Old 09-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

More Under Bed Storage, Fixing factory quality control - Wolf Pup Mod

On my Wolf Pup 16BHS, I have that large under bed storage area that is easily accessible when lifting the bed. Since purchase, the thin wall that seperates/protects the water heater and water pump has bothered me. Call it being anal, but it was so crooked, it took away at least 10 inches of storage space. Looks like it was this crooked because of the crappy job the factory did sealing the water lines that come from the fresh water tank. The factory just sprays a ton of foam to seal the hole, about 8 inches more then required.

I decided to clean it up a bit. Trimming the foam back, change the placement of water pump, and straighten the dividing wall.

Step 1: Cut back some foam, move water pump, and straighten the wall.

Step 2: Cut away more foam. After moving water pump and cutting away foam, I'm left with extra storage.

Step 3: Build a box to divide the extra space now used to store a tool bag and winterizing kit.

K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #2

Again, I did similar to straighten that slapped in under bed internal dividing wall. I also cut the front half at an angle to match the front wall.
It looks like you do not have your water heater plugged into the electric. That outlet rearward of the water heater is its power source when not on gas. There should be a cord with a plug on it for the water heater.
One thing. As you move items that are screwed through the floor, fill the previous holes with silicone or caulking of some sort. Less critter holes.
I considered adding a storage box by the water pump but I try hard not to have the front bed up anymore than I have to. I'd load rarely used items in there IF I were to add it. Still?

2018 16 days camped, 2019 9 days so far.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Again, I did similar to straighten that slapped in under bed internal dividing wall. I also cut the front half at an angle to match the front wall.
It looks like you do not have your water heater plugged into the electric. That outlet rearward of the water heater is its power source when not on gas. There should be a cord with a plug on it for the water heater.
One thing. As you move items that are screwed through the floor, fill the previous holes with silicone or caulking of some sort. Less critter holes.
I considered adding a storage box by the water pump but I try hard not to have the front bed up anymore than I have to. I'd load rarely used items in there IF I were to add it. Still?
Actually, I did cut the front divider slightly to follow the curve.

I leave the water heater unplugged so no one turns it on from the outside. Ive been doing that since I heard stories of some idiots going around flipping hot water tanks electric power on. I haven't even used the water heater this season.

Another good point... The holes left from moving the water pump, of course I filled them with silicon.

Actually used the same silicon to fill in the gaps in the front along the floor, also where the gas line comes in from floor, and near the water heater. As you can see, I had an Ant problem last season, they were all coming from under the water heater (must has removed 100+ ants). I crawled underneath/outside and found some gaps in the foam where power, water and gas line entered. Sealed as much as I could. This season, NO ANTS or any bugs for that matter.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

Almost forgot... Bed frame supports

While working under the bed, I noticed the platform for the bed was coming apart at the corners. I saw almost a 1/4 inch of separation at many of the far corners. Also noticed one support was askew (the wood frame support was starting to rotate from where the strut attached). When lifting the bed, you see the entire support begin to rotate from the pressure of the strut.

I hammered the supports back in place so they sit flush. The Skewed/rotated support was a bit more difficult. That support was rotated almost 45 degrees. A lot of pressure was required to rotate that 2x2 support flush.

After getting the frame looking back to factory, I added 4 "L-Brackets" to the corners to keep the frame from coming apart again. I then removed the handle and front plastic trim from bed frame. I screwed two screws into the ends of the support braces to provide more strength. Not only does the bed feel more solid, it opens much better when accessing the storage area underneath.

Id have to say to every Wolf Pup owner, take a close look at your bed frame, and maybe put some screws in the bed frame now as preventative maintenance.

Tags
bed, factory, quality, storage, wolf pup