Old 05-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Taking the wolf pup 16BHS in its first test run today

Going to a local county park with full hookups.
First time out with the new camper.
Have to wait till 3PM to check in but we plan to leave early to avoid school buses.
We chose Wednesday and Thursday nights before the Memorial Day weekend craziness and before school is out for summer. Nice peaceful adult time, just us and our lab.
I expect this local run will allow us to figure a lot of stuff out before traveling further afield. Especially stowage.
Going to use campground water to sanitize the FW tank, something to do while we are there and we are on metered water at home.
I'll still be going into the VFW club 7-10AM. I work there weekday mornings as I am the quartermaster. Checkout is at 12 noon so I really don't even have to leave early on Friday but I probable will. Non towing, the park is only 10 minutes away maximum.
I am going to exit my drive onto the main 4 lane highway without the load bars on, pull over into the "commercial trucks MUST stop here" pull off where a map of the hill into town is and the emergency no brakes run off section is shown to install the load bars. State DOT inspectors like to hang there during the day to check out the trucks. We've had trucks lose their brakes going down the hill and there is a right angle turn at the bottom to go through town. Run through some houses and into the river. A beer truck did that a month before I joined the Navy. We fished out all the beer we could the next day, mostly in hip waders because it was in early April. Kegs caught on the banks in tree roots. Ahhhh, a marvelous sight Unfortunately, it was an Iron City beer truck and a lot of the beer was Tech, Iron City's light beer before light beer was cool. Over 40 years ago.

Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

Good luck and have some fun while you're there!

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #3

Lessons learned:
Need more sewer line. I placed the TT output pipe about 5 feet from the sewer hole. The stretchy pipe doesn't like to stretch to its listed size.
Need more stabilizer blocking. Some extra blocking needed to level the picnic table, too. I really like those lego style levelers, probably going to pick up a second set.
Brakes were smoking and wheels hot to touch by the time we got to our site. Adjusted them electrically still got hot enough to smoke on the way home, so I eased the electrical adjust even weaker. The wheels were just real warm when we got home. I suspect the brakes were locking up at the slower speeds going down a lot of hills, some pretty steep.
Going to order a new memory foam mattress TONIGHT in RV/short queen. Wife's hip was killing her and was unable to sleep much. I think RV makers buy their mattresses from the same people who supply US Navy Submarines, maybe their next lesser line.
Our Lab behaved well but takes up a lot of space in the small camper.
My wife's anti-bee devices worked well. We had some bees around. Put up two of the bags on the awning and they disappeared. Just a lunch size paper bag, stuffed with newspapers, and she ties them off with fishing line (any string or twine works). Bees think these are wasp nests and go away because wasps kill bees. We have used several on our back porch for a few years and she figured, rightly, that they would be good for camping.
Don't rush hook up of the WDH or disconnecting. When leaving, I could not get both load bars on at the site so I had to get up on a level Road to connect the second bar. I failed to put the rear locking retainer on either bar in my rush. One popped out on the way home. When disconnecting at home, I did not pull off my rubber chain hanger off the ball right after lifting the tongue. When I pulled forward, the chains ripped right out of the rubber, destroying the brand new hanger ;( $8 plus shipping down the tubes.
I really need a Y connector for the water source. Make it easier to use my cleaning hose for the sewer line. Next trip to town.
When using an external filter for the first time, run water through it BEFORE hooking it up to the TT. While venting the inside lines, I first vented the shower/tube faucet. The filter blew a bunch of black carbon residue in the first water. I had to clean the tub out, looked terrible.
The TT USB chargers are iPhone level charging, NOT iPad level charging. 10% increase in the iPhone power level in about 15 minutes. iPad 0-1% in the same 15 minutes.
30 minutes was not enough time to heat the hot water the first morning. Second morning I was up 2.5 hours early for a nature call so I turned the hot water heater on then. Nice hot water this morning but even taking a Navy shower, it seemed the cold water resupply into the heater chilled it down faster than I expected.
My gin guzzling frenzy mix and my wife's Pina Colada mix both lasted one day per mix. I premade a double batch of each in one gallon ice tea jugs. Mine took the whole jug, hers about 2/3 of a jug. We only used one tea jug of drinking water over two days. Brought our own filtered water from home.
Part of our cleaning and water regimine was to use minimal dishes for washing and use the outside shower for cleaning dishes instead of the baby sink inside.
I ran a separate 12AWG power cable from the 20 amp outlet on the power post for exterior power vice using the TT exterior power. Hogged the whole 30 amp for the TT interior. Cooking was done on the fire, outside in an electric skillet, or in the microwave. The inside burners were not touched and had the wood cover I made for it over it the whole time. That's where the coffee maker, toaster, and small portable heater resided. Did not use the gas heater. I used the air conditioner once for 5-10 minutes for dehumidification the first night.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #4

Sounds like you had a typical first time camping experience.

With those water filters, you're supposed to run water through them til they run clear. Usually about 5 minutes, I think. We try to do it at home before we leave, but you shouldn't have to do it again.

I like your wife's bee solution. We'll be packing a couple of lunch bags and string in the future.

When you are using that y-connector, you might want to put a piece of tape or some type of mark to show which side you hook the fresh water. Chances of contamination are low, but my cleanout hose goes into the sewer bin and I don't want it to contaminate the FW.

Suggest a battery pack to charge your electronics.... and more gin mix.

Glad you made it back in one piece.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup