Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 11:56 PM   #1

Looking for comments on Cherokee 274DBH

I'm new to the forum but I have found a TT that my wife and I like. We were initially looking at a used TT option but I have noted that they aren't that much different in price when considering the upgrades needed to bring it up to where we would like (new mattresses, flooring, tires, ect) There is an RV show locally this week and we have visited several dealers within the month and they will have reduced pricing for the show. The trailer we like is the Cherokee 274DBH. We have an 11 year old to consider and feel the bunks are the way to go.

I have looked at other trailers and read several reviews of others but the time is coming up for the decision. I want to stay around 6300 lbs max dry and the length appears to be acceptable.

If you have comments on this TT or any other that is similar I would love to hear from you. There is one of these trailers on Ebay currently for 17K which seems to be a little lower than what I have found locally. I'm hoping the show will have good deals.

I have read a lot of comments on this forum but I'm hoping there will be more coming in..

Thanks!
Gunnar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 AM   #2

We just got our Grey Wolf 27DBS and love it! 6,282 dry and the half bunk slide with a couch in the back and the opposite side back door was exactly what we were looking for.
Glampster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

I have a 26DBH, very similar if not almost identical to the 27. Love ours very much. 15,000 miles on it towing and it is like a champ. Great size and weight. Has all we need to be happy campers.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

We have a Grey Wolf 26DBH, the 274's almost identical twin (I did a write up on the differences last spring
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bh-101945.html ). We purchased a 2016 in June of 2015....our summer of 2015 had no issues....2016 brought a bunch of stuff, some of it structural. We loved the layout when we bought it, but have come to learn a few things that would have led us down another road "if we had only known or realized".

First: No storage for the bunk users. The only storage on that side of the TT outside the bathroom is the pantry....

Second: The pantry looks HUGE! Which becomes a problem because it's HUGE! If you don't fill it up, stuff flies around. The problem with filling it up, is it becomes a huge pain to get stuff in and out without reorganizing every time because....it's HUGE!

Third: Construction. It's wood construction with tin siding. The tin siding is like a soda can..it's almost to the point that if something even as light as a broom handle falls against it, you will have a ding in the tin. The walls are also only held to the floor with small gauge screws! I found this out, because two of mine broke in the front right corner and the right front had risen 1/2" over the left front. I resolved the issue myself by using plates and bolts to bring it back down, but something is still off about it. I couldn't believe that's all they used. And having a construction design backround, I can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't have just used the longer bolts that hold the floor to the frame and just gone through the sill plate with those. We're also having the tin on the front replace because of peeling paint after 1 year. It's peeling because they didn't prime it first!

We thought this unit would be great for our growing family, and for the most part, it has been. The structural issues are hit an miss....unfortunately for us, we've had a few. The storage quirks of this unit are something we wish we would've had more foresight. Because there's nowhere easy to go with some of our toddlers stuff, we have stuff ALL OVER the place all weekend. There's always something on the dinette, or the back bed. We went all in on this unit, being it was at the top of our budget for a camper, so we have to make due. I'm planning on some storage solutions under the back bunks, under the unused dinette section and under the front bed.

If I could do it all over again, I would go with this unit instead.

New 2017 Forest River RV Vibe Extreme Lite 287QBS Travel Trailer at Quietwoods RV | Sturgeon Bay, WI | #4462

It has multiple things that I think make it constructed better, and has things that make it more user friendly for very little more money.

Fiberglass shell
Outdoor kitchen
Aluminum Frame construction
Rear room with wardrobe and door! (Our biggest issue is when we put our son to bed, everything else dies for the night. We can't go in and out (Except the bathroom because it has a separate door) without waking him up. We also can't do ANYTHING in the AM without disturbing him, whereas if we had the back room, at least we could get up and start the day.

I know some of the above might sound nitpicky, or maybe even a little bitter. Maybe it's just a little regret though. I'm not sure if any of it will help you or not, but it's just a few things that "if we'd have known" that would have made a difference in our decision making. We still can't wait to go camping, and we still mostly like our current camper.

Happy Camping!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Had a 26DBH for 3 years and loved it. Only Con was no real 'living space', but enough to get by.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

Wow

Great information. I haven't been camping in a while. It's funny that I started looking at used TTs then rapidly moved up in costs to a new one. Who knows where this will end. I really like the Vibe lite but not sure if I can swing it.
Gunnar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

We bought our 274DBH in April of 2015. It has been a great trailer for us. The bunks for our 8 year old and her friends where just what we needed. The only change we made was replacing the short queen mattress in the master bed room the factory one was terrible. So far it has been a trouble free trailer other than some minor issues that the dealer took care of for us.
RC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #8

Grey wolf 28bh

We bought a 2014 grey wolf 28bh used last year and abosoulutely love it. I'm glad we went used because no matter what I would replace the mattresses because the ones that come in TT are the worse. Maybe not right away in a new one but in my opinion considering what you pay for these trailers the mattresses are pathetic in them . Everything else in our trailer is awesome!
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
RND

Bought ours in May or June of 2016, so far, we love it. The wife really loves it which matters most since she wasn't really a fan of camping. Tried it a few years ago with a THOR A.C.E. and we had it 4 months. What does that tell you? Exactly, she hated it but I couldn't blame her. Anyhow, our 274dbh had treated us well so far. Used it about 3 times before the winter set in and can't wait to get it back out. We also purchased it new after looking at used ones. Was worth the extra few bucks to buy new in my opinion.

Also, if you buy new, make sure to look through the manufacturer paperwork for the extended warranty. I wasn't made aware of it until it was too late. You have ten (10) days to get in the extended warranty info in for the manufacturer to give you another year, I believe, for dirt cheap. The dealer will not mention that to you because they want you to purchase it through them for much, Much MORE. And, if you miss the 10 days, there is zero chance of them giving it to you. Believe me, I tried. How this helps.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
2009 Yamaha Yz250f
RND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #10

274DBH

Knew nothing about TT, just went looking to see what we both liked. Bought the 274DBH last August. Sure some minor issues, but have been very pleased with how we have been taken care of. Had an issue at the front cap roof seem, some sealer cracked. Checked in every day with the repair process. I thought they would just apply more sealer, and was shocked when they peeled back about 6ft of the roof to make sure it got a good seal. Glad I caught that before any big rain. Other small items were taken care of also, but like many, still waiting for some ordered parts. At least I know I'm am being well cared for on the factory repairs. It would be nice if things were a little faster, but as long as it gets done I'm OK with that. It is a lot different than the Automotive Dealerships. Things move a little quicker than what TT dealerships do. Still well pleased with what we have. Mine is just over 7K pounds, tows well, lots of room, storage etc. Everything works well. I try to keep an eye on things, and keep seals etc. maintained. You really have to do a little more than what your instructions tell you to do. I'm really thankful for this forum, read lots, look for more, learn from others, seek and you will fine. Buy it, use it, care for it, and you will enjoy it all the more. Before you know it you will be caught up in all the Mods. everyone does. There are lots of great ideas. Pick and choose, make it your own. Again thanks to all who share.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RND View Post
And, if you miss the 10 days, there is zero chance of them giving it to you. Believe me, I tried. How this helps.
Keep trying....they've let people buy them 50 weeks after. Tell them your dealer never told you about it or something of the sort. Honestly, you shouldn't even need to take it that far, but keep trying if you want it.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
RND

I've tried, talked to representatives but have been denied. And the time past the 10 days wasn't even by much either. Flat out denied me but I guess I should have been more diligent and looked thru the paperwork sooner.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
2009 Yamaha Yz250f
RND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

I have a Grey Wolf 26RR and I love it! Just bought it over a year ago. The weight and size sold me, and the price. It is pretty well built, better than the last camper I had. If I had it to do over again, I would order from the factory. I wanted a bunch of additions which took me a lot of time to get done. Price wise I did not save that much at all. I was looking for a toy hauler but the main chassis and box are the same across the Cherokee brand. Make sure you have a truck to handle it, and not close in rating but way more than the weight of the camper. Made that mistake with my first camper, bought a bigger truck in less than a year.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #14

We bought a 274 DBH last year and love it!!! It's our first TT and definitely a newbie to all of this but it seems like a great investment.
Astpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #15

We bought a 26DBH last February and are happy with our purchase.
DS,12 DW and me, the Dad. When camping the living space is outside, we just sleep in it, use oven for biscuits for gravy and if it rains come in.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #16

We bought our 274dbh last August. But it's a 2017 model. Got it for $21,500. No issues with about 4 trips last summer. Have a bunch already planned for next year. I did get the extra year warrant for $150. Got a mattress gel cover for queen bed. Put in gas spring to hold up storage in master. Outdoor kitchen off propane valve. Bunch of other little mods. Love the LED lights, electric awning, moving tv in and out and layout. It's a good entry level priced trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483912774.863465.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	127719Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483912810.728377.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	127720Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483912838.607823.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	127721

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 forest river Cherokee limited 274dbh

Tow vehicle 2011 Toyota Tundra crewmax 5.7l v8. 4x4
kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcflores View Post
We bought our 274dbh last August. But it's a 2017 model. Got it for $21,500. No issues with about 4 trips last summer.

2 ?s what propane hose do you have, where did you get it and how many miles on Tundra?

We have a 13 Tundra CM and the same Camp chef set up, we really like the 2 burned stove.
Thanks.
John
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post
2 ?s what propane hose do you have, where did you get it and how many miles on Tundra?

We have a 13 Tundra CM and the same Camp chef set up, we really like the 2 burned stove.

Thanks.

John

I found the hose online thru Walmart of all places. It's a camp chef specific hose.

That's my old tundra. Was a 2011 with 75k miles. Used equalizer 4pt sway hitch and tows great. I upgraded truck to 2017 with 6" lift. Haven't towed with it yet. Also turn your jack so the tundra tailgate can fully drop Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483916563.073856.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	127724Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483916586.964055.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	127725Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483916610.027622.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	127726

kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 AM   #19

I love my 274dbh. Lots of room and great look for the money. No complaints in the 2 years I've owned it.
dvdj2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #20

We love ours, no complaints here x2

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee