Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Norcold Refrigerator Not Keeping Cold During Warmer Outdoor Temperatures

Hello when the outdoor temperature gets above 75 degrees, my NORCOLD refrigerator in my 2017 Wolf Pup does not seem to be able to keep up and the internal temperature in the refrigerator rises. I have checked both vents for any type of blockage and made sure the thermistor was not iced up. If somebody has had a similar problem can you please tell me how you corrected it. Thanks, Ken

KenS999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 AM   #2

I tried to look at Wolfpups and since you didn't give a model number and don't have one in your signature or profile, you make it hard to give specific answers.
That said, here's what experience I have had with frig's not keeping up in warmer/hotter weather.

1) People sometimes load it with warm food when they get ready to leave and don't give it a chance to cool off the food for a day or two before unplugging and driving somewhere it's warm the fridge never catches back up.

2) Poor design sometimes on the campers fridge vent prevents it from expelling hot air and pulling in cool air to help in the heat exchange on the fridge. This can be overcome usually with some "baffling" and adding a small computer fan in the venting compartments which will improve the air movement and cooling.

3) Trying to park with the fridge side of your camper in the shade or at least the non-sunny side during the afternoon will help significantly.

Give us a specific model number so we can look at the layout and vents on the camper and we may be able to be more specific for you. Search "RV Fridge fan mod" and "RV Fridge Baffling" in YouTube or google and I'm sure you will get a better picture of #2 above.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

Mine gets goofy when packed with lots of stuff. Too much.

We found you need to keep a clear area sort of in the middle of the unit for better air flow. We have one of those little circulating fans.

We always put two gallons of frozen water in the fridge/freezer the night before we leave. Makes drinking water for the trip. Helps the unit catch up. They are very slow at this.

On our 5 week trip last summer restocking the fridge would stress the system.

Pre chilling stuff is a good plan. Adding drinks should be sort of gradual. A case of pop is too much for these units in hot weather. It will catch up but, it will take days.

This is why people want residental fridges. And lots of batteries.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Mine gets goofy when packed with lots of stuff. Too much.

We found you need to keep a clear area sort of in the middle of the unit for better air flow. We have one of those little circulating fans.

We always put two gallons of frozen water in the fridge/freezer the night before we leave. Makes drinking water for the trip. Helps the unit catch up. They are very slow at this.

On our 5 week trip last summer restocking the fridge would stress the system.

Pre chilling stuff is a good plan. Adding drinks should be sort of gradual. A case of pop is too much for these units in hot weather. It will catch up but, it will take days.

This is why people want residental fridges. And lots of batteries.

Yes!

Bruce
Old 03-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #5

2017 wolf pup 16fq. Norcold 306rms. Baffling was already installed. In the process of adding 2 fans blowing out thru upper exhaust vent to draw fresh outside air over coils.
KenS999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS999 View Post
2017 wolf pup 16fq. Norcold 306rms. Baffling was already installed. In the process of adding 2 fans blowing out thru upper exhaust vent to draw fresh outside air over coils.
Yeah, putting fans in the upper exhaust vent is the first move anyone should do. Low cost mod. The next step is to get a circulation fan for the interior of the fridge to keep air flowing around the cooling fins inside the fridge

Inside circulating fan....
https://smartrvproducts.com
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

x2 on what Mad Cow said.

I had the same problem (on a different unit) last summer. My local repair shop went to work and eliminated every working issue.

Final determination was not enough air flow over the coils, even though all vents were open and there was a fan to aid the flow. He added one more, larger fan, and the problem was solved.

Air flow ... air flow ... air flow.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #8

Norcold Refrigerator Not Keeping Cold During Warmer Outdoor Temperatures

Iíve got to agree with McCormickJim as we had a similar issue and couldnít find any mechanical reason. I ended up adding fans to the top wall vent and no issues now. It just needed the heat moved out to increase efficiency.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #9

I am interested in the comments about air flow and the use of fans: Did anyone who was using the fans and the propane setting for the refrigerator while boondocking notice any difference with the amount of propane that was being used?
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Adding drinks should be sort of gradual. A case of pop is too much for these units in hot weather. It will catch up but, it will take days.
That is precisely why our cold drinks, Beer, Soda, Wine, etc are in an Ice Chest outside and in a shady area, not in our reefer.

Tags
door, refrigerator