Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Question Noob - Cherokee 27BH

OK Gang here goes. I've been on the board all day scoping things out (Shush, don't tell the boss) and y'all look like a good crowd so I hope you can give me some guidance.

I'm transferring up to Pope AFB, NC from Keesler AFB, MS late Jan. Being as it will be in the middle of the school year, kids activities, and the housing market, the plan is to drag a TT up there and park it in the Ft. Bragg Fam Camp. Now I have no experience to speak of with campers unless you count those days as a wee youngster.

For 4 or 5 months it'll just be me, then when the familiy gets up there we plan on using the TT for occasional long weekend outing down to the beach, or up to the mountains. We've decided we want a bunkhouse for the kids (4&7), some sort of slide, and a "master suite" up front that can be closed off from the rest of the trailer. As I plan on using the kitchen while I'm alone, I want a decent sized one. I've been shopping around and I'm digging on the Puma brand, but can't find one right priced ($14-$16K). Salem is a brand the local dealer carries, but... So after more surfing and phone calls, I think I have found what I want - a 2009 Cherokee 27BH and the dealer is asking $15,900.

I like the floorplan, with the exception of the sink outside the bathroon (easily fized with a curtain), no nightstands, and it lacks a oven (toaster oven as a substitute?). Major pluses seem to be lots of floor space with the big slider, a full bunk below, decent sized kitchen area, and while not light weight, able to be pulled by my Nissan Titan without maxing it out (Don't have the big tow package, but the book says 7,200lbs). It seems a pretty basic setup without any options, but it also seems to have all that's required. I'm sure I'll upgrade some stuff as I go like most folks do.

Some of my specific concerns are: 1. Is it too basic? 2. Haven't heard much on the threads on the 27BH, is it a good layout? 3. Are tank heaters a good idea considering NC in late winter/early spring? 4. What do I not know that I need to?

Wife is tired of me shopping and just wants me to pick something and move on. I won't say I'm overly cautious, but want to make sure if I'm spending hard earned money on something it'll meet the needs. I'll appreciate any advice you guys can give, and you're all welcome to stop by for a frosty beverage if you're ever passing through!

wicpjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Head Rambler
to FRF. I promise not to tell your boss if you won't tell mine!

The 27BH looks like a good floor plan. I don't like the way the bath area is layed out but concessions have to be made. If you're happy with it then by all means, go for it.

If I were you I'd definitely want the enclosed underbelly and heated tanks. Living in that part of the country it'd almost be a must. I'd also go with the 15K btu A/C if I could.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
I agree concesssions have to be made. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck considering I may have to make payments on two houses if I can't get the one down here sold by June.

I've been thinking on the heated tanks. It doesn't seem like the heaters would be too tough to install myself, but then again I'm no expert at electrical work. They seem a bit pricey online, and I don't know which type to use the tank heater, elbow heater, pipe heater, or all three. Sheesh - this camping lifestyle can get pricey!
wicpjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Just a note about the lack of an oven--I believe it's a Convection oven, not a toaster oven. My friends have a Class A motorhome--they traded for the same brand--old one had a real oven, new one has a Convection--she hates it. Convections are nice, and I understand not much baking happens in an RV, but for us, a real oven was a must.

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Welcome! I have one thats similar but its a 29 bhs both sides of the bunk house slide out and i got to tell you when they are out the kids have lots of room. it has couches below that jacknife open to sleep on and bunks above... I have teens and they retire to their room and gives them some area to spread out in. its a little more money but I sure like the layout. I actually like the bathroom sink outside the toilet shower area.. that way someone can brush thier teeth while some one is using the bathroom.... now we don't tow ours we have it parked on our land but if i remember right the weight is close to the 27 you are looking at. I have camped a couple times in the winter but we usually have antifreeze in the lines till spring so I can't answer how well it would all work in the winter... Its not really a winter camper. So I guess I suppose it depends how cold.
Seasonal site camping
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
I live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a couple of hours west of Ft. Bragg. Don't worry too much about tank heaters because it seldom stays below 30 for 24 hours straight. It would take that or more to freeze your tanks. If the forecast is for really cold, just dump them, and you should be good for a couple of days. On the other hand, you may wake up and not have any water due to the hose being frozen. Some of this problem can be eliminated by burying the hose under a pile of mulch. The decomposition generates heat. If it does freeze, just take a hair dryer to it where it is exposed. Enjoy your new camper, and get a good air conditioner. Ft. Bragg temps are 100 plus in the summer, with very high humidity. Thank-you also for being a soldier.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote