Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

Wagon - do you think the rods help more than the latch does?

Two of the three reviews give it a thunbs down.
Honestly I do believe the rods help the most. I'm pretty sure the contents of the fridge bouncing around inside is what knocked the door open. I went with the latch just as a little extra measure......my wife claims I'm OCD soooo.

1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
Nice I like that feature. We have a tv mount under awning but the dw won't give me permission because were camping and tvs aren't needed while camping in her opinion.
Televisions with local weather and radar are invaluable for keeping track of upcoming storms. You're basically in a "tornado target" on wheels, so anything you can do to protect yourself is worth it in my book. Try that argument.....

trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
For a family with kids, it is probably well worth it.
But for two old retired farts, the extra weight and cost, plus the loss of inside space, just wasn't worth it.
Our TT has plenty of storage. We have no kids. For us, it was a no brainer. But to each their own. That's what makes the world go 'round.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post
I took a look at the Forest River Site. It didn't look like the Cherokee line had this as a option in their floor plans. I did see that the Rockwood has a option for the outside kitchen. Sure looks like a dream list option to have. Can only dream right now. Looks expensive. But someday!!!!

Didn't look at the 5er's because I don't have a pickup. But then again this option may only come on the bigger/longer heavier models. So maybe a 3/4 ton pickup should be on that dream list too.

We bought a Grey Wolf which is in the Cherokee line and I believe an outside kitchen was an option. We didn't get it and not sure how much the option was though.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #35
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon52 View Post
Honestly I do believe the rods help the most. I'm pretty sure the contents of the fridge bouncing around inside is what knocked the door open. I went with the latch just as a little extra measure......my wife claims I'm OCD soooo.
Thats what I'm thinking. I think I will install a couple rods.

Another thing - I am wondering if the rods will keep the door closed when/if bottles/cans that are placed in the door slots happen to bounce around also?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #36

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that the fridges that are part of the "outside kitchen" option are more like the residential rec room type of fridge (i.e. Danby) which operate when connected to shore power only, and therefor do not have the positive latching system that RV fridges have to prevent the door from opening during travel. Probably a cost saving reason why regular RV propane/110Vac fridges aren't installed.

...VTX-Al
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that the fridges that are part of the "outside kitchen" option are more like the residential rec room type of fridge (i.e. Danby) which operate when connected to shore power only, and therefor do not have the positive latching system that RV fridges have to prevent the door from opening during travel. Probably a cost saving reason why regular RV propane/110Vac fridges aren't installed.

...VTX-Al
True! Household dorm fridge-ish
Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #38
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post

...VTX-Al

You are correct - the Danby unit in our unit only operates on shore power.

I don't see that as a reason for it not having a better door latching system. I really do not like the Danby unit in our unit because of them relocating the thermostat to the outside rear wall of the unit without thinking about accessability to it. I think that FR shares some of the blame here also.

Read my 04-06-12 rant in the Cedar Creek General Trailer and FW thread to see what I am talking about.

I don't think that I am the only one who couldn't reach the thermostat.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

You are correct - the Danby unit in our unit only operates on shore power.

I don't see that as a reason for it not having a better door latching system. I really do not like the Danby unit in our unit because of them relocating the thermostat to the outside rear wall of the unit without thinking about accessability to it. I think that FR shares some of the blame here also.

Read my 04-06-12 rant in the Cedar Creek General Trailer and FW thread to see what I am talking about.

I don't think that I am the only one who couldn't reach the thermostat.
My dial remained inside unit.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My dial remained inside unit.
Well you are lucky - I have a 2012 29rk and my Danby freige S/N is 0111050101464.

I was told that the switch over came shortly before our unit was built. Just call me Lucky.