Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #41

So the Zamp perwired is basically nothing? Figured it had to be and that makes a lot of sense that the controller would be on the panels themselves.

I fully understand the dilemma with the solar panels. We too purchased the extended warranty but by the time I got home I was convinced that I was going to install windows in the doors. If a door has a problem it's a lot easier and cheaper fix than a roof. I too obsess about theft as you can see above with me adding the tool box to help protect my batteries. When I pitched the idea of the tool box to my wife she asked: "How much is the box?"
Me: "$169"
Her: "How much are 2 batteries?"
Me: "About $200"
Her: "Oh?"

She didn't see the point of spending almost as much to protect something the costs nearly the same but I finally got her buy in when I said we can put the lego blocks our dog pisses on in there instead of inside the camper! Clean and sanitary is always the easy sale in my house but she would flip to know the stinky slinky is in tub under the back bunks.

I even hesitated to use the cheap plastic wheel chocks I got from Walmart at the storage lot thinking someone would steal them yet I see people with their x-chocks installed, batteries unlocked and propane tanks unlocked. I guess I just need to relax a bit on the theft thing.

And that is another thing, I got rid of the popup because I was tired of all the setting up and tearing down. Rather not have to fuss over setting up solar panels and I'd rather they always be out keeping the batteries topped off. Maybe something permanent on the luggage rack thing on the back but that is still susceptible to tampering. I know the flexible panels are getting a bad wrap (no pun intended) for scratching and cupping but short of sticking some of those down, I'm not sure there is a better solution and I sure as hell do want to void my warranty on something like the roof.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #42

Where I store It I feel totally safe it is monitored 24/7 with video and has a guard on duty my concern is while camping. I purchased a 2nd battery and ended up getting those metal straps that lock the batteries. My father In law said I was paranoid that no one will steal anything. On our first trip we were one of 4 campers in a 80 spot campsite. I didn't stow the generator or even lock it up at night I left my bundle of wood out, the closest person was about 10 sites over from me. Next morning wood is gone, generator was still there. Lesson learned that even with a small amount of people things can happen. It makes me a bit more cautious. I ordered a hitch lock and lock my xchocks to help prevent theft. In the end it will just keep the honest people honest but if someone wants it bad enough they will take it.

I am hopeful that I will get time this weekend to play around with the solar and hopefully will report back with some positive news.

I was thinking the door should have had a window as well is there any window type that would be best for that?
Timna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #43

I got locks an everything. I think my storage place is pretty safe too, but only time will tell. That's a bummer about your wood getting stolen.

I was thinking about something like this for the window-
http://www.amazon.com/Camper-Travel-.../dp/B00CBW66H6

Would like something that could be opened since the curb side only has the window above the sink that opens.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:40 AM   #44

I know this thread is old, but great reading.
We are picking up our 26dbh on the 6th of Feb.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf