Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #1

Smile Newbie Questions

Okay this is my first camper.. ahem Travel Trailer.

Does the stereo and the TV only come on when the generator is going?
Of course I guess it doesn't matter as no channels actually came in on the TV.

The stinky slinky that came with this thing is akin to a dryer hose. Very thin plastic and wire. One end twists on to the blackwater/greywater outlet the other end ..... well its just the end.... no elbow or anything just the hose... do i have to hold it while DW pulls the valve open? seems like it should have a 90 or something to hold it in place?

The water pump.... each time someone flushes or uses the sink the water pump kicks on... okay...but for goodness sake it sounds like a low flying aircraft! is this right? I guess I need to look but seems like a couple of rubber bushings or something could quiet it down! Just an annoyance not a big deal.

I mentioned in another message this will be parked at some rustic property, in the boondocks. Since we will not be moving it... (i don't have a tv, yet) should I remove the tires and store inside at home?

Okay thanks in advance for not poking fun at a newbie. I must say last night was my first night in the new camper and it was awesome. Much better than the tent camping experience there at that same place a few weeks ago!

steve
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #2

Does the stereo and the TV only come on when the generator is going?
Of course I guess it doesn't matter as no channels actually came in on the TV.

Depends on the setup. Mine are AC only so shore power or genset.

The stinky slinky that came with this thing is akin to a dryer hose. Very thin plastic and wire. One end twists on to the blackwater/greywater outlet the other end ..... well its just the end.... no elbow or anything just the hose... do i have to hold it while DW pulls the valve open? seems like it should have a 90 or something to hold it in place?

You can purchase a 90 at pretty much any RV store.

The water pump.... each time someone flushes or uses the sink the water pump kicks on... okay...but for goodness sake it sounds like a low flying aircraft! is this right? I guess I need to look but seems like a couple of rubber bushings or something could quiet it down! Just an annoyance not a big deal.

They are just plain loud. Can’t remember where I read it (may be here somewhere) but folks have modified the mounting by installing some rubber under the feet of the pump and semi enclosing the pump to reduce the noise.

I mentioned in another message this will be parked at some rustic property, in the boondocks. Since we will not be moving it... (i don't have a tv, yet) should I remove the tires and store inside at home?

You could.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #3

okay thanks sounds like nothin' unusual then!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
There are several things you can do to quiet the water pump.
I mounted some plastic tubing under the mounting bolts, insulated the compartment, and padded up some of the water lines in my other trailer. It really helped with vibrations and noise. They are still loud, nonetheless.

Here is a pic. You can also see the brass winterizing connection I installed to make that process easy.

Good luck, and have fun!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #5

Its a frankenstien! Just kidding. So where exactly is this thing at? Not even sure where to look. The foam idea is a good one. I bet it helped. Do you mind expaining the brass winterizing part. I did spring for my dealers winterizing kit but I have no idea what that was. I thought I might get some instructions. I guess as a first time camper owner I should have bought local but the deal was so much better and easier over the internet. I hope not a bad decision. I guess time will tell.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
The brass fitting is available at most RV supply outlets. It connects right in line to the water pump. (mine was under the dinette in my Keystone trailer)
The fitting has a valve, and connection port for a hose that you stick right into an antifreeze bottle. You install the fitting once, and it stays there. In the winter you can quickly connect the hose, put it in the antifreeze, open that valve and use the water pump to siphon it into the water system.

Not sure what your dealers kit has, but maybe this fitting is already installed. Check for a water heater bypass on your water heater as well. (couple of valves/lines) Most new RV's come with them already installed these days. (there are exceptions, however) You will use the bypass to avoid filling your water heater with antifreeze.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee