Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #1

Problem #13 : leak under city water (floor)

23DBH...3 weeks old. Also 2 weeks out from dealer visit. The list of issues is so long the dealer service rep couldn’t keep my list of concerns straight. Told him I’d send a 3 page document of issues when I return for service.

So after our 10 day vacation the travel trailer when to our place up on Lake Erie until we can get it in for all the service needs. Wife called to say water was dripping from under the camper below where the city water hook up is. She said the bottom covering is like a rubber bladder and appears to be full of water and dripping. Also it must be migrating to the center of the bottom of the trailer because it appears it’s dripping from the insulation.

1. Grrrrrr
2. Any know issues that are going on here?
3. Is this getting my sub floor wet?
4. If so is it particle board or plywood under there?
5. Once repaired will the foam and soft insulation’s dry out with little concern?

Any suggestions for the discussion with service?

I think we’ll take it off city service and just work from the tank. Maybe the leak inside is related only to city water...maybe you people know. I’m exhausted from this trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DBBF91B-95CF-4D87-ACAF-A0CC0A83F18E.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	209845   Click image for larger version

Name:	11EA6C48-3821-4A53-A7B5-AB6F3A4874EE.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	209846  
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

Probably a leak from a pex clamp.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #3

Regulated water line?

First question, naturally, is do you have a water pressure regulator on your fresh water inlet hose? The RV plumbing system, at best, is only rated at about 40 PSI or so. Unregulated campground supply can be at or over 100 psi. But if you've been in this game before, you're already using a regulator.

So the next issue is, somewhere there's a pex connection or clamp that's not quite set right and is leaking pretty badly, from the pictures. You (or the RV tech) will have to check every connector on the end of the RV that the leak is suspected to be coming from (under the bunks in your floor plan?) and correct the problem. And yes if your RV has that kind of sub-floor, good ol' wood chips held together with Elmer's glue-all, it will indeed be ruined from the slightest puddle of leaking water. Which is why my old Ameri-Lite rotted, lots of rainwater leaks. Real plywood, which the 'factory tour' vid shows is supposed to be in your rig, may survive slightly better if the leak doesn't go on too long.

If the rig has been substantially damaged by this factory defect / lack of dealer inspection (do they really ever look at these rigs?) it qualifies, in my opinion, as a total loss and they SHOULD buy it back or exchange for another equal value RV. If they should just pass it off as 'minor problem', remind them of consumer protection laws about dangers of mold and mildew from wet / rotted wood and insulation, and product liability law.
Here's a typical RV plumbing layout, it will have to be adapted to your floorplan.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

While 40 psi is the recommended pressure, the pex lines in your camper are capable of handling at least 80psi. Most likely the leak is coming from where the fresh water connects to the outside fitting. Drill a small hole in the coraplast (bottom membrane) and drain the water. If the leak is at the city water fitting, your floor is most likely fine. May have to replace some insulation though.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #5

Thanks guys...coroplast! I was wondering what that membrane was.

Yes we do use a regulator although I forget what it's rated for and I agree that pex should be able to handle much higher then 40 psi.

I had a look in my storage compartment attached where all that drain stuff is (behind a portion) and had no water in that area...so scratching my head a bit if the issue is at the city water fitting. Seems like the issue may be lower or down stream.

I did poke the hole and hope to insist on new insulation. They are not going to like me as I have over a dozen things on my bitch list and that includes me fixing already a bunch of small things...I'm far from a hopeless consumer with no experience with poorly built RVs!

I have to go back to the lake tomorrow due to a building project we have going on and will inspect the RV again and thing about removing that partition to see what is back there.

For now I think being on tank/pump solved the issue. The steady drip was gone by the time we left on Sunday so it sure does point to city water hookup...just need to figure out why!
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One other possibility, may be that the backflow valve on the pump allowed water to backfill the fresh water tank and it leaked out high in the tank, maybe at a sensor probe. This seems unlikely as I would think that it would come out the vent first, but your vent could be clogged also, thus pressurizing your tank somewhat and forcing a leak.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #7

I have a 23dbh and the fitting on the water pump were loose and water was leaking. I never noticed it in the storage under the bunk till water was dripping on to the ground. Now this same area feels like wet insulation is there. I'll be cutting the membrane and replacing whatever I find. Also check the tub drain. Take the inspection plate off and make sure the plumbing (drain) is connected to the p trip. My tub flexes at the drain and disconnected the plumbing causing a huge mess. I had to cut the membrane and remove the wet insulation. Thank God the wood flooring didn't to wet. You can get the membrane, flex tape from Amazon. Look up rv underbelly material. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190703_183129.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	210387Click image for larger version

Name:	20190703_183353.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	210388Click image for larger version

Name:	20190703_185818.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	210389
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

Sorry pics are upside down. Here's the start to fixClick image for larger version

Name:	0718191955b.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	210390Click image for larger version

Name:	0718191954.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	210391
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, floor, leak, water