Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #1

New Grey Wolf 26BH

Hi Everyone. So my wife bought a new 26bh from a local dealer, she has been wanting an RV for years because my Idea of camping is a motel 6 opposed to a Hampton Inn. Anyhow I want to know what to look at when I pick it up next week. I had her get all the option because I didn't know what I really needed and what I didn't better safe than sorry type theory. Where are the tanks and these hoses that can leak that everyone talks about. The only friend I have that has an rv lives about 5 hours away and I doubt he would take the day off and come look at it for me.
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #2

there is a good PDI checklist on this site and I am not sure on the hoses that leak. maybe someone else can help with that.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas

Welcome to the site.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 AM   #3

Thanks

Also what else do I need that won't come with the trailer. Like septic hose, Etc.???
Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #4

Most delaers will give you a basic startup kit that will get you through the first trip.

Septic Hose
Water Regulator
Water Hose
1 roll of Tissue
and a couple of packs of black tank chemical

These Items will be of lower quality and you will want to upgrade soon but they will give you the idea of the basics.

In addition I would reccomend a 30 amp to 15/20 amp adapter for the electrical. If it is a 30 amp cord

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #5

to FRF!!

When doing the PDI on my trailer, I had them hook shore water up to the rig using the water pressure reducer. Just inside the trailer one of the hose clamps was not tight enough and had a slight drip. It's stuff like that you need to look for. Take a good bright flashlight and a digital camera along with the PDI check sheet and expect to spend a few hours going over it with a fine tooth comb. Don't let them push you out the door before you are comfortable with your purchase.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #6

Well Said

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
to FRF!!

When doing the PDI on my trailer, I had them hook shore water up to the rig using the water pressure reducer. Just inside the trailer one of the hose clamps was not tight enough and had a slight drip. It's stuff like that you need to look for. Take a good bright flashlight and a digital camera along with the PDI check sheet and expect to spend a few hours going over it with a fine tooth comb. Don't let them push you out the door before you are comfortable with your purchase.

greg
Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #7

wvsteve,
welcome to FRF. I too own a 2008 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26 BH. Just purchaced
it in April. Sure we will be able to exchange many thoughts. As for the
starter kit. They are right! My sewer hose was in it's second use this trip
and it popped leaks in it all over at the dump site this am.

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #8

Hey! It's next week already! How'd it go??
Old 07-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #9

Picked it up and it went well

I took about 2 hours (actually a little over) to do the walk thru and learn how to use it. The guy from the shop who went thru it with me was outstanding (and we went thru it from about 11:30 right thru his lunch and he never rushed me once). Power and water both got hooked up. it went well no leaks or anything. Only thing is I don't know that i like were the hotwater heater is right under the bed. When he lit it there must have been cobwebs or somekind of insulation that caught on fire also for just a couple of seconds.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #10

also

I didn't get any water regulator but I did get the electrical cord converter. Do I need to buy a water regulator?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsteve View Post
I didn't get any water regulator but I did get the electrical cord converter. Do I need to buy a water regulator?
Yes. Some parks have very high water pressure. Your RV can only handle around 40-60 PSI depending on the plumbing of your rig. Wally world has a cheap one that I use as a spare but I got a better one from campingworld, these will regulate the pressure down to around 40 or 45 PSI (can't remember). Some really nice regulators even have a gauge and can be dialed in to the exact pressure you want. I'll have to find a link to that one.

greg
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #12

wvsteve,
Glad to hear you recieved your prized possesion.
Tell me does yours look similar to this?

Nina
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Travel Trailer 2.bmp (12.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: bmp TT Back End.bmp (14.1 KB, 101 views)
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #13

Yes Identical. Y??
Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
My cousin in Michigan just bought a trailer and wanted some advice. This is a copy of parts of the email I sent him. The suggestions are based on my own viewpoints and my understanding of his needs. None of this was meant for public consumption, but it might help you out some.

By all means get a water pressure regulator and use it. Cheap insurance for those campgrounds with outrageous water pressure.

Please note that it is said that a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money. Haven't quite yet figured out how to state it so succinctly, but trailers can fit in the same general category.

Here goes::::::::::

I use, or have used, all of these specific products. The only ones not currently in use are the stabilizers. (The new trailer already had factory installed ones.) They are all of excellent quality. You can spend more, or you can spend less, but you won’t get better value for your money, IMHO.

Electric Tongue Jack - This one is special in that it has an extendable foot to allow you to jack the tongue up an extra six inches. (If you don’t thing that is of value, try camping with the nose pointed down the side of a hill.) It also has sufficient power to lift the rear of the truck with the trailer attached. This is a must for ease of installation of the spring bars when you hitch up.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...t/skunum=28577

Tire Changing - Have one but have never had to use it. Beats the hell of all of the alternatives that I am aware of. Light and easy to transport.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...10867&src=SRQB

Wheel Stabilizers These are a must for keeping the whole rig from bouncing. Very easy and fast to use. Love ‘em! The also eliminate the need for tire chocks.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...k/skunum=11109

Stabilizers - If not already installed from the factory. Yes, you need these too, in addition to the above. NOTE Stabilizers are just that. They are not for leveling the trailer from side to side. For that you use blocks of some sort under the wheels. Plastic ones that they sell at camping world work well, but you need more of them than you think. You can make your own “ramp” out of pressure treated 2x8s, but then you have a lot of size and weight to deal with. Don’t forget to include a small level unless you are comfortable just eyeballing the whole thing.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...s/skunum=34586

Patio Rug - Do not buy any other. This is the best I have ever had. Stays clean and super easy to fold and store.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...t/skunum=12842

Winterizing bypass kit - If not already installed. There are many ways to winterize a trailer with antifreeze. This is the best. Costs little and easy to install.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...it/skunum=6279

Hitch Lock - Small price and much security. Be sure to get the right size. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...k/skunum=19172

Fridge Fan - Vastly improves refer performance.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...an/skunum=6675

About RV refrigerators. The get cold much faster on gas, but it is still quite slow. Most people load the refer the night before leaving (with pre-chilled food) and turn it on. Leave the gas and the refrigerator on when traveling, but turn off when around gasoline fumes. Diesel should be ok. Turn to electric when hooked up. These things are not frost free. Any water inside will cause the coils to ice. Making ice is the worse culprit, but high humidity also takes a toll. We now use a portable ice maker.

Water Hose - I like this brand. They all impart some negative odor to the water until broken in. Use new ones to water the lawn a few times. Unless you want to get the flat wind-up type (which I have never used) get two 25’ ones. Also get a quality two way water splitter and a good spray nozzle. You can then use one hose to wash down yourself or the bike, and the other for your water supply. Screw them together if needed.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...es/prodID=4343

Outside “patio” lights.

NOT! Pain to put up, pain to take down, pain to store, and tend to look idiotic. Get a clip-on incandescent work light, the type with the aluminum bowl cover that has been around forever. Get a 60 watt yellow bug light. Clip same to awning arms. That and your regular patio light…. Nuff said.

Extension cords.

You will seldom, hopefully never, need an extension for you main power supply. However…..

Carrying a 50’ 14 gauge regular orange cord is a must for me. Most campground power boxes are really 50 amp, and have both 30 and 15-20 amp plugs in them. I love to use the electric grill, deep fryer, etc, etc out under the awning, on my stacked up tote boxes and without overloading the 30 amp trailer circuit. I always operate on the theory of using their electricity instead of my gas. Besides, it’s fun! Also get one or two 3-way plugs.

Vent cover.

You need to buy at least one if you like the thought of ventilation in a rainstorm. Put it over the Fantastic Fan. Get the one that is specifically made for covering existing fans.

Tool kit

Obvious, but…

Check the fasteners used on the trailer and make sure you have screwdriver tips that fit. RV sometimes use uncommon fasteners.

A 3’ breaker bar and a socket that will fit the trailer lugs nuts.

A 1 & 1/16 socket (I think) for the anode rod on the water heater.)

An 18+ volt drill and a socket that will fit the screw ends on the frame stabilizers.

Spare bulbs.

Spare fuses.

Duct tape. ;-)

Cube heater

Works fine once the trailer is warmed up on gas. Two, one on high and one on low, work even better. Use their electricity, you are paying for it.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee