Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #21

Thanks!

I did fill up with potable water before leaving, I took 30 gallons and probably used 5, but that's OK. Having water for a shower was soooo worth it.
So now that the water heater works, I'm on to my next project, the awning power wire to extend the awning doesn't have power. I can retract but not extend.
RCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #22

Never travel with water either. Not a weight or MPG issue.

My boondocking spots do generally have a community water fixture near by.

I have also just stopped and asked on occasion, normally at an area country store. Buy something and repeat visit. Had an occasion that I told them the place I was going had just informed me that water was off.

I've been surprised at the cooperation in Ga.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #23

We dry camp 80% of the time, what I do is fill my FW tank at home and I take a 30 gallon food safe container I got from a local milk processing plant and put it in the bed of the truck full of water, I have a small 1/10th HP transfer pump I got from Harbor Freight and made a PVC attachment that goes from the pump to the bottom of the barrel and pump it back into my fresh water tank when it gets empty, this setup lasts me about 6 days dry camping with two adults and two kids.
S Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSP View Post
I will be rough camping (no electric or water) near Sturgeon Bay, WI, which is 45 minutes from Green Bay, WI (nearest large city). I like to have my fresh tank empty when I travel just to reduce weight. What's the normal way to fill my fresh water tank once at or near my destination? Do Kwik Trip gas stations sell potable water via a hose? Really do not want to buy 30 one gallon containers of water from a Walmart.

Thanks!
Go to Potawatomi State park (very close to Sturgeon Bay) - they have a dump station with potable water you can fill up with. If you don't have a state park sticker, buy a day pass. Or try Quiet Woods RV in Sturgeon Bay and see if they can fill you up.
slook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy969 View Post
Their situation may be like mine, where my weight is already close enough to my max tow capacity with all the tanks empty, that traveling dry is pretty much a necessity.
Get a bigger truck and stop endangering your passengers
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #26
Coachmen Encounter

Some of local general stores have hose and spigot just waiting for campers and people in need after buying their supplies.
jajefmly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #27

Water system

I just added a UV water purification system so now i fill the water tank anywhere and know drinking water is safe to drink even out of a river or stream. It from ACUVA in canada not too hard to install and give you a separate source for drinking water
Zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #28

Traveling with full water tank

A waterthief has helped me greatly. it fits over the thread less type hose bibs found in campgrounds. Also i carry a water key that turns on commercial hose bibs that have no handle.
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSP View Post
I did fill up with potable water before leaving, I took 30 gallons and probably used 5, but that's OK. Having water for a shower was soooo worth it.
So now that the water heater works, I'm on to my next project, the awning power wire to extend the awning doesn't have power. I can retract but not extend.
Check your ground, we had the same problem with our awning after our first couple of trips out. Turned out to be nothing more than a weak ground.
54554wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #30

See if you can fill it up at Potowotomi State Park.
I like the All Stays phone app. It helps when traveling and you can filter to numerous different items
briannbutler78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #31

Potable water or even high dollar bottled water is only that until it leaves that source. After that all bets are off. To me potable water just means it was good to drink. After sitting in the tank, exposed to air, running in the lines... if you have good filters and maintain your tanks it's safe.
Don't maintain and flush out the FW tank and let it sit idle invites funk to grow.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:14 AM   #32

Probably will jinx the next trip, but I have never had anyone flying a Good Sam flag/pennant refuse water if I buy gas (not a rare occurrence) ask after filling up and pull the rig away from the pumps.
cnmdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #33

Potable water-where to refill

We rarely drink from the water in the onboard tank. We generally always buy the five gallon containers of drinking water for cooking and drinking. We use the RV water for the sink, shower and toilet. For extended stays we have purchased a 40 gallon plastic water tank from the local agri supply or Tractor supply. We carry it empty and fill when we get to our location. The onboard tank can be filled at home before you leave or also when you get to your location. We connect a hose to the system and the 40 gallon tank and use it. When it is empty we don't have to move the trailer to refill just take the empty tank to the refill point and return to the trailer. it can stay in the truck just behind the cab and in our case in front of the fifth wheel hitch. Our unit is equipped with a connection for winterizing the trailer that you would ordinarily use to pull antifreeze into the system. We use that to pull the water from the 40 gallon tank. We sanitize the 40 gallon tank with chlorine after every trip and again before we head out.
colretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #34

I have had good luck at smaller gas stations. Most of them have a hose bib and have never said no. Just make sure you have enough water hose to reach. I try and fill up really close to the camp site
ChrisRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #35

Fresh water is available

Potable water is available at Potawatomi State Park which is very close to Sturgeon Bay.
I camp in Door County yearly...but I've gotten lethargic and go to private campgrounds with full hookups!
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #36

Walmart - 25 cents per gallon. Usually at back of store near produce. Bring your own container.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Walmart - 25 cents per gallon. Usually at back of store near produce. Bring your own container.

Such a deal. I think I'll stick with the $1.12 per thousand gallons my local city charges me. $0.0011 per gallon

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colretired View Post
We rarely drink from the water in the onboard tank. We generally always buy the five gallon containers of drinking water for cooking and drinking. We use the RV water for the sink, shower and toilet. For extended stays we have purchased a 40 gallon plastic water tank from the local agri supply or Tractor supply. We carry it empty and fill when we get to our location. The onboard tank can be filled at home before you leave or also when you get to your location. We connect a hose to the system and the 40 gallon tank and use it. When it is empty we don't have to move the trailer to refill just take the empty tank to the refill point and return to the trailer. it can stay in the truck just behind the cab and in our case in front of the fifth wheel hitch. Our unit is equipped with a connection for winterizing the trailer that you would ordinarily use to pull antifreeze into the system. We use that to pull the water from the 40 gallon tank. We sanitize the 40 gallon tank with chlorine after every trip and again before we head out.
X2 squared. After seeing a 5er, my model but a year older, on a post here with the FW tank dragging on the ground, I no longer travel with more than about 5 gallons in the FW tank. That gives us water for a lunch stop or potty break. Instead, like Colretired, I have a 46 gallon RV water tank across the front of my bed. It was $106 shipped. Heavy nylon-like plastic with fittings. I have about 800# payload/rear axle margin and this uses only half of that. I too connect it to the unused anti-freeze port to pressurize the RV. The water goes into and out of this tank with the same hose (and a female to female coupler when filling). I filter the water going in and again coming out. If I need more water for a long boondock far from water, I take a couple of blue 7.5 gallon jugs and put maybe 10 gallons in the RV near our destination.

I've also on one occasion, after reaching our destination, transferred 46 gallons from the truck to the RV so that I could stop somewhere when convenient and get more water in the truck. I do this with the truck tank connected and putting water into the RV FW tank via the outside shower.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #39

So glad my water tank is behind the axle. I wouldn’t want a trailer otherwise.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #40

Wisconsin has multiple state and county parks where you can fill up your water tank. When we go out with boondocking in mind, a stay at a place with facilities is welcome about the time the water runs out. And there are some really nice State Parks up there! Enjoy!

Tags
water