Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Tint your windows with ceramic tint and use reflux in the skylights. We plan to do this over the winter. Plus we used a towel fan in the doorway by the master bed door and slide and that helped alot. The problem we very been having it the AC shuts off even on low setting then turns back on after about 1 minute and sometimes never turns on unless we shut the thermostat off wait a 1 minute then turn it back on.
I think we have observed that the AC has turned back on after it goes up/down between hi/low. I walked in on my RV this week when I was test running and it was off...but the stat was on.

The last days we camped we found the on/off at night to be annoying and just set it for low through the evening so no chance of shutting off.
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
I think we have observed that the AC has turned back on after it goes up/down between hi/low. I walked in on my RV this week when I was test running and it was off...but the stat was on.

The last days we camped we found the on/off at night to be annoying and just set it for low through the evening so no chance of shutting off.
You can also set the thermostat fan setting from "Auto" to "On" which will run the fan continuously and just cycle the compressor on and off as necessary.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
This sounds pretty amazing. My initial thought was to upgrade to the 15K unit when we go in for fixes...but then I started thinking the extra 1500BTUs may not make a difference if our trailer cannot keep a 7-8F difference as is. You give me hope that our current one may be poor quality plus and upgrade to push hard.
Our previous Starcraft Travel Trailer was a 27 foot model and had a 13.5k BTU AC unit. We owned it for 10 years and never had any performance problems with it. It always kept the internal temperatures at the set temperature on the thermostat. It was a Dometic AC unit and it performed great. I looked at the specs. on your new travel trailer and it's similar in size to our Starcraft. I think that your 13.5k BTU unit should be more than adequate so the upgrade to a 15k BTU unit would probably be a waste of money.

I do keep all of the shades shut when the RV is in direct sunlight.

Is the airflow good through all of the discharge vents? One of the ducts may have disconnected and is leaking into the attic area. You could try using the direct discharge setting on the AC unit and then set up a fan to blow the cooled air to the bedroom area and see if that makes any difference, although the ducted system should do the job quite well if everything is working okay.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote