Old 08-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #1

skylight leaking on slide

I was cleaning my 295 b this weekend and noticed the tape that was sealing the skylights I have on my slide. It is a little over a year old and dealer probably had it for while. Any one else have this issue. I am hoping to be able to trim off the wrinkles and maybe the bubbles and then apply new tape. I am not looking forward to having to remove all the tape. any one with experience. I have attached a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0563.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1028   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0564.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1029  

donawilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #2

I think you have more problems then just wrinkled tape. I would remove the tape and inspect the frame work and walls, I am sure you have a health hazard due to mold and mildew. Do you notice an odor in your camper when you first walk in?, do your eyes burn and tear up, do your sinuses feel irritated and sting, do you notice a change in your breathing, if so you need to get the repairs done ASAP. This is nothing to fool around with.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Head Rambler

Looks like a bad application job from the beginning to me. I'd do my best to remove all the old tape. A heat gun will usually help soften the adhesive. Then replace it with new. Be sure to prep the surface according to the mfg's recommendations before applying the new tape.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #4

i am trying to figure out what i am looking at .Is that the top of your slide out and does the skylight have a shade on it? Is that a factory install. I would be extremely pissed off if that was mine, i`d have to make dealer fix it right away cause that`s got to be leaking some where
Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the heads up. Rockwood. not that much damage. I am in central texas and we have had a dry year. plus the slides are in most of the time in storage. Probably in the past year it has only been open for 30 days. we stored it at my dads ranch with them open for about 3 weeks with slides out. but not sure it rained. I think last weekend was the only time it ever rained while they were out. I only had a leak inside after washing it. I am waiting for the eternabond to come in. Bestmaterials has been great help. I sent him the pictures and made some recomendations.

thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #6

chevy2

that is the top of the slide. and yes that is a factory install. I have had the rig a year and bought it new. I am sure it has been like that but have never looked up there. I am almost 300lbs and send my daughter up on roof to look for tears but figured I did not need to inspect off a ladder till an annual cleaning inspection. I am trying to find forest river email address and just sent them to the dealer. Of coarse the dealer I purchased from closed but have another branch about 90 miles away. Not sure if it is worth the drive to drop it off that far and pick up. i will probably do a better repair anyway.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #7

How did you make out with the repair? Where did you find the tape? I have a leak on my slide and it looks like it is from the tape. Any info would be helpfull.

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #8

repair

Sorry I have not been on this one for a week or so. The repair came out very good. Should not of started to use carb cleaner. Got some on the sky light and made a cloudy spot. no big deal. Cleaned it real well. cut out all the high spots. and put a double layer of tape on it. Had to go double because I wanted to go out wider and get on skylight and new roof. I should of ordered 6" wide eterna bond tape if they have it but just got the 4". The tape is greate. I ordered it from Bestmaterial.com. They were quick and one of the cheaper ones I found. some place had 37' rolls for more than the 50' roll I bought. I used about the entire roll to do both skylights. Would of not needed near as much if had purchases some wider tape.

No problem so far but no rain in texas or at least central texas.

Good luck on your repair.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #9

pass on the tape... thats the product that failed on my skylights also... I used a caulk of some kind made by "dicor" my repair shop sold me.... very happy with the results... goodluck, Greg

Tags
cherokee