Old 01-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Radio Reception is Terrible-2017 Grey Wolf 26BH

I am unable to get any reception while out at our state parks. I try to run a search on the Furrion DV3100 and nothing. It only finds a few stations in the city when I search, but picks up most of the city stations when I manually tune. The antenna cable is ran from the radio to a splitter then to a power switch control board which im guessing is an amplifier. I checked all connections and tightened any loss connectors. The short 4" coax cable going from the splitter to the power switch control board might be an issue as when I move it I can tell that the radio sound was louder. Im going to make a new cable and try it. Also, could changing the factory installed antenna make a difference and going to a new one like King Jack?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman28 View Post
I am unable to get any reception while out at our state parks. I try to run a search on the Furrion DV3100 and nothing. It only finds a few stations in the city when I search, but picks up most of the city stations when I manually tune. The antenna cable is ran from the radio to a splitter then to a power switch control board which im guessing is an amplifier. I checked all connections and tightened any loss connectors. The short 4" coax cable going from the splitter to the power switch control board might be an issue as when I move it I can tell that the radio sound was louder. Im going to make a new cable and try it. Also, could changing the factory installed antenna make a difference and going to a new one like King Jack?
Is there a button to turn on the booster function? I have a WolfPup 16BHS and if you don't actually engage the booster to turn it on the reception is worthless. Once the booster is on it works great for TV and Radio

johnsamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #3

Yes, I have the amp power button pressed which is why I'm hoping the new coax cable I made tonight will fix it. Guess I will find out tomorrow when I install it. I'm still wondering if replacing the antenna is worth it.
navman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #4

I hope that fixes it! My trailer is in storage and is -29F here so I'm a bit jealous that you are even working on a problem! I wish I were more familiar with your trailer to offer more help.
johnsamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #5

I do believe that there are separate antennas for radio and TV... coax cable with a power booster is generally for the TV antenna and not the radio, either AM or FM...

holding the coax and getting an increase only tells me that your radio antenna is not even connected...

My trailer is not the same as yours but I believe most trailers have a straight spring mounted antenna that sticks straight up and the TV antenna could be any one of several different models, but should be either a circular or a multi-blade style antenna.

Again, the amp is usually reserved for over-the-air digital TV signals only connected to the TV through the coax connection on the back of the TV.

the splitter usually sends a signal to another TV down the line... there should be another antenna plug in the back of the radio for radio only signals...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:18 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Chances are your radio antenna is connected to your TV antenna.

Mine was that way and the connection was shorting out the signal to the living room TV as well as not getting any radio reception.

Just unplugging the radio antenna from the coax splitter miraculously fixed the TV reception...

And a marine radio antenna now mounted inside the entertainment center works great for now until I get enough stones to drill a hole or two in the slide to mount an outside radio antenna.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

Its been cold here lately too. Not like your cold though haha. Only 20 here. I get bored easily during the winter and being inside a lot, so I've just been working on it in short periods at a time just to keep me from going insane.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #8

I've been trying not to drill a hole through the top yet as well, so I'm trying to see if I can get the system to work as it is now. I have a feeling that a separate antenna is going to be needed though. THe schematics show a pink wire on one of the back connectors is labelled as Auto Antenna. Think I will see what that does today as well.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

It's been cold here lately too. Not like your cold though haha. Only 20 here.
7:38 am in the morning here in Yuma, Arizona...it is 51.6 degrees on my porch!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
7:38 am in the morning here in Yuma, Arizona...it is 51.6 degrees on my porch!
Lucky.

Well I fixed it. In another post, someone mentioned a reset. So I pressed the reset button and BAM! it scans and gets all the stations. Wish I would have found that post to begin with. I still replaced the coax cable just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for everyone working to help me resolve this issue.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #11

Radio reception

My 2016 Gray Wolf had the same problem and I tried all the solutions that have been presented so on one camping trip to the same campsite as my old trailer I connected a portable automotive antenna--It worked great so now I am installing an old fashion antenna next to the tv antenna just like my old trailer.
TTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTED View Post
My 2016 Gray Wolf had the same problem and I tried all the solutions that have been presented so on one camping trip to the same campsite as my old trailer I connected a portable automotive antenna--It worked great so now I am installing an old fashion antenna next to the tv antenna just like my old trailer.
Think Im goign to get on and bring it with me now, just in case a reset stops correcting it.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:04 PM   #13

Quote:
I have to turn off all my LED lights in order for me to get AM radio. When all of my LEDs are off my radio works fine.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:27 PM   #14

eliminate radio interference LED lights

I searched google with these terms and got dozens of helpful suggestions...

I was looking for a vendor of LED lights that might offer a better bulb... perhaps this vender?
M4 Products

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf, radio, reception