Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Newbie doing his first winterization - Tell me what you think!

This is our first year with out 26DBH. I decided to winterize it myself and save the money. I figure it can't be all that hard. I read though a lot of posts on here regarding the subject. The winterization sub-forum does not look like it has any new posts since 2013, this is why this is here.

Here's what I did. Let me know if I missed anything.

1. Removed all food and anything that can freeze.
2. Dried out refrigerator and propped open until bone dry & cleaned stove.
3. Charged up house batteries by plugging trailer in for a few days.
I will switch battery disconnect to "off" - Should I also unhook the wires from the batteries also?
4. Made sure propane was off.
5. Removed all sheets and clothing.
6. Checked to be sure tires were inflated properly.
7. Completely flushed and rinsed holding tanks as best I could.
8. Drained fresh water tank, low point drain and pulled anode for the water heater. Should I replace the anode after a few days of drying to keep debris out?
9. Flipped breaker off for the water heater
10. Placed water heater in bypass mode.
11. Put 6 gallons of RV antifreeze in fresh water tank and ran all lines (outside shower also) until pink was coming out. I read some people don't like to put this in the fresh water tank?
12. This also ran antifreeze down into the p-traps.
13. Opened city water connection and removed screen and depressed little button on one-way valve.
Should I close the low point drains after a few days so no insects get inside? Same with the fresh water drain.

14. Re-lubed seals on slide.
15. Placed a few glue mouse traps inside.
16. Will move over to where I am keeping it for the winter and will hove it level and the tires off the ground on 2x12's, then I will cover it with an ADCO cover.

Should I leave the roof vent open and the closet doors also? The roof vent has a fantastic fan cover over it and it will be covered by the ADCO cover also. I don't want any moisture issues.

So how did I do? Any other thoughts? Did I miss anything major?
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I would have done # 11 differently.
Adding antifreeze to the fresh water tank is discouraged.
It is hard to flush out as residual antifreeze will remain in the tank even after opening the fresh water tank drain. It sometimes takes many, many fill/flush/drains come spring to eradicate the antifreeze left in the tank.

Many rigs have a winterizing, antifreeze port that allows pulling antifreeze into the plumbing system. If yours doesn't have one, you can buy a kit to add to the plumbing that will allow the same process.

As for your questions in red...

If your battery cut-off completely cuts-off any 12v parasitic draws, then there is no need to remove any wires.

I always replace the anode. You will get many opinions on this one.
I have never seen a convincing reason to leave it out after draining/cleaning.

I always leave the low point drains closed to keep the antifreeze in and keep other stuff out.

My covered vents are open slightly all winter long.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

I am just curious as to number 5 about removing all sheets and clothing. It's been a few years since I have winterized an RV and this year will be my first time in years. I don't remember taking out the sheets and linen out of our other RV. We have never had problems before, but different MH and different Storage lot. We also plan on the dryer sheets and what ever else we can do to ward off those pesty critters.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

I just winterized my trailer yesterday and your list seems pretty good.

I use my antifreeze port as well vs fresh water tank. Don't like putting chemicals in my water and we generally don't drink from the water tank.

I take my battery out and run it on a trickle charge over the winter.

I'll keep my roof vent open slightly just to let some air in. We also put can cans of the stuff that pulls the moisture out of the air. Sorry I forget the name.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I would have done # 11 differently.
Adding antifreeze to the fresh water tank is discouraged.
It is hard to flush out as residual antifreeze will remain in the tank even after opening the fresh water tank drain. It sometimes takes many, many fill/flush/drains come spring to eradicate the antifreeze left in the tank.
I need to get one of those installed. I flushed it out pretty well in spring this year before I opened the bypass.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Old 10-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
I am just curious as to number 5 about removing all sheets and clothing.
Just in case there is any mildew or dampness, no other reason.

I heard about using dryer sheets too. Thanks for reminding me!
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Old 10-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
We also put can cans of the stuff that pulls the moisture out of the air. Sorry I forget the name.
Yes, I saw that too - "DampRid" or something. to that effect. They have tubs and packets.

Just wondering if I keep the roof vent ajar, would that bring i humidity that would defeat the purpose of the dehumidifier?
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

I keep Damp rid in my rv all year round. It keep moisture out very well. I have to empty containers weekly. Never used antifreeze in water lines. I blow air through entire system wit all faucets open and low point open.

2016 274 duh
2008 GMC 2500hd Duramax
Xrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

I bring battery into garage and hook up battery tender. Not sure if it is completely necessary but it's out of the cold and fully charged at all times.

You did flush the toilet with antifreeze in the lines, right? Storage compartments locked? Fresh water hose empty? Check sealant on roof joints?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I bring battery into garage and hook up battery tender. Not sure if it is completely necessary but it's out of the cold and fully charged at all times.

You did flush the toilet with antifreeze in the lines, right? Storage compartments locked? Fresh water hose empty? Check sealant on roof joints?
X2 plus #11. Buy and install a winterizing kit for the intake side of your pump. It will only take 2.5 gals and you keep it out of the FW tank.
I too use the gallon bucket of damp-rid all year long.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

Back in the 1950's many hardware stores sold CaCl in 50# bags for people to put in a screenwire funnel draining to a large pan. You put these in the basement here in the humid midwest to reduce humidity and mold. You can still buy it cheaper if it is not called DampRid, one search result Shop 50-lb Bag of Calcium Chloride Pellets at Lowes.com
cheers
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Yes, toilet flushed antifreeze ran through the supply line and some dumped down into the back tank also.

I inspected the roof when I up there installing the fan cover not too long ago.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Old 10-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrrider View Post
Never used antifreeze in water lines. I blow air through entire system wit all faucets open and low point open.
That's what I do also. I just pour a little RV antifreeze in each P-trap, a cup or two in the black tank, and a tiny bit on the toilet flapper seal. I am still using the same gallon of antifreeze I bought two years ago. I also take out the anode, let the WH dry out, and then replace the anode.

I have insect screens on my refrigerator and furnace vents and have never had a wasp or spider problem. And, since we live in a semi-arid climate, I have never needed CaCl in my RV or house. We also don't leave any vents open due to the wind-blown dust that can get through our vent covers.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #14

Question about Black Water Flush

This is our first year to winterize too. We have a 2017 Cherokee Grey Wolf Toyhauler. It has a Black Water Flush hookup on the outside. Is there a way to winterize this spray system? Is it a concern? It works by attaching a water hose during draining and it sprays the black water tank.
Lindahol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #15

I agree with taking the battery(s) out & trickle charging them. Cold, below freezing and/or zero, effects battery life if not kept fully charged (12.6+ V). I take all unused batteries, lawnmower etc, to the basement and do at least a monthly check and trickle charge. I also do not put them directly on a cement floor.
GravyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahol View Post
This is our first year to winterize too. We have a 2017 Cherokee Grey Wolf Toyhauler. It has a Black Water Flush hookup on the outside. Is there a way to winterize this spray system? Is it a concern? It works by attaching a water hose during draining and it sprays the black water tank.

I use a camco hand pump for the black tank flush

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahol View Post
I hooked up a blow out adapter and put some air through it. Doubt much water would remain in it.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Old 10-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyS View Post
I agree with taking the battery(s) out & trickle charging them. Cold, below freezing and/or zero, effects battery life if not kept fully charged (12.6+ V). I take all unused batteries, lawnmower etc, to the basement and do at least a monthly check and trickle charge. I also do not put them directly on a cement floor.
I do the same but I just unhook them in the machine they are in. My shed I built has outlets down the middle on every other truss so I can pretty much reach anything in the shed. I check them before winter and leave them on the trickle charger all winter. Shed is only heated when I am out there tinkering.

Cement floors would drain the charge out in older batteries. I heard that is not the case anymore but I still put it on something out of habit.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Old 10-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyS View Post
X2 to not putting the battery directly on the concrete floor. A mechanic was very adamant that it will kill the battery over the winter.
Navymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #20

I just finished the winterizing and i learned a little tip that was based on a mistake but was a happy little accident. I lined up all the valves but forgot to close the freshwater tank line.when i started to put air in the lines i didnt have any air pressure in the taps. I realized my mistake and closed the tank valve. When i pulled the plug to confirm tank was empty the pressure pushed out residual water quickly. The only caveat i will add is that i made sure my pressure was at the proper pressure.
Navymike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter