Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

New Cherokee 274DBH

Hi all!
My wife and I just bought a 274DBH and are going to pick it up tomorrow.
We are looking into 2 important items to purchase.
A generator that will run the A/C - What size generator? Our salesman said the A/C will pull 21 amps at startup and then drop to 11 amps. How many Watts?

The second is what size TV can the inside and outside bracket hold? I guess weight would be the important thing here.
Thanks so much!
MattyC
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

For the generator there is so many threads on subject, start reading....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gener...KoTnsATJjoKICQ
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Hi all!
My wife and I just bought a 274DBH and are going to pick it up tomorrow.
We are looking into 2 important items to purchase.
A generator that will run the A/C - What size generator? Our salesman said the A/C will pull 21 amps at startup and then drop to 11 amps. How many Watts?

The second is what size TV can the inside and outside bracket hold? I guess weight would be the important thing here.
Thanks so much!
MattyC
The most common for your situation is 4KW. You can get by with a 3KW but, if your running the AC and the decide to use the microwave, while the coffee pot is on, your AC will suffer low voltage on start up. Do that a few times and you'll be replacing parts in your AC.
One very popular way to get 4kw is with a pair of Honda EU2000i units. One standard EU2000i and one EU2000i Companion. Use just one when your not needing the AC, or hook them together for 4kw total. Very quiet and long run time.
Compared to an Onan 4kw, they, together, weight half the Onan and cost less too. Shop around, you can buy them as a package with everything you need.
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

Thanks!

Thanks fonzie and thanks to GDavidHughes for the help.
We will be looking over these links and generators. Noise is always a concern. Don't want to ruin someone vacation with a generator that would wake the neighbors.
Take care!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

As far as the television brackets, I can tell you that I have a 32" LED and while light enough to hang, the VESA (the screw pattern on the back for the mount to attach to) is too large for what came with the camper, and it does not appear that PAW makes a larger version.

Check the pattern on the TV you're looking at and ensure that the distance between the holes is the same as the PAW mount that came with the trailer. I believe the one that comes from FR is designed to hold up to a 30 lb. TV.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #6

Oh and for the record - the 32" LED fits perfectly on the shelf on top of the entertainment center. Just have to use the TV base and not the wall mount.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #7

Congrats on your new Cherokee 274DBH.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

Going at noon to pick her up. Time is going so slow right now.

I will look into the TV bracket from FR - cdangel0

We are so excited. Half our friends are coming over tonight to see. Just worried I put on a great show backing it into the driveway for the first time.

Thanks - Wiscampsin!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

I'm in the same boat pick up my new 274dbh on Monday and so nervous about driving it. Never really towed anything bigger than a 19' boat! Let me know what your first impressions are with the trailer.
Astpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

We brought it home over the ridge where the wind is VERY gusty. By the time we got home (81 miles) the last 30 miles was pretty easy. Just remember that the trailer is wide and you need to stay in the center of the lane. I hope you are getting an electric brake system Astpman. The guy at the garage said not to use the tow/haul button. Not sure if I believe him. He says it just wastes gas. I went from about 14.5 MPG to 9 MPG towing 6100#.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

I just installed the brake controller last night, WD hitch the dealer is installing on Monday when I pick up. My concern is the weight, our 2015 GX460 is rated at 6500 lbs so it's really close.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #12

Did you buy it at Camping World?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #13

I hate the weight police, but this trailer dry (meaning no propane, no battery, no food, no clothing, no dishes, no beer) leaves the factory just shy of 6300 lbs.

Start tacking on "stuff" and you're going to be well over the towing capacity of your truck.

I tow with an Expedition and a 9300# tow rating and can definitely tell the Cherokee is back there.

As far as the Tow/Haul button - I use it every time, RPMs race and performance really suffers when I don't.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
As far as the television brackets, I can tell you that I have a 32" LED and while light enough to hang, the VESA (the screw pattern on the back for the mount to attach to) is too large for what came with the camper, and it does not appear that PAW makes a larger version.

Check the pattern on the TV you're looking at and ensure that the distance between the holes is the same as the PAW mount that came with the trailer. I believe the one that comes from FR is designed to hold up to a 30 lb. TV.

As a follow-up to my own comments on the VESA pattern on the TV. I emailed PAW yesterday and they provided the below link to purchase an adapter to convert their smaller (100x100 / 75x75) bracket to the larger 100x200 VESA pattern.

Universal Polymer TV Adapter Bracket Vesa 200mm x 100mm | eBay

Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #15

Congrats on the new Cherokee. My wife and I just purchased a new 274dbh this year as well. I have a 32" led mounted to the paw mount over entertainment center. I did have to relocate the paw mount higher because the TV mount location was high on the back but other than that slight modification it fit great. One word of caution, our trailer had stickers in the bedroom identifying a TV backer board behind the sliding doors and ceiling. When talking to the dealer they removed the sticker from the ceiling because they couldn't locate what they thought would be anything in the ceiling that would support a TV mount. I found a mount that fits between the doors allowing them to close fully, so I mounted a 22" TV in bedroom.
Aaron015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Depending on when you plan to take your new toy out for its first trip, you might want the dealer to rewinterize it after doing the PDI. Weather looks like it could be in the low 20's in PA this weekend. Get the dealer to show you how to winterize and dewinterize.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #17

Aaron would you mind telling me which mount you used in the bedroom as I bought 2 thinking they would work but no luck.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #18

Well we made the 1 hour trip home towing with the GX460 and it handled and drove really nice so feel a bit more confident! So far our first impressions of the 274DBH is awesome!! My wife thinks it looks like a night club inside with those blue LEDS but I love them!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astpman View Post
Aaron would you mind telling me which mount you used in the bedroom as I bought 2 thinking they would work but no luck.
Here is the mount I used, I just checked amazon and it's currently unavailable but if you find one of similar dimensions it should work just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427938540833.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	72770  
Aaron015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astpman View Post
Well we made the 1 hour trip home towing with the GX460 and it handled and drove really nice so feel a bit more confident! So far our first impressions of the 274DBH is awesome!! My wife thinks it looks like a night club inside with those blue LEDS but I love them!

Excellent! I'm sure you'll love it, we do ours. I'm adding a dimmer to the LEDs this weekend to make them a little friendlier on the eyes - mine make my camper look like an alien spacecraft has landed in the woods.

Tags
cherokee