Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Possible frame issue

I have nooticed some problems on my 295u 5er and was just concerned they might be from the lippert frame issues i keep hearing about. I have some repairs i must keep doing after every coulple of trips; 1. the flat molding on the living area wall (otherside of it is batroom) next to the slide keeps popping off and has to be resecured, 2. the floor in the bunkhouse has two or three spots i have to keep nailing the plywood floor back down.
Also on this last trip on the outside of the 5er i noticed after the rain i had water dripping from the lower front near the landing gear, upon investigation it appears as if it is channeling from the wrap around molding( the flat molding that is on the bootom of the fifth wheel portion which runs from the front cap to in front of the landing gear). Looking at the origianl calk line and factory sticker line the warp around molding has lowered from its origianl factory loaction on both sides of the 5er.

So I was wondering if I might have a cracked or weak frame and/or if I need to woory about the water channeling on the inside of the warp around molding?

2010 Cherokee 295U 36 foot 5th Wheel.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I don't fully understand the problems listed as #1 and 2. Is there pictures that you could post that help describe them?

The last issue. Are you talking about rainwater running down along the trim piece between the front cap and sidewall, along the horizontal trim on the overhang then down the corner trim of the front basement wall. If so, thats probably on mine. I believe that those trim pieces are installed with butyl tape behind them and the edges chaulked. Just make sure that the chaulking looks good and touch-up as needed.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
sorry it took so long but here are the pictures, the one is of the piece of trim molding at the wall next to the slider that keeps popping of, one of the floor of the bunkhouse that i have to keep renailing down, and 2 of them are the area wear i am having the water issue (you can notice in the one photo how much lower that plastic corner is now then when it was new by looking at the decal line whihc used to be under that corner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0600.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	17637   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0599.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	17638   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0597.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	17639   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0602.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	17640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0603.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	17641  

2010 Cherokee 295U 36 foot 5th Wheel.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
I suggest you simply do a google search on Lippert Rv Frames
you may be schocked when you see what comes up.
amdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
If you can, get a mirror and check all of the welds where your fifth wheel pin box attaches to the main frame. There shouldn't be any issues, but that would eliminate the worst possibility.

The flooring issue may be that they just didn't do it properly to begin with, and now all of the bouncing and flexing are causing a recurring problem. Same for the trim piece that keeps falling off.

I cannot imagine what it must be like inside the camper when going over some of these goat paths they call 'roads' these days. I'd be scared to actually ride inside my camper, I might never pull it again!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote