Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

Solar Ready?

Hi all,
Our 2015 Cherokee 254Q has the "Solar Ready" quick connect on the right front of our trailer. Does this mean that the charge controller is built in, or do I need to look for an external one? The owner's manual is vague on this point...
thumperpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpaul View Post
Hi all,
Our 2015 Cherokee 254Q has the "Solar Ready" quick connect on the right front of our trailer. Does this mean that the charge controller is built in, or do I need to look for an external one? The owner's manual is vague on this point...
Im pretty sure that is just wired to battery, made for those portable solar panels that have built in charge controllers. So yes... you would need a solar charge controller and panels.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

Nice video on youtube from "josh the rv nerd" Solar prep only means you have a plug in port on your camper with a wire ran for the battery/invertor.

It only gives you a nice place to plug into. More of a marketing ploy then a real advantage. If your camper was not "solar prepped" it would take 2 seconds to hook them up.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpaul View Post
Hi all,
The sticker on my 254Q says you need to buy from Zamp only.
BTW you are the only other 254Q owner I have run across.
Handy2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar