Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Pricing and shopping advice for 23DBH or 26DBH

Good day! We are shopping for either a Grey Wolf 23DBH or 26DBH. If it is not too much to ask, would you share your purchase price with us via the forum or private email. We are "first time buyers" and don't want to be taken advantage of. Any "words of wisdom" are also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you - God Bless.
Camper Jo
CamperJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

The internet is a wonderful thing. I used rvtrader.com to find the best price unit in my area. Found an out of state dealer in IN and one in OH that were way cheaper then my local dealer. Got email quotes from them after expressing interest on their web page.

Used those quotes to make my local dealer come down almost 6k in asking price. (not a grey wolf) just a general tool for getting the best price. (no dealer fee, no prep fee no nothing, just a list price tax and plate)
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperJo View Post
Good day! We are shopping for either a Grey Wolf 23DBH or 26DBH. If it is not too much to ask, would you share your purchase price with us via the forum or private email. We are "first time buyers" and don't want to be taken advantage of. Any "words of wisdom" are also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you - God Bless.

Camper Jo

After a very extensive search, we purchased our 2017 26DBH for $19,070. We could have taken a few hour drive and saved some money, but we like to support our local businesses.

Both the 23DBH and the 26DBH are great models, you'll enjoy either one. I'm probably pushing the limits in our half ton, but the extra pantry, storage and couch are worth it.

Happy shopping!

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #4

2016 26DBH Limited no haggle price of $18999 with no dealer prep added on. Took a total of 2 hours from walking in the door to driving off with the trailer in tow!
jsharrimangraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

We just purchased the 23DBH a couple of weeks ago. I chose it over the 26DBH only because of the weight savings. I loved them both. We have yet to go camping, but it towed flawlessly behind my Tahoe when pulled 2 hours home.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

We paid 15.5 with the limited package including dealer fees + tax for our 16 26dbh.
Pretty happy with deal and trailer. No one around Columbus could come close. Had one dealer say I should buy it for that.
Daniel at Wholesale Super Store in Sylvania Ohio near Toledo.
Happy with our buying experience.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

We just closed the deal on a 2017 26DBH loaded with all the packages (Value, XL & Limited) for $16,998 plus tax and title. No extra fees for PDI and detail. Also got a Equil-i-zer E4 for $595 installed.
russ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

We got our 2016 Grey Wolf 26DBH Limited with all options available for 18,250 in June of 2015 in SE Wisconsin. It's on the dealers website for 18,998 currently. The 23DBH is $500 cheaper.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #9

Great information

Thank you for all of your friendly and very helpful responses. I have come to realize that the margin on these things are really low and any real difference in price seems to come from the destination charges. The closer you are to Ohio and Indianna (for the eastern half of the US.) the less the cost of the trailer! All in all, your responses have been really helpful. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

One general recommendation. Insist on "out the door" prices. Some dealers charge for PDI, or prep, or add on charges for battery, propane, etc., others just include it in their prices. Using OTD price allows simple comparison between sources, and will save you from surprises at closing time...
Good luck and
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
The internet is a wonderful thing. I used rvtrader.com to find the best price unit in my area. Found an out of state dealer in IN and one in OH that were way cheaper then my local dealer. Got email quotes from them after expressing interest on their web page.

Used those quotes to make my local dealer come down almost 6k in asking price. (not a grey wolf) just a general tool for getting the best price. (no dealer fee, no prep fee no nothing, just a list price tax and plate)
What will you do when the dealer that offered you the competitive price is no longer in business because everyone is simply using their quotes to get another dealer to offer them a reasonable price? You'll pay the extra thousands. Just something to consider.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperJo View Post
Thank you for all of your friendly and very helpful responses. I have come to realize that the margin on these things are really low and any real difference in price seems to come from the destination charges. The closer you are to Ohio and Indianna (for the eastern half of the US.) the less the cost of the trailer! All in all, your responses have been really helpful. Thank you!

This isn't necessarily accurate. I think it depends a lot on the market in your area as well. My experience in North Texas has been that I can save ~15-20% buying from RVWholesalers over any local dealer( and this is the "haggled" local price, not what they are initially asking). This INCLUDES the additional delivery charge if I choose to have it delivered.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #13

Get a compass a 3 hour travel circle, get quotes from dealers in that circle, then start negations prep should be hidden in final quote - dealer fluff. What you save goes into more camping.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #14

Signed the order sheet last Saturday. Ended up at $17,800 out the door adding spare tire, 15k a/c, and mini camp kitchen for a 26DBH with all of the packages added as well.

I did price it out at $16,800 at an Iowa dealer (280 miles), best I could find new, then contacted a local dealer 20 miles from me for a no BS best you can do quote citing the quotes I found. He came in at $17,495 for the exact same options and in my opinion was close enough on price to save the 2 day trip to Iowa.

Talking with my local dealer it sounded like they were straight shooters in letting us know up front they would not service anything they did not sell, their customers would come first and with the size of their dealership (small town dealer) and the volume they do sell they were not comfortable trying to handle the work load adding outside sales. My next closest Forest River dealer is about 90 miles drive. Just something to consider, in my case I valued my time and fuel making the $700 difference worth it in the end. Opinions vary
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #15

Thank you ProCharger. I too am looking at cost benefit ratios to see if it is worth traveling the distance. Paid time off does not come cheap!
2007 Palomino M7701 TC
Old 02-26-2017, 10:41 PM   #16

We just purchased a 2017 Cherokee 274DBH It's the twin sibling of the Grey Wolf 26DBH, but has a slightly larger slide out. Our camper is a "Limited" with all the extra packages, the mini-camp kitchen, and 15" tires.

We paid $17,150 + sales tax for our camper, and that price included an Equalizer WDH and installation, and also a slide topper installed. No other fees. Like others have suggested, we shopped around and found a really competitive price from a dealer that was two hours away. We were willing to drive the distance, but preferred to stay local. I sent an email to our local dealer, requested the add-on items, and named the price to earn our service. It took a bit of follow-up haggling on the phone, but we ended up happy.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
We just purchased a 2017 Cherokee 274DBH It's the twin sibling of the Grey Wolf 26DBH, but has a slightly larger slide out. Our camper is a "Limited" with all the extra packages, the mini-camp kitchen, and 15" tires.

We paid $17,150 + sales tax for our camper, and that price included an Equalizer WDH and installation, and also a slide topper installed. No other fees. Like others have suggested, we shopped around and found a really competitive price from a dealer that was two hours away. We were willing to drive the distance, but preferred to stay local. I sent an email to our local dealer, requested the add-on items, and named the price to earn our service. It took a bit of follow-up haggling on the phone, but we ended up happy.

Good luck!
Sorry - my number above was wrong. For the record, we paid $17,350 + tax.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
What will you do when the dealer that offered you the competitive price is no longer in business because everyone is simply using their quotes to get another dealer to offer them a reasonable price? You'll pay the extra thousands. Just something to consider.
People who pay asking price will keep them in business for me. I'll keep getting the best price I can. I didnt have a gun to their head. If they didnt want to sell it they could of said no. I would of taken my check to the place 2 hours away.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote