Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Seeking Advice for First Travel Trailer

Hi All, I'm new here, and I'm looking for advice...

We're getting ready to buy our first travel trailer, we're looking heavily at a 2014 grey wolf 26BH. I like the fact that it has enough dedicated beds for my entire family without the need to convert the couch or table. It has a triple bunk for our 3 kids and a queen for the wife and I. I believe it's light enough to tow with our van, but I would like some advice on that as well.

Proposed Tow Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Van B2500, Mark III conversion van.
5.2L/318 CI Engine, 4 Spd auto w/ OD tranny, 3.54 rear end gears.

The trailer is said to have an unloaded vehicle weight of 4500 lbs, with a hitch weight of about 400-415 lbs. The owners manual on the van says it can tow a trailer with tongue weight of 800 lbs. The GVCWR (total weight of the van and trailer, with all cargo and people) is 11,500. The van itself weighs 5,220 lbs with a full tank. Here is my calculation:

Subtract van 11500 - 5220 = 6280 lbs left for trailer, passengers, and cargo
Subtract TT 6280 - 4500 = 1780 lbs left for passengers and cargo
Subtract Family of 5 1780 - 600 = 1180 lbs left for Cargo.

In my opinion, I should be well within the towing specs for the van.

Now, what do the Pros think? I'm open to any suggestions. Any other Light Trailers with 3 bunks and a Queen bed? Will the Grey Wolf last a long time?

Thanks!
BigToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

I also need to get my van ready to Tow. I will need to find a bigger receiver hitch, as mine is only 1 5/8", a transmission cooler, and wire for trailer brakes.

The only receiver hitches I can find are only rated for 500lb TW, but the owners manual specifies it can handle 800 lbs. Anyone know where I can find a hitch rated for the max of 800 lbs?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

You are going to be pushing those numbers to the limit... 5 people you say weigh in at 600 lbs? A decent weight distribution hitch will weigh in close to 100 lbs as well...

As I tell many folk, payload and towing ratings are only really part of it... You are looking at a trailer of 30' at least. So ultimately you are pulling a billboard behind you! These trailers aren't light by any means but for the amount of air space they take up they are incredibly light! A light weight tall wide trailer is going to be affect greatly by opposing forces such as wind, passing vehicles ect...

I can see you struggling greatly with that van! not to say it wont do it, but it wont do it like a higher rated truck would do it...

I am a firm believer that anything over about 30' should have a diesel or at the least a 3/4 ton truck in front of it! Reason being is that seeing that you are pulling a billboard the trailer will want to control the truck too much unless it is a bigger vehicle. I have experienced it, I had a grey wolf 26DBH which is pretty comparable to what you are looking at there. I first towed it home with a 5.3L chevy 1500, was VERY disappointed in it! Traded for a new 2010 Ram 1500 with the hemi and was happy with that until the wife began talking about a larger trailer! After that we traded for the 2006 cummins I have now, will never look back! The hemi did a great job, but huffed and puffed in the hills!

The cummins commands the trailer and never the opposite (knock on wood)...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Not to rain on your parade, but that 318 is NOT going to do well towing ANY travel trailer regardless of weight just because of the wind a full size camper catches. I had an 02 Dodge 1500 with the 360 and 3.55 gears and it struggled to pull the camper I had at the time which only weighed 4400 empty. If you will camp within 30 minutes or so from home, live in a relatively flat area, and can take it slow and easy by avoiding major highways, I say go for it. Otherwise I'd be looking at pop ups or A-frames. Just my .02.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

This is a b2500 van, is that not a 3/4 ton rig?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToyBoy View Post
I also need to get my van ready to Tow. I will need to find a bigger receiver hitch, as mine is only 1 5/8", a transmission cooler, and wire for trailer brakes.

The only receiver hitches I can find are only rated for 500lb TW, but the owners manual specifies it can handle 800 lbs. Anyone know where I can find a hitch rated for the max of 800 lbs?
You are on the right track with these mods(assuming no long hauls thru the mountains are planned like previously stated). My 02 Dodge had issues with tranny temps, so the tranny cooler is definitely in order. Have you tried looking on the B & W Hitch site to see if the offer anything for your TV?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:

If your Van now has a (1-1/4) hitch from the fac.that should say something about the Cap for Towing! (1-1/4) max (2000#) and that is pushing it! They only come in (1-1/4,2, and 2-1/2) sizes. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

Very likely that it didn't come with a hitch in 96. My memory indicates that at that time many didn't come with hitches. My mom bought a 1997 F250HD XLT with the 7.3 that didn't even come with a hitch. Had it installed aftermarket.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

If one of these vans is your van.... It will pull what you are looking at.... But it will not like it. I drove a Chevy 20 Full size Conversion MARK III for years pulling a 30 footer. 6 Miles Per Gallon..... You will know that it is behind you and some times going down a good hill you will wonder if it will pass you or go into the back of the van. If you have a spare tire on the back of the van... it will fit, but make sure that you do not make a sharp turn or you will hear a crunch and the tire being pushed into the back door..... It looks like that you may have a V8, and that the Chevy 20 that I used to have had a bigger V8.....

My suggestion.... Get a 4 door truck that is larger than a half ton.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...+dodge+ram+van

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #10

Be sure to get a good brake controller. The money you spend will seem cheap if you need it and don't have it. I struggled for several years with a cheapo controller. I just upgraded to a Tekonsha P3 and it's all the difference in the world.

Above, they are correct in their assessment of the old 318 and pulling. Short trips won't be too terribly bad, but I wouldn't want to try to cover 500 miles in a day with it. You will probably be upgrading that tow vehicle before you know it.

Welcome to the RVing life and the forums... (i.e. you're hooked... get over it!)
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #11

Like everyone else has said, if youre going on short trips on flat ground you'll be ok for a while. As for the Grey Wolf 26bh. This will be the 4th season for ours with no problems. A 3/4 ton p'up would be overkill. Our F150 pulls it fine, and gets about 10 mpg. Enjoy your new camper.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If your Van now has a (1-1/4) hitch from the fac.that should say something about the Cap for Towing! (1-1/4) max (2000#) and that is pushing it! They only come in (1-1/4,2, and 2-1/2) sizes. Youroo!!
Seeing is beleiving! Heres a pic of my 1 5/8 hitch bar next to the 1 1/4 and 2". This is only the second one ive ever seen one. They were made by adh hitch. Any way, im ditching it for a 2"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1392316367713.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	46203  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but that 318 is NOT going to do well towing ANY travel trailer regardless of weight just because of the wind a full size camper catches. I had an 02 Dodge 1500 with the 360 and 3.55 gears and it struggled to pull the camper I had at the time which only weighed 4400 empty. If you will camp within 30 minutes or so from home, live in a relatively flat area, and can take it slow and easy by avoiding major highways, I say go for it. Otherwise I'd be looking at pop ups or A-frames. Just my .02.
Oh man, you're going to make me cry by telling me to look at popups We had an 02 coleman popup with an 8' box and we both hated it...

I was planning to keep the speed around 60 MPH and travel on mostly back roads. All of the destinations we travel to can be reached using state highways.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #14

How about something like these as a possible alternative. They are a couple at the top of my list for our family of 5 as well.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Travel...VType=trailers

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Travel...VType=trailers

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Hybrid...003&RVType=HYT

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forest River Forums mobile app
BC Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Boy View Post
How about something like these as a possible alternative. They are a couple at the top of my list for our family of 5 as well.

Mini Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

Micro Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

Roo Hybrid Travel Trailer by Forest River

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forest River Forums mobile app
I do like those, except for the hybrid...What also makes the 26bh attractive is that I think I can get a new one for $12,000. I haven't found anything that cheap that suites our family.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
I do like those, except for the hybrid...What also makes the 26bh attractive is that I think I can get a new one for $12,000. I haven't found anything that cheap that suites our family.
Lesson for the day

Cheap, Qaulity and Fast:

You can have Cheap and fast but never includes quality.

You can have quality and fast but never cheap.

This being said, I highly recommend looking into why things are as cheap as they are. When I had my grey wolf I had a number of problems, not major for the first while. Water heater never worked right, doors didn't close, moldings falling off, leaks... But then I noticed we had crap tires that were wore out within 2500 miles. Also noticed that the axles were not parallel with each other nor were the square with the trailer... was pretty disappointed...

Just a heads up...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Lesson for the day

Cheap, Qaulity and Fast:

This being said, I highly recommend looking into why things are as cheap as they are. When I had my grey wolf I had a number of problems, not major for the first while. Water heater never worked right, doors didn't close, moldings falling off, leaks... But then I noticed we had crap tires that were wore out within 2500 miles. Also noticed that the axles were not parallel with each other nor were the square with the trailer... was pretty disappointed...

Just a heads up...
It's not cheap. It's called on a budget. You'll like the 26bh and you'll be able to afford a good truck down the road. You will want better tires after a year so.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #18
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
You will want better tires after a year so.
Ain't this the truth.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #19

I'll agree with the others, it'll do it, but not easily nor will it be fun to travel with. But it sounds like you're going to stay reasonably local and take it easy getting there, just be prepared for it to be a pill towing.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Lesson for the day

Cheap, Qaulity and Fast:

Just a heads up...
Just keep in mind that most of the items you point out have nothing to do with the specific camper or manufacturer. The water heater you had trouble with is the same brand as an $80K fifth wheel will have, and the frame was likely built by one of a few companies that make the frames (which have the axle assemblies installed) for every camper out there. I've seen many campers that double and triple the price of the Grey Wolf with moldings falling off and doors not closing. Even some really high priced fifth wheels. The molding is thin on all of them, and if the staples are shot slightly too deep, they will pull out- very easy fix. With that being said, I wouldn't be afraid of the Grey Wolf at all. Would you feel better spending $12K and having to fix a few minor issues or spending $30K and having to fix a few minor issues?

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer