Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Peeling decals

I was looking at the front of our not a yr old yet grey wolf and noticed that the decal letters are starting to come up at the corners. I'm not sure if it would be covered under warranty to get them stuck back on, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever peeled them off themselves. My thought is if they are coming off now, then 2 yrs down the road are they going to start peeling again. If I can get them off now, before the area is sun bleached with the decal imprint, that may be better.
stitchinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #2

Usually the decals are not supposed to come off in a so short period. Maybe the surface was not too clean when they were applied? On the long run decals are taking a beating with the sun. I keep mine waxed with new finish wax all the time to prevent them from changing colours and so far it has worked. I am at my 13th trailer! This wax does not harm the decals and keep them brand new for a long time.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

When we were shopping for our camper, I saw a brand new one with one of the letters on the front cap gone, not just peeling, but GONE! The factory probably doesn't clean the surface properly, and there may be something on the fibreglass that interferes with the decal bonding.
We had a few corners lifting, and I siliconed them down. They seem to be holding fine now. I also wax the decals when I do the fibreglass.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

All too common story with the decals that RV manufacturers are using today. To put it bluntly they are all cheap garbage. Take them off, polish out the area to minimize the shadows left behind and go camping. Either that or spend hundreds of dollars on new ones, or thousands on someone to paint them on.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #5

"All too common story with the decals that RV manufacturers are using today. To put it bluntly they are all cheap garbage."
==================================
Actually, that is a false statement and I think FR would be offended by your accusations. To suggest that people should remove all of their decals is a ridiculous and irresponsible thing to say.
With proper care, the decals will last for a very long time.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

Hmmmm. I'm ok with taking the decal off (because I dont want to deal with this again). Super slow is the way to go I guess.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

If all the decals are removed from your trailer I think it will be very hard to sell your trailer. It will look like a white elephant!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #8

I think I would complain to the dealer. Why not have them replaced if they are causing problems. Or at least, get you a new set, and you can put them on when the others are really bad.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #9

"I think I would complain to the dealer. Why not have them replaced if they are causing problems. Or at least, get you a new set, and you can put them on when the others are really bad."
============================
X2
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #10

Sometimes it's not always the installer's fault when a vinyl is peeling. A good portion of the time it's the material that the RV company's use. Now I'm not saying that this is the case here or that FR does this, but simply that it is a possibility. I have been doing vehicle graphics and 3m rock guard for 15 years and seen my fair share of peeling decals from RV's. I also know that the factory graphics on these RV's are GROSSLY overpriced! Is there glue left behind on the surface where the decal is lifting? This would most certainly tell you that it's the material and not installation.

On a side note, once the decal has started to peel there is no re-applying it. The glue has now become contaminated and even if it does actually stick back down it will lift again guaranteed. As for removing the graphics, get yourself a heatgun if possible or a good hair dryer and warm the surface and start peeling slowly. This is the best way to get the graphics off. If there is any glue left try and get some adhesive remover from a local sign shop or get yourself some GooGone. That should help you if that's the road you want to go down.

Just my 2 cents.
Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #11

Ours wasn't leaving any glue behind, so that is what makes me think the surface wasn't cleaned properly. And it was just the very fine points on a couple of decals, so it could have been from the dealer using a pressure washer on it to clean it up after the trip from the factory.
I talked directly with FR about their decals, and they assured me that they were high quality, and not "cheap garbage" as the other guy claimed.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

To note...the only chance to have any peeling decals replaced under warranty has to be in the first year. I was informed that the decals aren't covered under FR's optional 2nd year warranty.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

Thanks for the input. I don't intend to take all decals off. The swoosh's look good, it's the grey wolf in the front where the corners are coming up. I think I'll give the dealer a call and hear what they have to say. I have a feeling that instead of them replacing them, they would seal the edges some how. I'm always a skeptic.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #14

Removing decals and replacing them

I will be replacing our Sunseeker LE Logo decals. My question is how to remove the old decals? I want to be careful as not to cause any damage. Also I will be having a detail cleaning and polishing done. So do I remove the decals, have the detail done and then place the new ones , remove and replace decals then do the detail or have the detail done and then remove and replace. If the polish is done and then decals put on will the decals stick properly? Has anyone had any experience with this or maybe some good advice?
andyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Product called sticker off.
Google it. Stuff works like its name!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #16

My 2010 Surveyor 294 front decal "Surveyor" and some of the surrounding striping was curling and peeling. I gently removed the decals to avoid harming the fiberglass finish.
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote