have an old jack with 2 grease zerks and a new jack with no zerks (yet). Will add them tomorrow and then tackle making the safety catch on the 5th wheel hitch and save $49.00.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc
Just returned from having the driver side landing jack replaced. Horizontal shaft gear was bad. Mech installed a new passenger side jack on the driver side. Motor won't fit, shafts are different, duh! Leave your truck & trailer and we will order new one. "Don't think so" said I, "Leave the new jack installed, give me the old jack and I will fix it myself". Can't do that we need the old jack for warranty. Service mgr comes, explains the situation of ordering wrong jack. I said when I come back, that will be 3rd trip and 4 wks that I can't unhook. Service mgr says "Give me a few minutes" Returns in less than 5 with a new driver side jack. Long story short, mech installs jack, doesn't know how motor/gearbox goes on and asks me to install, which I finish hooking up everything. Get home, after telling wife that the jack is not installed correct and have spent the last 2 hours loosening all the bolts so the locating tabs on the jack are tight against the frame/support tabs, moving the stabilizer bar bracket up 3" from the bottom of the outer tube on the jack, re-positioning the jack pin mechanism so it will engage and making a steel bushing so the 1/2" dia shaft will not flop around inside the sq tubing that measures 5/8" x 5/8" inside that came from factory. Dealer is willing, but this particular mech was having a "bad hair" day. Anyway, it is all fixed and now I have an old jack with 2 grease zerks and a new jack with no zerks (yet). Will add them tomorrow and then tackle making the safety catch on the 5th wheel hitch and save $49.00.
Wow, you had quits the day! Funny how in five minutes the service mgr had the correct jack that evidently you've needed for 4 wks! Hopefully I have better luck than you did. Are your landing jacks made by lippert?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Yes, they are Lippert jacks, but being familiar with powder metal parts, these things happen. Bad heat treat, etc. Not bothered by the failure, just the messing around with parts ordering and a mech having a bad day.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #18

I replaced my Lippert today with a Barker 3000 VIP. The way the Lippert was sounding and acting I was afraid it was going to quit on me.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #19

I have a 2012 Flagstaff Travel Trailer and the Lippert Jack failed. I did receive the funds from the warranty department and purchased a Barker Jack.....a much better quality. The failed jack started grinding gears and the motor died. The sad thing is that I was told that the previous problems with the Lippert Jack had been solved. The Lippert model installed on the RV was, according to Lippert, "their improved model!" As far as I can tell, the only thing Lippert did was to replace the decal on the jack....same problems and lack of desire to improve the jack. When I contacted Lippert they could not tell me who did the bench testing on the new model. According to RV service people, this is a lousy jack. According to the figures, Flagstaff paid $140 for each jack, but wanted to charge $335 for a replacement copy. If you have had these problems, purchase a Barker jack.....you will be much happier.
Demoore2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Hob

Isn't it strange that Lippert frames under many 5th wheels are junk and their jacks are too? That tells me Lippert makes junk. I bought a 2011 V-Lite because of it being a straight pull which made me feel a little better about the frame. Lo and behold, the frame under it was a Dexter before Lippert got ahold of them to ruin the Dexter name too. Lippert is really making a name for themselves with their frame and jack problems.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote