Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Just talked to the man that owns our Winter storage lot. He has a professional exterminator out every month. Mice come looking for something to eat. He feeds them food with poison in it. They eat it and die. The amount of poison they eat isn't enough to kill anything that might eat them. Check with any professional exterminator. They will all tell you the same thing. They don't use dryer sheets, peppermint, moth balls, rubberized under coating......none of this. If you think this crap works it's only because you have no mice to start with...
I have no issues with poisoning mice... the problem I have is that if they have made a nest in your RV, antique car or truck, shed or where ever and they eat the poison... they have to go somewhere to die. generally in a wall, under a sink or around your electrical inverter or drawers (couch or under the mattress).

I would rather keep them at bay than have them come in for a special treat.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
We have tried everything - dryer sheets, mothballs, starving cats (just kidding) and nothing worked. We bought a product called "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent at Tractor Supply. Since then, we have not found any evidence of mice in our tt. It smells quite pleasant and comes in small bags that you place around your tt. Apparently the mice do not like the smell. I even use it in my garage and basement. Now I have probably jinxed myself.

Bob
I use it also, but I do not know if it works as I am using it as a preventative. There is also the hubbub about mint. There are some cheap alternatives which I might try.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #23

So, peppermint oil does or doesn't work. Dryer sheets, etc. Seems every year this issue gets discussed. Lets assume that mouse infestation is a function of where your RV rests. Safe to assume, if its a rural field nearby, more mice. If you're in suburbia, probably less. The object here gentlemen (ladies I'll assume we got this task assigned) is to eradicate, not try to repel in my humble opinion. I say that because, since a female will "drop a brood" about every 21 days or so, you need to kill these buggers quick, and in short order. Of course you remove all attractants, button up as many holes with steel wool, foam etc. to deter easy entry. But our job here gentlemen is to kill them, before they chew us into an annoying insurance claim, or lengthy repair in Spring.
Make a 5 gal bucket trap. Put RV anti-freeze in the bottom and let them take a cold swim (northern climate owners) before they DROWN! Then, when you have eliminated the "area" population, you can kick back with a cup of coffee and reflect on your conquest.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #24

Around here you have to have a licence to buy the poison baits because of the secondary-kill problem. All the 'repellents' seem to be unreliable depending on the determination of the mouse (we have some pretty determined mice here in the country).

I use a trap just inside the RV door and check it every few days (obviously you have to have convenient access for this to work). My favorite kind of trap is the beige plastic clamshell with the bait on a trigger platform (I think the brand is Wilson and they come in a two-pack). This is the most effective inexpensive trap I have used over the years - usually get around half a dozen a year, mostly in the garage and none in the RV so far.

DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #25

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Ummm ... just 'cause we haven't seen it mentioned in a number of "Mice" threads ...

Four-Legged Mouse Trap ???

Our neighbors keep a couple of them around, and we derive a "free" benefit.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #26
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
Ummm ... just 'cause we haven't seen it mentioned in a number of "Mice" threads ...

Four-Legged Mouse Trap ???

Our neighbors keep a couple of them around, and we derive a "free" benefit.
Some cats are great mousers. A former neighbor's cat used to leave us presents on the front step all the time - birds, mice, squirrels and bats - all half eaten. Others haven't got a clue what to do with them.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #27
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
I have no issues with poisoning mice... the problem I have is that if they have made a nest in your RV, antique car or truck, shed or where ever and they eat the poison... they have to go somewhere to die. generally in a wall, under a sink or around your electrical inverter or drawers (couch or under the mattress).

I would rather keep them at bay than have them come in for a special treat.
We had one die in a Kleenex box in a cupboard this past Spring. Fortunately it wasn't hard to locate and remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Make a 5 gal bucket trap. Put RV anti-freeze in the bottom and let them take a cold swim (northern climate owners) before they DROWN! Then, when you have eliminated the "area" population, you can kick back with a cup of coffee and reflect on your conquest.
The 5 gal bucket trap may be effective but its inhumane. No different than people that put unwanted cats in a bag and toss it in the river. But I understand that if you have an infestation that may be the least of your concerns.

I'm in the camp that says the first option is to keep them out, but once they're in you need to use quick kill traps if the deterrents don't drive them out.

Where I store my TT (for free) at my cousin's farm, I have to be concerned about her dog that runs lose on the property. I don't want to do anything to harm the dog.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #28

I swear by Rat Zappers with a Rat Tale. I keep one in our TT, 5er, Chicken House and Garage. They have paid for themselves many times over by preventing damage. Last month we boon docked for 5 days, the next night when I was getting something out of the basement I saw the Rat Tale blinking, sure enough there was a little dead field mouse in there! Also, about a week after we got home and put the 5er in it's parking place on our property I saw those blinking lights again, this time I found a big dead tree rat! I hope we didn't travel with him! Here's a link. Good Luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-RZ...t+zapper&psc=1
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We had one die in a Kleenex box in a cupboard this past Spring. Fortunately it wasn't hard to locate and remove.

The 5 gal bucket trap may be effective but its inhumane. No different than people that put unwanted cats in a bag and toss it in the river. But I understand that if you have an infestation that may be the least of your concerns.

I'm in the camp that says the first option is to keep them out, but once they're in you need to use quick kill traps if the deterrents don't drive them out.

Where I store my TT (for free) at my cousin's farm, I have to be concerned about her dog that runs lose on the property. I don't want to do anything to harm the dog.
What on earth are you saying. What dog would be injured by the five gallon bucket trap. You, respectfully have no idea what I am talking about. As for providing them a nice swim before a gentle hypothermia bout, i'd take that any day, rather than blunt force trauma to the bodies mid section, causing internal bleeding and respiratory asphyxiation. Although, after typing that, it doesn't sound too bad. Yeah, I like how you think.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #30
Canadian Member

The dog wouldn't be affected by water in the bucket but he'd probably get into the RV antifreeze. If you bait it with peanut butter he'd definitely be attracted to it. He might even be inclined to knock over the bucket just for fun.

My concern about the dog is really more about using poison than the bucket though.