Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

The Q-Ship (Grey Wolf 26dbh) has landed.

Same story, different day. We too just brought home a new Grey Wolf 26dbh last night after waiting about 6 weeks for delivery. Traded in our totally remolded, 1994 Palomino TXL pup... great camper, was just ready to step up to the next level which was made possible with the purchase of a new F150 back in November. I never even got a lower ball mount for the pup.

It was a bit of a white-knuckle experience pulling the Grey Wolf home last night during rush-hour through downtown Denver and about 5 miles of one-lane road construction on I-70 but we finally made it home. The best part- it only took about 5 minutes to level, chock, stabilize and slide in order to enter it. This is a fraction of the time it took to be able to enter the pup without my rotator cuff aching from all the cranking.

2 out of 2 dogs approve.

The delivery wasn't the best. The PDI was lame with the tech not knowing some questions and occasionally would have to inspect something to figure it out first before describing it to me. But I'll give credit in that he didn't state anything that was incorrect or in contrast to popular or common logic. There was very little that was a new discovery to me but I'm pretty well read on most topics. It was winterized so they weren't going to hook up water or fill any tanks. It was very warm so we did get to see the AC run and blow cold but not the heat. They didn't pre-cool the fridge but it did cool down by the time we were done. Power jack, awning and slide all worked as did the all the lights, fans, stereo, range, oven and microwave.

I was okay with it but my wife on the other hand wasn't... she had pointed out every scratch, nick, rub, crooked trim, and staple head that wasn't covered which seemed to piss off our PDI guy. To his credit he patiently indicated every thing with a small piece of bright green painter's tape. About that time, our salesman came to check on us. Feeling like the deal was going to fall through, he called the lot manager out. He explained that almost none of it would be covered under warranty and that it was nothing outside the norm of a typical delivery even on units costing 5 times more than our Grey Wolf. We then decided to concede the little things but agreed to get one of the wardrobe doors, bathroom door jamb and dinette cushions replaced.

Just as we walked into the finance office, I whispered to my wife: "We're not getting the damn warranty they offer!" What a total fail! He offered us a 5-year, $50 detectable per visit (instead of item) with a wheel and tire package the covers both the TT and TV for $1500. It was a little difficult to pass up. We also got a $40 shopping spree in their parts department that allowed up to pick us a new 15' Valterra Dominator slinky stinky with nothing more out of pocket and a 30 amp surge guard at cost. But over all, when all was done it was a good experience and I would recommend the dealership.

After flipping my Andersen ball mount (I mounted it too low based of some feedback I asked for here on the forum) and hooking up we hit the road for the hour long drive across town. I didn't bother with mounting the WD chains and frame anchors for the short trek across town but towing something this big will definitely take some getting used to. However I was very pleased with the EcoBoost F150 and how confident it managed the load... I just need to work on my trucker wide swings around corners.

We didn't have a lot of time after getting it set up at home but it finally cooled down to fire up the furnace and it worked. Nearly dark, I wasn't going to fiddle around with the water and test out those systems but I plan to this evening. Another positive discovery is that we got the optional heating pads on our holding tanks and the semi 4-seasons package where they also cover the tanks with corrugated plastic and fill the area with foam. We were only considering this package when we briefly discussed ordering one with the fiberglass exterior walls. I guess it got mixed up but the price we settled on did not include this option and that same price was carried through to closing.

Initial impressions-
Great value- While over the course of the 6 week wait, I looked at just about every other TT in this size with double bunks and nothing came close. Upon further inspection, this it probably because the level of craftsmanship is average with the use of some less than choice materials. However the fit and finish in general is what I would consider above average and the upgrades with the limited package are really great. In the end, I didn't spend $40k for a coach as a status symbol and I'm happy with this decision.

Inside speakers- What a sad, sad excuse for a speaker... I'm not audiophile, but listening to music on the inside is an agonizing experience. As soon as I can figure out how to remove these sad puppies, I'll be replacing them. However, the Bluetooth receiver really makes up for the crappy speakers and the outside speakers sounded fine.

X-Chocks do work with the spread of the axles but those tires don't look long for the haul. I'm planning to keep them inflated and watch them close as I can't bring myself to replace something that isn't broken.

Still not sold on the windowless doors. Looks a bit cheap on the outside and it would really add some natural light to the inside especially on the window lacking side of the coach. Seems like an easy install and initial findings show options in the $50 range for each window. Most likely my second mod after the speakers.

Why don't the keys match for the front and back doors? Seem's like that would be pretty easy to sort out at the factory. Third mod, perhaps?

Totally automatic fridge and that DSI water heater! Wow, doesn't feel like camping if I can't struggle lighting some pilot in the freezing driving rain, 20-miles up hill both ways in 2 feet of snow, blah, blah, blah. The fridge was left on when we left the dealer thus switching to propane on the drive home and I was happily surprised to realize how cold it will keep a couple 12 packs of Dales Pale Ale.

First trip is already inked for this weekend in Beautiful Breckenridge Colo. First time at a private campground and first time knowingly going into freezing temps. Wish us luck, but I've already gathered good info on a post elsewhere on this forum. I told you I well read.

Speaking of a good read, wow, that drug on a lot longer that I thought is would! Hopefully it was good and thanks for sticking with me to this point if you managed to hang on.

More updates to follow...

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #2

CONGRATS!!! Our first Trip is this coming weekend also in our 2015 grey wolf 26dbh to Billings Mt. i agree with alot with the points you make about inside speakers they are very sad but think is an easy fix. door windows would be nice. enjoy your first trip.
jbert84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #3

Congrats on your Grey Wolf too! Did you just buy your's new? Ours was listed as a 2016 but I'm not sure what differentiates the 2 years. Just glad ours showed up with the black cargo doors.

Anyway it appears all the water systems are working well and the water heater works providing hot water. When I accessed the water heater to not bypass it, the compartment was filled with saw dust and metal shavings. I thought they could run a vacuum in there but what I found in the water pump compartment under the rear bunks was more disturbing...

In addition to a bunch of saw dust and metal shavings we find 2 shop rags soaked with antifreeze stuffed under the water pump. I'm guessing they discovered a leak when they ran antifreeze through to winterize it and didn't pull them out? This will be the number one thing I keep an eye on after I clean up their mess. I'm pretty sure Berkshire Hathaway must own a vacuum to tidy up these coaches.

The other thing is the obscene amount of space they use to shield around the water heater, plug in the wardrobe for the water heater and the water pump under the bunks. I've head there is quite a bit of room to be had in the cupboard above the sink that shields a the back of the control panel. More beneficial mods... kinda wish I had another month to work on this ever growing list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428453030549.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	73477  

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

yes our grey wolf is new it is a 2015 model. has the black storage doors. we too have found lots of saw dust and some metal shaveings in some of those compartments also. no rags tho. hope that is not an issue for you. and i agree with the panel that covers the plug for water heater in wardrobe take up alot of space for not much reason. does your shower have a bubble over it? ours does not and is the only thing im wishing i had. the shower is low for me.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:01 AM   #5

Driftinby,
My wife and I have an 015 274dbh which are basically the same trailers. As you stated we as well weren't impressed with the interior speakers, I ended up installing a pair of Sony 6.5" 3-ways that are much better. Installation is pretty standard just be cautious of the mounting depth of the speakers you choose as there is not much room in the ceiling. Enjoy the new camper!
Aaron015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbert84 View Post
does your shower have a bubble over it? ours does not and is the only thing im wishing i had. the shower is low for me.
We do have the skylight bubble thing. At 6'2", it's nice to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron015 View Post
Driftinby,
My wife and I have an 015 274dbh which are basically the same trailers. As you stated we as well weren't impressed with the interior speakers, I ended up installing a pair of Sony 6.5" 3-ways that are much better. Installation is pretty standard just be cautious of the mounting depth of the speakers you choose as there is not much room in the ceiling. Enjoy the new camper!
I'd love to hear how you got the stock speakers out. I worked on it last night and I couldn't separate the white bezel with the grille from the speaker. I then pried off the grille and the white bezel covered the mounting screws. I'm might have to get totally destructive with it which is fine since they are garbage anyway.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

I was up late until midnight cleaning all the mess they left behind and started to wonder how this would wreak havoc on someone with allergies. I also question how safe it is to have all this tinder around heating elements like the furnace or water heater. It’s no different than what I found on our 20 year old PUP when I started to tear into things… I just expected it to be not as bad on a newer unit being much more expensive. It’s definitely not a problem as I would have been rooting around these areas and inspecting the mechanicals- I just didn’t think I’d be doing it with my shop vac.

I removed the drawers in the kitchen island under the sink to find another mess.

And wet saw dust!

I couldn't find any of the lines leaking but believe this leaky, cheap faucet to be the culprit with no evidence of putty under it to prevent water from seeping under off the counter top. The big problem is going to be getting up under there to replace the faucet. In and meantime, a bead of silicon caulk around the base will do.

Here is another shot of the water pump area mess-

Orphaned screw, rags and hunk of aluminum siding.

Nice and clean now. I wasn't able to improve on the cover up panel here... for a single, straight panel it's already as close and it can be. I do have designs on lining the panel with insulation to quite the pump a bit more.

More metal shavings under the upper bunk mattress. I would have to think the wear and tear of these bits rubbing on stuff wouldn't be good.

And bits of trim, a staple and now a collection of 6 orphaned screws.

LEDs. This is a hodge-podge collection of LED bulbs over the years and clearly have different temperatures. I replace the 3 double lamp fixtures pictured here and the single lamp over the sink and the one in the lower bunk. A small price to pay for the 10 degree drop in temperature in the coach. I have 14 more bulbs on the inside to replace.

More observations from the fun last night fun.

Does anyone else find the converter fan to be loud and a bit annoying cycling on and off? Is the a fan mod one can do? The converter in our Pup didn’t have a fan so this is new territory for me.

The fabric they used at the end of the bunks is the worst. It’s like a faux suede and very light tan in color and already dirty after 2 days. Admittedly, I’m a little OCD when to comes to keeping stuff clean and looking fresh if you couldn’t tell already.

Tonight it’s all work on the tongue- install Andersen WD hitch and a second battery- it’s the one off our pup followed by the big move in.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

These poorly placed “cover up” panels- I’m sure some lawyer or OSHA regulation is behind this because it just doesn’t make much sense. In the end, the storage gains are marginal given how much space is available in this thing. After owning a popup, it’s probably because in it, you utilized every nook and cranny for storage.

As mentioned above, the water heater plug in the street side wardrobe. A round desk hole trim piece ought to do the trick but I scratch my head as to why this dedicated receptacle couldn’t have been placed 8 inches lower below this compartment? This will be the third best improvement.

With the panel in place. I wonder how many people have had the unmentionables slide under it and down the hole to be lost forever?

The best improvement I found with relocating a “cover up” panel was under the sink. Before-

What's behind? This shot is after I cleaned and vacuumed the debris that could come in contact with the furnace to the right.

After. I could do even better if I pushed the gas line over to the right and just covered the heating duct and didn't mind the water lines being in the space but this will do for now.

The water heater panel. Before-

After- Here I was able to move it to the left closer to the heater about 5 inches. Ideally, I will square this one up then make another panel that runs perpendicular allowing for storage of long items.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

WOW. Thanks for all the info and pictures. im going to check all these areas on mine tonight.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #10

Oh and I forgot... I hooked up our 37" LED Television from our bedroom and it locked on 42 digital channels and the picture was amazing. Very nice! Not that it would work, but I don't think I'm going to utilize the wall mount and just use the pedestal of the television instead. And we will probably just use this one going forward because I can't justify the cost of a dedicated television for as little as we use it while camping. For those interested, the 37" size fits very nicely on the mantel and to go any larger would probably be too much. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Quote:
WOW. Thanks for all the info and pictures. im going to check all these areas on mine tonight.
No problem. I like taking pictures and sharing my experience in hopes of helping others. I think it's working so far.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

Grey Wolf issues

We have a 2013 Grey Wolf 28bh. The issues that we encountered are:
a. construction fault with the wall at the front end of the slide out (which was repaired by the dealer);
b. lots of sawdust and metal filings;
c. added an aftermarket awning for the slide out to prevent accumulation of water and debris;
d. made a "turn key" for the hot water tank bypass valves to enable the valves to be turned from the outside of the trailer (instead of gaining access from under the queen bed through a small removable panel);
e. addition of a foam topper to the horribly uncomfortable queen mattress;
f. converting one of the deep drawers in the kitchen to 2 shallower drawers for improved storage;
g. addition of towel racks in kitchen and bathroom plus toilet paper holder;
h. minor plumbing leaks required fixing;
I. table pedestal legs needed turning to be in line with the table length to provide more stability to the table;
j. after a 4000 mile trip there is EXCESSIVE TREAD WEAR on the edges of the passenger side tires. Axles appear to be out of parallel and tires are not in line. Issue is now with Forest River for resolution.
Apparently in some cases the axles are not aligned when trailers are built!!
(according to info on the internet).
Happy camping!
2013 Grey Wolf Select 28bh
2012 Ford F250 Lariet Super Duty 4X4
Nights camped in 2015 = 36 and counting
biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinby View Post
We do have the skylight bubble thing. At 6'2", it's nice to have.

I'd love to hear how you got the stock speakers out. I worked on it last night and I couldn't separate the white bezel with the grille from the speaker. I then pried off the grille and the white bezel covered the mounting screws. I'm might have to get totally destructive with it which is fine since they are garbage anyway.
Your speakers sound like they are different then what I removed. The bezel and speaker were made together on mine but the screws were exposed. The speakers I removed were some of the cheapest crap for a speaker I've ever seen.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #13

I had same issue with separate door locks. Replaced one of mine to match other door lock. Also replaced baggage door locks to match camper door locks. Total cost was under $ 50, including shipping. Have one key for everything except outside shower door, instead of four. Recommend "Rv locks and more". Filled order fast, total mod under an hour.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #14

Congrats on new TT.
Never could understand why dealers don't clean up sawdust when they inspect things.
Oh forgot..guess they don't check things...just deliver to buyer and hope they don't discover things until warranty is off! LOL
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #15

driftinby

wanted to thank you again for all the info and pictures. after work last night my daughter and i went in camper and checked all the areas you pictured and found almost the exact same mess. minus the rages and wet sawdust. we did find a 8 inch piece of trim under top bunk. i was amazed at the mess behind the kitchen drawers. i did replace all the light bulbs with led that i purchased at amazon. so far i am happy with the led performance. the converter fan would turn on when i had six or more of the old bulbs on. i can turn on every light in my camper on now and the fan does not start. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks and enjoy your trip to breckenridge. Our first trip starts tomorrow evening.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron015 View Post
Your speakers sound like they are different then what I removed.
Sounds like it... mine are the total PITA type yet like yours, still sound like garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Recommend "Rv locks and more". Filled order fast, total mod under an hour.
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one to whine about that. I mean with all the keys I have for all the locks for different things related to the camper- x-chocks, hitch pin, propane tank, ball lock pin, coupler lock, spare tire lock, bike locks, it would be nice to shed an extra key. Thanks for the web site recommendation too. It looks like they sell lock core replacements for the global latches which is even better!

I got the second battery installed but the battery box is a bit high and touches the diamond plate so I'm going to have to source another battery box. Ideally, they could have placed the battery supports a tad closer to the propane tanks.

I got the Andersen WD hitch installed in less then ideal conditions. The winds were howling ahead of a cold front causing the temps to plummet so the install was done with much more hastily than I would have liked-

I don't think all is right however. I've got just about as much squat as I had before. I raised the ball one notch from where it was before because the front of the trailer was about 1.5' lower when hooked up but now I think it is too high causing my truck to really squat down. Like I said though, the conditions really didn't allow me to take my time and adjust it until it was perfect.

Unloaded-

Loaded-

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
driftinby

wanted to thank you again for all the info and pictures. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks and enjoy your trip to breckenridge. Our first trip starts tomorrow evening.
Again, not a problem, and thanks for the LED light recommendation. Thoes are the exact same ones I put in my Amazon cart yesterday. Just haven't pulled the tirgger yet because i'm undecided on them or the 24-5050 SMD LED lamps. It would be great to see some pictures of the ones you installed.

Sorry to hear you had the same mess left behind but I'm sure you feel a little bit better not to be taking it with you? Were you able to re-position any of the panels to get more space?

I'm already getting real excited for our first shake down trip. Where you headed on yours?

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #18

the led i have are very close to the original bulbs as far as the light is concerned. i for some reason have struggled to get any of my pictures to work on this site. i did move the panel under sink. we are headed to billings mt. my son is a freshman linebacker on the football team at Rocky Mountain College and they have a scrimmage Saturday evening. that is one of the reasons we purchased our camper is to go to his games, tailgating, and our own personal place to stay all season instead of hotels.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #19

Quote:
the led i have are very close to the original bulbs as far as the light is concerned. i for some reason have struggled to get any of my pictures to work on this site. i did move the panel under sink. we are headed to billings mt. my son is a freshman linebacker on the football team at Rocky Mountain College and they have a scrimmage Saturday evening. that is one of the reasons we purchased our camper is to go to his games, tailgating, and our own personal place to stay all season instead of hotels.
Awesome. When you think about it, staying in a hotel is just nasty. I mean, they can't even resale a mattress without sanitizing it but we don't think twice about sleeping in one hundreds of people have slept and done god knows what in. I'll need to get some info from you on campgrounds in Montana.

I use Photobucket for my photos. They have an app I use on my phone that uploads to photos automatically then I just have to copy the link URL from Photobucket and paste it in my posts. Obviously I have some practice... that and being software engineer helps to pay for my camping obsession!

Just finished moving in tonight. Got some shelf lining material to line the shelves in the pantry. Also picked up a bunch of tubs for stuff to organize. Didn't take any pictures though because I've been stressed about being ready to leave at a reasonable time tomorrow to miss rush hour traffic and get on up the hill but we managed to gitr done but I can already almost smell the campfire.

I also decided to sanitize the fresh tank. With doing so, that leaky faucet is going to lead to our first significant warranty claim. It appears these "solid surface" counter tops are a bunch of BS! They are actually melamine- plastic coated MDF and sure enough, the leaky faucet with no putty under it led to the wet sawdust, has caused the counter to swell around the faucet! This should be interesting but I'm half tempted to now install a real solid surface counter top instead of dealing with them installing the same crap. Jeez, I just moved all our gear in!

I'll post some pictures of our maiden voyage tomorrow and the RV resort we're staying at.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinby View Post
Sounds like it... mine are the total PITA type yet like yours, still sound like garbage.

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one to whine about that. I mean with all the keys I have for all the locks for different things related to the camper- x-chocks, hitch pin, propane tank, ball lock pin, coupler lock, spare tire lock, bike locks, it would be nice to shed an extra key. Thanks for the web site recommendation too. It looks like they sell lock core replacements for the global latches which is even better!

I got the second battery installed but the battery box is a bit high and touches the diamond plate so I'm going to have to source another battery box. Ideally, they could have placed the battery supports a tad closer to the propane tanks.

I got the Andersen WD hitch installed in less then ideal conditions. The winds were howling ahead of a cold front causing the temps to plummet so the install was done with much more hastily than I would have liked-

I don't think all is right however. I've got just about as much squat as I had before. I raised the ball one notch from where it was before because the front of the trailer was about 1.5' lower when hooked up but now I think it is too high causing my truck to really squat down. Like I said though, the conditions really didn't allow me to take my time and adjust it until it was perfect.

Unloaded-

Loaded-
interesting I haven't seen speakers like that! Did you try twisting the bezel? It's possible the bezel is keyed on. Mine were more of a flush mount but yeah cheapest excuse for sound I can say that.

Tags
grey wolf