Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #21

We had a good first outing last weekend in Breckenridge at Tiger Run RV Resort. It was our first time a an "RV Resort" and private campground but all went well and smooth as far as the campground is concerned.

Check in-

Our Site-

As you can see in the hitched picture above I think I solved the squat problem. I really wrenched down on the Andersen hitch tension screws, for lack of a better term. It road\drove well on the ~110 mile trek up I-70 hitting a max elevation of 11,158' above sea level. The F150 Ecoboost managed the load and kept to freeway speeds nicely yet, it was very thirsty in doing so.

However, we are going to have some significant warranty work done. We opened up the camper to find more sawdust and debris. The culprit? The speakers are falling from the roof!

Connections made and this mess cleaned up, we headed into town for dinner only to come back and find the faucet leaking and flooding the camper-

And that "solid surface" counter top that won't swell isn't all that... more like paper covered MDF that is swelling and puffed all over now due to that damn leaking faucet-

It's hard to tell in that picture but you can see the right side of the counter is now higher due to swelling, than the sink cover.

The water that leaked fell to the floor and we noticed the base of the cabinet, also made of MDF has swollen too causing the under sink cabinet door from closing. We have an appointment tomorrow morning to get the warranty work started on these repairs in addition to a few others.

Anyway, we did wake Saturday morning to 18-degree temperatures and the city water hose frozen solid but no other signs of anything frozen, yet. Frozen water on the exterior and frozen condensation on the inside of the windows.

We managed however to stay comfy and warm with the furnace only kicking on a few times set at 60F in conjunction with our space heater and it felt too warm while sleeping. What a difference over our drafty popup where the furnace would run almost constantly.

New Aeropress coffee maker and Camp Casual dishes made it feel just like home.

When it was time to pack up and head home after our short 2-night trip, I found our black tank frozen and unable to dump. With the temps hovering around 34F at 11 AM, our only option was to head to lower and warmer ground but not before going up and over the Continental Divide on Loveland Pass at nearly 12,000' (11,991') instead of cheating and going through the Eisenhower tunnel.

Once back in Denver, we used the My Pilot app to locate the nearest Pilot truck stop with RV dump station. By this time, things had defrosted and we were able to dump but not before paying $10 for the pleasure.

All in all, a good trip. We're obviously bummed about the water damage and falling speakers and feel like it's going to be a fight to get repaired under warranty. Also I could have done better to prevent the black tank from freezing but it was only a minor inconvenience.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #22

Completed our first trip also. What a great time. Going back this weekend. Driftinby sorry to hear about your issues. very frustrating for sure. we had no such issues. only a concern. did your water get very hot? we had what i would call warm water for dishes and showers. while taking a shower would put it on straight hot and was like i said just warm. our trip was 250 one way. trailer pulled great. about 10mpg going 65mph. coming home was better a little over 12 but had a nice 20mph wind pushing me most of the way. trailer wagged a little when that wind was directly on the side but never felt unsafe. making some up grades before going this week. have new speakers for inside, and an oxygenics shower head.

jbert84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbert84 View Post
did your water get very hot?
Yes, and perhaps ours felt a bit too hot but I wonder if that was because we were at 9000'. I enjoyed a nice long shower both nights to the point of running out of hot water but it was a luxury I didn't enjoy as much in our pup's tiny wet bath.

Did you have shore power? We had ours running on both electric and propane. I did read that there is a thermal cutoff at 180f with a manual reset. I wonder if your's got too hot or if you were just on propane if it doesn't get very hot but I would think the propane heater would heat very efficiently. Another idea is if the propane was was working correctly... in other words, lighting and burning at the correct temperature without any obstruction? Unfortunately, they don't have any manual thermostat adjustment.

Sounds like you had a perfect trip! To be fair since we do most of the climbing going west and benefit from some coasting coming back home east, our round trip average MPG was 9.9 MPG. Similar to yours but we ran into some nasty cross winds on the way back which made things interesting but never felt out of control or dangerous.

Good luck on your speaker install and shower head. I've got both the same planned in the near future.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #24

we were at a koa with full hookups. and i had both the electric and propane on for the hot water. checked the reset a few times also. disappointed that it cant be turned up. my old camper the water was hot enough. have tested both the electric and propane last night and both are working so i guess will see how trip 2 goes this weekend. i was just wanting to see how your hot water was since we are both working out the kinks in our new campers. . i have spent some time in the area you were this last weekend. (vail many many times for dr stuff with our son) beautiful country. and you for sure were pulling up some steep grades. sounds like your ford did great and a 9.9 average i would take for sure.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #25

Might be worth having checked out if it's still not good after trip 2. I'm happy with the F150- capable yet civilized... that is until I ruin the ride with a set of load range C or D Tires. I'm sure the 26dbh is no sweat for that big bow tie you have? Thanks, we sure do like it here in Colorado and that means a lot having lived in California, Arkansas, Ohio and Texas. Wish I could say the same for Montana... I've heard nothing but good about it but it is one of the few states in the Union I've not been to yet but we do plan to hit up Glacier NP in the near future.

I took the camper back to the dealer this morning and I couldn't' have picked a worse day, weather-wise-

Knowing it was going to be a long slow drive, I needed to fuel up with a breakfast burrito. This now makes just about every adverse driving condition I could expect to drive in. Not sure what I'll do when I hit the open flat road on a on a bright sunny day with no wind!

Like I mentioned before, I was ready for a fight but the service manager I talked to and pointed out all our concerns to seemed very receptive to everything and never once acted like any item wouldn't be taken care of. We even got into a discussion about replacing the faucet now only to have to replace it again when the counter top comes in. I told him not to bother with replacing it now and it would only be a waste of time. And there was no question about the speaker with the rear one now resting on the slide.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 04-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #26

I have the same trailer in a 2013... my piece of advice is to add some extra plywood to the top bunk right away... mine broke through and I understand they're all weak unless of course they've changed that for 2015
Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #27

We just returned from our first trip this weekend. We had only warm water as well.... After some research, there are three ball valves on the back of the water heater (under the bed). Make sure the hot and cold are turned ON and the middle pipe (between the hot and cold) is turned off. That is the bypass for winterizing. When I shut that off, we had very hot water.

No issues on our first trip.... And we had big thunderstorms last night. I will be adding a topen to the slide, as it was a mess without one.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #28

jwhite1301
i was able to figure that out also on this trip. had the bypass valve on. turned it off and had plenty of hot water. 2 trip two nights complete. really enjoy or grey wolf. next trip???? very soon i hope.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #29

Our next trip is in two weekends. We had zero issues with ours the first trip. Very impressed. But after seeing some of the pics, I am going to do a little more investigating.

For what it's worth - we are a family of 7, with 5 kids ranging 10-2. We all fit and had plenty of space actually. Really looking forward to our 5 day trip for memorial weekend.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #30

Just replaced the kitchen faucet due to a leak in the faucet. I am replacing all of the faucets with residential style that are made of metal and not from China Plastic. I will warn you it is a knuckle buster to get at the faucet hook ups and finally resorted to using a set of vise grips. If you have a basin wrench that should help.

Tags
grey wolf