Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #1

Looking at buying '08 Cherokee

We have been looking at buying a 2008 Cherokee Patriot. It is the 29 ft model with no slide out. We were pretty much ready to purchase as the price was outstanding. We now found out it does not come with a spare tire or with leveling jacks. We are new to camping and are wondering if there are other things we need that it doesn't come with. The salesman wasn't very helpful as he told us it was ready to camp when we went home with it and then after we quizzed we found out it didn't have those two things. What else should we ask???

Also, I am concerned because someone told us that the Patriot model is so cheap because it is poorly constructed. Any thoughts? We were looking for a good used camper, but can get this new one for about the same amount of money.

The camper will set outside during good weather and will be inside my father-in-laws shed during the winter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! We want something that will stay nice for a good number of years.
lookin4camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #2

I for one have never heard of the patroit? Even on the web site
for Forest River I do not recall this model, especially in an 08.
I have the Cherokee Grey Wolf, (See above pic).
26FT BH Nice layout that is very common. Love the tinted windows.
Right around $13,000. Mine does have leveling jacks and spare tire.

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I can't even find that model on Google! Is it something new?

Every travel trailer I ever bought had jacks and a spare tire. That's just weird.

Welcome to the group

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #4

I believe it is a Grey Wolf Patriot Edition. According to the dealer it is so cheap $10,500 because they can buy such a large quantity. Maybe it is because they aren't supplying you with the spare tire, jacks, and I'm not sure what else??? Someone else told me it might be units build for FEMA that now have a brand name on them?? We are so confused!!! That camper is definitely in our price range, but now we aren't sure whether to look for a used camper still within that price range or to go for the new one.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
RAC

I am confused too. I see the 28DD which is a 29 footer with no slide, but nothing resembling a "Patriot" edition. perhaps that's just what the dealer calls it?
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #6

The 26BH is the exact same floor plan. It is Grey Wolf Series. I don't see the word Patriot anywhere, but is has a that on the back of the trailer and that is how the dealer is advertising it.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #7

Usually the jacks are standard. it is a no-slide model so maybe thats why there are no jacks! never heard of a patriot model either? maybe it`s a dealer gimmick designation?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #8

Check with the sales person about Battery,awning ,AC,Sewerhookup supplies,Water pump,Inverter, and boy oh boy I would avoid those FEMA campers unless you want to take your chances on one that has't been used to much But that means they have probably been sitting somewhere down south in the sun baking for the last couple years BEWARE
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #9

There is a dealer in Omaha that sells a lot of Patriot editions, According to them it is a "special" model that they get from Forest River. No Stove, No freezer, small water and holding tanks, cheaply built. We also looked at a couple before deciding we could do a lot better with a used one. We found a used Cherokee 29Z and just love the trailer. Just remember you get what you pay for.
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #10

This would be the one we are looking at. What would be a good size water and holding tank? We found a used camper my husband is going to go look at today.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #11

In my short TT experience with 3 little ones potty training, a pregnant wife, a husband that likes to drink beer (thats me) and a 100 yd walk to the shower house about a 1000 gal black tank, 1500 gal grey tank and we have water hook up. Just kidding. ours are about 40ish gal each and that seems pretty standard in a small camper which works fine for us. The little ones use it the wife uses it sparingly and i use it rarely, plus for $9 they will pump it out. We have been there for almost 2 weeks and they have pumped it twice. Mainly what we fill up is the grey water, our children wash there hands alot and my wife can't go to the shower house when I am at work and leave the three little ones ( twins girls 2 yrs old and a son 3) so she showers in there.
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
ahhhhhh. It's good to be TANK FREE!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
RAC

I always say, never bring a gun to a tank fight.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #14

Ours has a 36 gal grey tank and a 27 gal black tank. we have never filled the black tank, figure it should last a week. grey tank on the other hand will last us only a day and a half, we're not very good at water conservation.
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #15

Ok, Here's the facts!

Hello all!!
I just thought I would clear up any confusion as to what is the Patriot edition Grey wolf 26BH! There is a dealer in Omaha NE called A.C. Nelson that is buying in volume to get a great price from Forest river. The dealership is who is making them into the "Patriot editions". There are two versions of the patriot edition. The patriot edition one comes with just basic equipment, A/C, stove, no oven, no jacks or spare tire and they are a true cut down version! Made for those who do not have alot of money to spend. You can buy this version from them for $125.00 a month, around $10,500(their advertised price before haggling). Then there is the Patriot edition two which is the much better version which comes with a/c, stove w/oven, large refrig/freezer, leveling jacks, spare tire with cover, Two oversized chairs, small American flags for a window display on the outside of the camper and Lights for the awning. Their advertised price for the edition 2 is $145.00 a month, $12,995(advertised price before haggling) Both editions only come in one color, the southwest.

The reason I know this is we bought the patriot 2 early this summer from the dealership and we are completely in love with it! The dealership did an excellent job taking care of us showing us everything we wanted to look at before we bought it and also did a complete walk through upon delivery. If anyone likes I can get the exact list of what is included. But that is the story!!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 AM   #16

Very good and well appreciated information.
Only thing is now I feel jipped.
I paid 13,995 after financing.
I didn't get FREE AWNING LIGHTS!

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
Kind of a Big Deal

My Cherokee is 2 days old. Pretty excited, but likely won't squeeze in a camping trip this year. I bought mine for $9995!! From a dealer in Green Bay WI. Got it shipped 1100 miles to Minot where I drove 350 miles, across the border, to pick it up. All and all saved $5000CAD on the deal. My family and I have been hanging out in it while it's parked in front of my house. Big upgrade from 17ft hybrid we owned before!
YZ450 and TTR-50 for the boy
Todddob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee