Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Don't use the rack while traveling? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! The factory racks I've seen- and I've looked at some Grey Wolf's- are mounted to the frame, not the bumper, negating the comment made about the spare. It should have a weight limit- I'm thinking most I've seen say 300lbs. or so.
Well what is bumper mounted to?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #22

Mine does not have a weight limit sticker like I thought.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #23

Awesome. Did you install the equalization hitch?
juliancaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well what is bumper mounted to?
The frame. What's your point, though? The racks are typically directly mounted to the frame quite sturdily. As opposed to the rack being mounted to a lightweight bumper that is mounted to the frame.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #25

Quote:
The frame. What's your point, though? The racks are typically directly mounted to the frame quite sturdily. As opposed to the rack being mounted to a lightweight bumper that is mounted to the frame.

Edit: Just went back and read through the posts. Not sure what I was thinking when I stated something about it "negating the spare comment"????? It's clear to me now that you were saying you can take the spare off the rack and replace it with 50 or 60 pounds of stuff. Carry on.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
The only reason I said that is because the Factory said if you remove your spare mounted to your bumper and frame and throw it in the back of truck as long as what ever you mount there that it would not be heavier then the spare tire. That they would turn there heads if a problem occurred. Now that is a true statement made by the Rockwood Division in front of 40 people on the tour. That was my only reason.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The only reason I said that is because the Factory said if you remove your spare mounted to your bumper and frame and throw it in the back of truck as long as what ever you mount there that it would not be heavier then the spare tire. That they would turn there heads if a problem occurred. Now that is a true statement made by the Rockwood Division in front of 40 people on the tour. That was my only reason.
I'm on the same page now! I would think they'd have some problems denying warranty- according to the Magnusson-Moss??? Act- if you installed a different component weighing the same amount, too.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #28

A friend of mine recently bought a "Cardinal" and the salesman talked him into having a rack installed on the back of the unit. This rack was mounted by bolting a 2" receiver to the bumper then the rack has the 2" square piece that fits inside this. Much like a pickup truck ball mount. The salesman told him that this rack would carry 300 pounds of cargo with no problem. Well we decided to take a shake-down camping trip so I could help him learn about camping with a TT. After getting to the campgrounds which was a 90 mile trip we got him all set up. The next day as we were going over the little things he needed to know he noticed that the rack was drooping really bad. After looking at it we noticed that the bumper-you know, the 4" square tubular metal one, it was twisted in the middle where the rack was mounted. He had on the rack the spare tire, two ice chests filled with ice and two chairs. With all of this extended and bouncing down the road it had twisted the tubular bumper. The selling dealer is 100 miles from his home so he is going to call them about this. Yeah right, good luck
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote