Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #1

so new awning ripped...now what?

On first trip the wife noted that the solar (15ft black power) awning was ripped where it meets the seem (rail?) on the camper. May be an inch or two. Tried not to use it but the sun was simply too hot. By the time the trip was over it's about 4-5 inches now.

1. this trailer is 2 weeks old
2. I've been camping for 10+ years (2 trailers) and never had a rip or damage
3. No major wind...nothing more then the shocks could handle. Always close when not at campground.

1. Is dealer going to believe me? I have a list of dozen things they need to fix.
2. If they don't want is the fix process? Does it come down just to tape or is it cut back a couple inches and reattached?

EDIT: Sorry the photo is upside down. Stupid forum doesn't like iMac photos I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	208768  
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #2

so new awning ripped...now what?

I know it won’t help, but at least it’s an easy fix. My first assumption is the stitch over stressed the fabric(my definition of holes to big/too close together/wrong thread or something.). Is it a Solair awning? I would prolly get the model and serial number and contact them myself. That way when you go to the dealer you will already know what they say....and if needed can pass that info to the less informed.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I know it won’t help, but at least it’s an easy fix. My first assumption is the stitch over stressed the fabric(my definition of holes to big/too close together/wrong thread or something.). Is it a Solair awning? I would prolly get the model and serial number and contact them myself. That way when you go to the dealer you will already know what they say....and if needed can pass that info to the less informed.
No...great idea!

I’m expecting a fight with our new dealer since I got a dozen complaints after our first trip. The service manager joked all obviously be back with warranty fixes when I had a complaint about brakes on day of pick up. Not our first new trailer but clearly the one with the most new issues.

I’m not worried about the other issues but I feel they are going to call out operator error on this one...which is not true. I think contacting Solar is a good start before it goes to dealer.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #4

mjcblc

I had my canopy ripe and found out it only had a 1 year warranty on it. recommend putting a care free vinyl awning to replace it.
mjcblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

Not the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
EDIT: Sorry the photo is upside down. Stupid forum doesn't like iMac photos I think.
I don't wish to start a fight, but the problem is not the forum. The problem is that you were holding the tablet upside down.

With a regular camera it's easy; the viewfinder goes on top. With a tablet you simply have to teach yourself which side goes up.

(It's true that newer software can either:
1) Rotate the photo to the proper orientation, or
2) Abstain from deleting the EXIF information which tells your browser how to rotate the photo.
However, this software--it's called vBulletin--hasn't been upgraded.)

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #6

Not a fight but we can disagree. Historical forums have issues with photos that are presented 100^ correct on our PC.

An iDevice can be held any way and the gyro will always find up. When we see the photos on our device they are correct. When move them to our PC, they are correct. When we move them to the Photos app they are correct and when we email and text them to friend...they are correct.

Then we upload them to forums and such and the coding in primitive and bases orientation on old meta data...

So maybe we are both right but the fact is these forum (I’ve managed several) and other PHP based CMS products cause issues all the time.

Nobody’s grandpa here holding his iPhone 2 upside down! An IT professional, designer expert as well as forum moderAtors in a past life.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Photos taken with most cameras include exif data that among many other things contain positioning data. That data is not always included with the photo when uploaded.

As for your awning, it appears that is was improperly sewed and the stitches that grip the awning on that piece were either damaged or too close to the edge of the awning fabric. That should be covered by warranty. I would argue the stitches let go not that the awning ripped.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #8

Answering by private message

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
Not a fight but we can disagree. Historical forums have issues with photos that are presented 100^ correct on our PC.

An iDevice can be held any way and the gyro will always find up. When we see the photos on our device they are correct. When move them to our PC, they are correct. When we move them to the Photos app they are correct and when we email and text them to friend...they are correct.

Then we upload them to forums and such and the coding in primitive and bases orientation on old meta data...

So maybe we are both right but the fact is these forum (I’ve managed several) and other PHP based CMS products cause issues all the time.

Nobody’s grandpa here holding his iPhone 2 upside down! An IT professional, designer expert as well as forum moderAtors in a past life.
Answering via private message.

Larry
Old 07-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

It's the software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Photos taken with most cameras include exif data that among many other things contain positioning data. That data is not always included with the photo when uploaded.
Bob, the EXIF data is included during the upload but stripped by the vBulletin software when the image resolution is reduced to save storage space.

Lots of older applications do this.

Larry
Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #10

When y’all call the awning a Solar or Solair I assume you’re talking about the LCI Solera. Take detailed pictures and contact LCI direct. They are very good with support for their products. Be glad you don’t have a CareFree.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #11

Your dealer will take care of it.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcblc View Post
I had my canopy ripe and found out it only had a 1 year warranty on it. recommend putting a care free vinyl awning to replace it.

I have a similar problem with my Carefree slide topper. It is 19 feet long and started to rip along the seam in the middle. It is one month away from the warranty running out. I called Carefree and they said, send the serial number and pictures and we’ll send you a new one. It was shipped yesterday. I had them send it to me and I’m going to put it on myself. I hate the hassle of dealing with warranty work. However, Your dealer “ should” do this work for you. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
I have a similar problem with my Carefree slide topper. It is 19 feet long and started to rip along the seam in the middle. It is one month away from the warranty running out. I called Carefree and they said, send the serial number and pictures and we’ll send you a new one. It was shipped yesterday. I had them send it to me and I’m going to put it on myself. I hate the hassle of dealing with warranty work. However, Your dealer “ should” do this work for you. Good luck.
Good for you...looks like you had much better luck than I did. Dealt with them on two occasions a few years back and the ONLY thing CareFree said was take it to a dealer.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Your dealer will take care of it.
I would agree with this. Or at least, your dealer *should* take care of it. At two-weeks old, the camper and awning are under warranty.

Shortly after purchasing our brand-new 2017 274DBH, we noticed that the corners of the awning at the attachment edge seam (same location your awning tore) were stressed/stretched and we could see daylight through the stitching. It had never been exposed to high winds. We kept an eye on it throughout our first summer of camping. While it never tore, we still took it in to our dealer in the fall since everything (including awning) was under warranty. Our dealer replaced the awning with no questions asked, and we noticed the new awning has a reinforced area along the attachment edge, which the previous awning lacked.

Good luck. New awnings aren't cheap. It's worth addressing with the dealer first, then awning manufacturer if needed.

Tags
awning