Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

Need a WDH with a HD truck?

Hello from Minnesota

The wife and I recently bought a Grey Wolf 29TE, I’m very torn on having the dealer do a WDH while it’s there ( not picking up till April with this lovely MN weather ), the dealer said my truck ( 2014 Ram 2500 diesel ) is overkill for this this trailer but I might want one for sway control but I probably won’t need one, so I’m torn on doing one at all or I have been eyeing up the, Husky center line, Reese steadi-flex and a Curt trutrack hitch, all of these look like I don’t have the added sway control that you drill into the trailer and have to take off in tight situations, do I save the $300-$600, anyone have some input or experience with these WDH?

Thanks Matt
mz_cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #2

A friction slide sway control bar would give you the anti sway you want without the cost of a WDH.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

I would get one. Equalizer is what I would get it. In some states it is the law of the trailers over 5000 pounds. Still in any case makes pulling so much better.
Thumper2811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
A friction slide sway control bar would give you the anti sway you want without the cost of a WDH.

The side mount friction sway controls are terrible. I tried one of my old trailer which was 30 feet then doubled up on the other side still the same deal
Thumper2811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

I second the Equalizer E4. You do not have to remove it when reversing. You can install yourself, likely save some money. It seems most dealer installs still require readjusting later anyway.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #6

I have a Windjammer and a weight distribution isn't essential for my Ram 3500 single rear wheel. I'm using a Reece Straight-Line hitch, though, with the sway control cams. It improves the ride when it is windy and/or I'm on the interstate with lots of 18-wheelers. It does require drilling on the camper, but it doesn't have to be dropped for backing. In my mind, a weight distribution with sway control is worth the cost.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #7

We have the steadi-flex on a Roo 233s and are very happy with it... install was easy...lik you I didn't want to drill my frame either. No ugly chains hanging down so it it a very clean set-up. Also very quiet once you break it in.
dodr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 AM   #8

Used the Equil-I-Zer hitch with my 2016 Ram 2500 on our last TT and loved it. Simple to hook up and install yourself.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 AM   #9

I’d go with a 10k Equalizer. You’re probably over 900# tongue weight. Ask the dealer how much they want to install one. Like Woody said, depending on the dealer, you may have to readjust it.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:50 AM   #10

I'm using an Equalizer with my Silverado 2500HD and Mini Lite 2503s. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:06 AM   #11

I don't think your truck would require it but a RAM guy can confirm. You could tow it home and see how it feels before you make the call.

Better to set it up yourself IMOP. My dealer jacked it up and I had to take it to a real trailer shop to have someone show me (I should have just read the instructions and did it myself).

Personally I would get one with sway control. There are many options if you don't want to unhook to back up. Check etrailer as I think that is even an option you can select. It is listed on each WDH on their site as a feature bullet.

I have a blueox swaypro. It backs fine but I will disconnect the bars when I know I could be at an angle for disconnect. It is possible to do it at angles but I don't like the stress it puts on the setup and me. I do like no potential friction noise from it as well as no backing issues.

Others like the equil-i-zer I don't believe the angle is an issue in hooking and unhooking but someone else should confirm. I have also heard that noise is not as much of an issue as I thought it could be. I was used to the friction bars.

Good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #12

When I bought my trailer in '04, I went and picked it up with my old 750lb Reese with no sway control. It worked perfect with my previous 20' trailer. It was a terrible windy weekend (one of my lower body skirts blew right off my brand new trailer) and with the bounce and sway I could not exceed 50mph.

I went with the Equalizer 4 way 1200 lb. and have not regretted it one second. No sway, no bounce, no problems with semis (can just barely feel them). A little jerk and noise in tight turns in the campground, but it's a small price to pay.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_cummins View Post
Hello from Minnesota

The wife and I recently bought a Grey Wolf 29TE, I’m very torn on having the dealer do a WDH while it’s there ( not picking up till April with this lovely MN weather ), the dealer said my truck ( 2014 Ram 2500 diesel ) is overkill for this this trailer but I might want one for sway control but I probably won’t need one, so I’m torn on doing one at all or I have been eyeing up the, Husky center line, Reese steadi-flex and a Curt trutrack hitch, all of these look like I don’t have the added sway control that you drill into the trailer and have to take off in tight situations, do I save the $300-$600, anyone have some input or experience with these WDH?

Thanks Matt
Hi Matt,

Welcome here from MN also...
Last year I was debating the same thing as you and I decided to put the trailer on the ball and see how it goes. The trailer tows smooth with no sway so I didn't buy a WDH with sway control. I do weigh the tongue every time to know/understand how my load is affecting the trailer and truck. (my tongue weight can vary quite a bit due to the trailer being a toyhauler)

The tow vehicle makes a difference as does the trailer. My truck doesn't require a WDH until 2000lbs on the ball. I don't know about yours and you should definitely check...it might require one at 1000lbs and if it does I would suggest you get a WDH.

If you do get a WDH and let the dealer set it up make sure you double check every aspect of them setting it up.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #14

Big TV with Light Weight TT,first thing is look at the Info Tag on the TV Hitch, at what # does it say you must use W/D? Now if your TW is going to require W/D it is up to You on What Kind,some Demand "Preload" for the activation of the Sway Control! The more preload the More S/C,BUT it is also reducing the weight on the rear of TV,Not needed if you have a HD TV and a Light T/W TT! Clamp type Friction Bars in this case supply the Sway Control Without "Lifting/Unloading" the rear of TV! There are many types of "W/D-S/C" systems,what works for your Neighbor/Friend may not be for your Application! Youroo!!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #15
Canadian Member

Welcome from the Toronto, Canada area.

I use an Equal-i-zer 4 point WDH (12K model) with our F-250 and 32’ long TT (7300# loaded). You’ll definitely want some sway control even if you don’t think you need weight distribution. If you had a long bed dually you might be able to get away without either but I’d still use an Equal-i-zer. Your going to be towing a big kite that’ll grab a lot of air and be susceptible to winds and passing tractor trailers. The Husky Center Line hitch is similar to the Equal-i-zer 4 point.

I ordered my Equal-i-zer from RV Wholesalers in OH and re-installed it myself after the dealer screwed it up. Even if the dealer does a decent job you’ll need to adjust the setup after you get the trailer fully loaded with all your gear, food, clothes, etc. So if you’re handy, I’d recommend you install it yourself.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #16

My $0.02. I'd go with the equalizer hitch, any thing that could make my life less stressful is a plus in my book. Yes your truck can do it without but with is only going to benefit you and the truck. I don't care how strong the truck is it will still not ride at regular height with a trailer connected, unless you have air bags. Also with out it it's only going to take it's toll on you shocks and leaf springs, not sure how long your planning on keeping the truck. Also if it keeps the truck closer to regular height is a plus on dirt roads and back country. I need all the height I could get in some of the places we go, yet I haven't scraped the hitch yet. Also what a lot of people don't consider is you also have to throw the weight of what's in you truck into the equation also. I have a family of 5 and we have quite a bit of stuff that we take since most of the places we go don't have any of the amenities that camp grounds have. I think you should do it.
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #17

Hi Matt from a fellow Minnesotan,

Yes, you do need a WDH system. Given the right conditions trailer sway could still take out a HD truck without a WDH. I've used a couple different systems in the past, but prefer the Equalizer WDH, which will work great with your setup. It makes towing a TT a lot nicer and safer for you and those around you.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #18

Thanks for the responses

Not sure on my trucks exact specs but it’s got a 2.5” receiver

Trailer is 837 hitch and 6428 dry

I’m leaning towards the curt trutrack because it’s greasesble and seems better priced but also just came across the ez lift R6 that seems nice

I’m getting lost in all these WDH systems, they are all chain less and have integrated away control, why are some $300 and some $800
mz_cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_cummins View Post
Thanks for the responses

Not sure on my trucks exact specs but it’s got a 2.5” receiver

Trailer is 837 hitch and 6428 dry

I’m leaning towards the curt trutrack because it’s greasesble and seems better priced but also just came across the ez lift R6 that seems nice

I’m getting lost in all these WDH systems, they are all chain less and have integrated away control, why are some $300 and some $800
Another recommendation for Equalizer.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #20

Blue Ox...you'll be glad you did...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck