Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Steps lesson learned

I just had to have it occur a SECOND time to get it etched into my brain!
I get my TT leveled side to side & chocked. I disconnect the TT from the TV. I pull the hitch mount from the hitch.
I level the TT front to back. I block and adjust the stabilizers.
THEN I pull the hinged mor ride solid steps out. I pull the support side pins and push them up as far as they go. One side gets pinned in the lowest hole. The other side gets jammed up into the frame and still won't allow the top hinge to rest on the door edge as it MUST to allow the door to shut.
Push the steps back up and in the door, shut the door. Put the hitch back on and hook back up to the TT. Of course, winding the rear stabilizers up first and kicking the blocks out of the way. Then the front stabilizers. Pull the TT forward off the levelers. Add two more levels to BOTH sides levelers (previously none on the side of the steps, two levels on the other side). I was not going to add just one and have to repeat myself! Backed onto the levelers with chocks and started setup all over again.
I WILL NOT DISCONNECT THE TV FROM THE TT UNTIL THE STEP CLEARANCE IS CHECKED! I will repeat that three times after pulling into a campsite
I love the solid steps but they are unforgiving of unlevel sites.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

I have them on my Grey Wolf, they are definitely a love/hate relationship, I’m curious if a trailer that sits higher would/does have the same issues
mz_cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

surveyor 264RKLE, has 2 doors.

I initially thought the steps were cool. Now love/hate.
I have added a folding military shovel next to the leveling blocks to dig small holes for the step feet. Also, have removed the step extensions to make it work, a couple of times.
DW likes it (not) when we leave and i spend a bunch of time brushing and wiping prior to folding up the steps.
When we boondock, we can get to the bedroom using the front door (old style steps), but wiggling between the slide and the wall to get to the bath Can be done, glad we lost some weight. Also, fridge is at the rear door, so midnite or early morning fridge raids are out of the question, if the steps are up and inside. We have added a 12 volt ARB fridge in the Sequoia, but that requires pants.

Camping is still fun!

Now i have to learn how to rotate a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11C9ACB0-FD68-45C2-A66D-4218544DA9D2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	188916  
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #4

I have a funny story, I bought my Arctic Wolf from the original owners and at the time I didn’t have my fifth wheel hitch installed to tow it. The seller agreed to deliver it to my house. He wasn’t comfortable backing the camper up into my spot so I did it. I back it up forgetting that the moryde steps fold out, low and behold we disconnect the camper, we remove the hitch from his truck and drop it into mine pending final installation and he wanted to show me something inside. Well that never happened because I parked too close to my house. A doh moment. I had to wait several hours for a friend to help me move it. The wife and kids were no happy.
LJ17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #5

Mz_Cummins, I suspect you're right. I have these steps on a 5th wheel and haven't had a door clearance problem yet. I need to drop the steps to get inside to start the auto-level function.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

And this is the very reason I went with the Torklift Glowsteps!

I can set them up no matter what the ground is doing or how close I may be to something.

Out in the storage lot somebody parked their rig too close to mine and when I was out there the other day I couldn't deploy them all the way out.

So I just stretched them down like a ladder...with steps.

Wish I had taken a photo of them like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowSteps-P5020654.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	590.2 KB
ID:	188945   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowStep5-P3160596.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	961.1 KB
ID:	188946   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowStep6-P3160590.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	188947  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
And this is the very reason I went with the Torklift Glowsteps!

I can set them up no matter what the ground is doing or how close I may be to something.

Out in the storage lot somebody parked their rig too close to mine and when I was out there the other day I couldn't deploy them all the way out.

So I just stretched them down like a ladder...with steps.

Wish I had taken a photo of them like that.
Why are they called Glowsteps? Where does the “Glow” come into play?

Bruce
Old 10-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #8

They are called glow steps because there are patches of glow material on each side of the individual steps and they glow at night. I have the 4 step unit on my 5er. Much steadier than the 3 step, springboard steps that came with the 5er. Just used them like JohnD10 did the other day while at the storage yard.
Pipeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #9

sounds like maybe they are putting the wrong size steps on the cherokee. I have never had a problem with leveling them but my CC sits pretty high. Now I too have to watch how close I am to other objects on that side.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #10

On a truely level campsite I usually have the support feet down a couple notches.
Hadn't considered digging myself out of this hole
A handy shovel might make all the difference.
Although I may just always use my Lynx levelers so I can use the Lynx locking chocks.

I'm strongly considering flipping my axle to below the springs anyways to stop dragging my tank dumps on my driveway. This would significantly lessen the odds of the step problem from reoccurring.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #11

Outside of parking too close to something....store mine in driveway...so no problem there. Had the Cherokee 2 seasons now and not a issue with them at all. First day, I did make some wood blocks to use if ground was too uneven for the adjustable feet. One post is like mine...our Cherokee sits pretty high and ground clearance in not an issue.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Often something might be too close to deploy the flip-out steps.

In a parking lot or at a campground...lots of things to be in the way.

Best to flip them down first before unhitching or leveling to check.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #13

I really like the steps. Had an issue on our last trip because the site sloped pretty good from back to front. by the time I got the TT level, i had to pull the feet out of the step and set the step on my lynx block so I could close the door. I'll have to remember to check it before I unhook next time. Good idea, that would really be annoying.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote