Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Newbie campers

My husband and I are newbies in the camping world. We purchased a 2015 26DBH last weekend and looking to take it out this weekend possibly. Any tips or advice? It is going to be a little on the chilly side this weekend also, so any advice on running furnace, etc?

htaylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Looks great (I searched for the model number and found pictures). Very nice floorplan.

How chilly is it going to get? Will you have electrical hookups at your campground?

If you have electrical hookups, run a space heater and save your propane. Or set the furnace to 55, and let it kick in only when the space heater can't keep up. If you run the furnace as your primary heat source, arrive with full tanks, and plenty of battery capacity. (I don't know how many amps your furnace's blower draws, so I can't suggest how long you can run it before running down the battery.)

If you camp somewhere that is likely to drop below freezing at night, you might want to avoid using the freshwater system; just keep it winterized. This may seem like a big pain in the neck, but a bigger pain is fixing plumbing, tanks, etc., that froze overnight and cracked.

davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
We love in Florida so chilly to me is 45, but it is not suppose to be below freezing this weekend so we should be good. What brand of space heater do you suggest...don't want to spend a lot of money. We will be staying at a campground with full hookups
htaylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Watch out when buying a space heater. They are all basically the same and spending more than $40. is a waste of money. Here are some tips brought to you by Middleton Municipal Electric Department. They pretty much sum it up.

Space heaters, ... they all work the same way. They plug into an outlet and shoot hot air in one direction. Some special high end units make all kinds of claims about how well they work and those heaters can cost hundreds of dollars yet give off as much heat as ceramic heaters which can be purchased at hardware stores ... usually for a lot less. The real deal is that many companies are charging hundreds of dollars for something that can be purchased for much less.

There is no magic to Electric Space Heaters. If they plug into electrical circuit, they all have several things in common:

• They are all 100 - percent efficient at turning electricity into heat
• They all convert one watt of electricity into 3.413 British thermal units of heat.
• Higher wattage heaters produce more heat
• Plug-in space heaters are limited to 1,500 watts, or 5,120 BTUs

Regardless of the claims a manufacturer makes about their plug-in electric space heater, they are all limited to the facts above.

It does not matter whether the heater uses electric resistance coils or quartz lights shining on a "cured copper element" or "ceramic quartz tubes" to produce the heat. The wattage consumed by an electric space heater determines how much heat it can produce.

A 1,500 watt heater will produce the same amount of heat regardless of its cost or other features. A $40 heater will be as efficient and effective as a $400 heater. Some ideas seem to stretch the amount of heat an electric heater can produce -- like including a high mass ceramic disk or tubes filled with water or oil in the heater.

Some of the electricity consumed by the heater is used to heat this higher mass so that after the heating element shuts off, heat from the now heated mass continues to radiate from the heater. This does not make the heater more efficient, since electricity was used initially to heat the mass, but it does make the heat feel like it lasts longer.

• Higher wattage heaters produce more heat
•Plug-in space heaters are limited to 1,500 watts, or 5,120 BTUs

Regardless of the claims a manufacturer makes about their plug-in electric space heater, they are all limited to the facts above.

So shop wisely and don't get sucked in with false claims.

It was recommended n this forum to get the first heater on this list. The Lasco oscillating, cost 32.99.

electric space heater -

Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Congratulations on your purchase. We bought a 2014 26DBH last season and love it. It is a great layout for our family. We had just a few very minor issues that the dealer took care of under the warranty with minimal down time. We ran the heat quite a few nights during our fall camp outs without going through much propane. Recommend only having one tank at a time on instead of the auto switch over so you can keep track of when the tanks need to be changed out.
erfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
I am also in FL & had never considered the propane would get eaten up .... we have camped approx. 20 -30 days over the past 18 months that we would have had the heat on. I cook on the gas stove frequently & the water heater is always on (so easily 70-90 days). We just ran out of our propane (2x20 pound tanks) ...of course it was a cold night but DH found a place as it was closing to fill those tanks.
I love that our heater clicks on at set temp & is that the same for the electric heaters & how risky are they to use with a dog in the trailer?
Camping since May 2013 .... FL & GA only so far .... loving it!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Site Team
Be aware that you are not at home you have a limit of 30A in the wolf. You will not be able to run two 1500 watt heaters with normal load ( convertor, WH, TV). You may be able to add a second heater by connecting directly to the pedestal but check to insure that the pedestal is not protected by a 30 A breaker.

Nice unit.
Good Luck

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
I always tell people to do the "camp driveway" thing with a new trailer and especially when you first start out. It's a whole lot easier to run back in the house and get something you forgot. It gives you a chance to actually use everything and make sure nothings broken before you get out away from home.

2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote

camper, newbie