Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Thoughts on towing Grey Wolf 23DBH vs. 26DBH

Hi everyone Iím so glad to have found a forum where I can get some feedback and advice from folks who actually use Grey Wolf travel trailers rather than trying to SELL me one.

My hubby and I are hoping to purchase a new camper this spring. We have narrowed it down to the Grey Wolf 23DBH and the 26DBH. We both love the 26DBH but is hesitant because he feels it might be much more difficult to tow, back into the campsites and set up than the 23DBH.

Personally I love the added space of the couch and the additional kitchen counter space in the 26 DBH.

When perusing last year at the camping shows, the reps were INSISTENT hubby will not have any more difficult time maneuvering the 26DBH as opposed to the 23DBH. But I also know thatís their job to try to sell us the larger unit.

The 23DBH is beautiful, donít get me wrong, but if weíre in this for the long-haul (no pun intended) I feel we should just go Ďall outí right off the bat.
Any true-to-life feedback on this? We are upgrading from an 18í pop-up. Donít laughóit was a gift from my Dad and weíve had a BLAST with it, and it has served us well ;-) But the set-up is a pain in the butt, the winch is failing and it simply does NOT have enough room for us anymore.

Of note--Hubby also has a 22 foot boat on a trailer he is able to tow and maneuver without issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

Be sure to research the vehicle that you intend to tow with. Be sure to have a break controller installed and prepare to read through a bunch of conflicting messages regarding what vehicles can tow those trailers safely.

Good luck and keep reading...

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Be sure to research the vehicle that you intend to tow with. Be sure to have a break controller installed and prepare to read through a bunch of conflicting messages regarding what vehicles can tow those trailers safely.

Good luck and keep reading...
Thank you I will run that by the hubby as I am not sure what the brake controller is.
(Further Proof that I'm a newbie )

We're towing with a Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn so I know we're good with the tow capacity (I remember correctly it is rated at just over 10,600), but I am unsure if we have the brake controller or if we'll have to invest in an after-market option.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Grammar Pedant

It's probably a good assumption that most of us haven't memorized the Forest River catalog of trailers. Thus, when asking about towing pros and cons of one model over another, it's helpful to offer up some specs. What's the length differences (not all model numbers are consistent in terms of length)? What are the GVWR differences? And, so on.

Generally speaking, it's true that larger trailers are more difficult to tow. Longer trailers are more difficult to manage, park, back. But, the degree to which those differences are significant depend on the magnitude of those differences and the tow vehicle's capability ... which we also don't know much about.

I certainly wouldn't laugh at starting in a pop up. I can't think of a better way to start. I started in a $40 10' tent from Walmart with my 3 and 5 year old sons. Then, I went to a nice North Face cabin tent. Later, I moved to a pop up, which was awesome. Like you, I grew weary of set-up and tear-down. Took me 6 years to wear out ... I just couldn't be bothered to crank the roof any longer. So, similar to you, I'm looking for a travel trailer.

You're asking the right questions. We just need a little more information before we can begin offering opinions and sharing experiences.

Good luck.

TV: 2005 F150, 5.4L, Tow Package, 4WD
Current RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Team

You need to check the load capacity on the drivers door jamb. From that number subtract the LOADED hitch weight of the trailer ( usually 12% of the gross loaded weight) another 100 lbs for the hitch and then any cargo and passengers in the truck. If the number is still positive, you are good. Does the truck have have a trailer tow package?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

Specs on both campers

This is exactly why I came here for advice and input! You guys rock! In my newbie brain it was as simple as a trailer of 3 foot difference. But looking at the specs and reflecting on your feedback itís clearly not that cut and dry. I DO know he has confirmed the truck has the proper tow capacity taking all the factors into consideration as one dealer sat down and did the math already, so weíre good there with either camper. The truck has the proper wiring for towing a camper with electric brakes.

Specs on the 23DBH :
Length 29.17 feet
Dry weight 5,385 lbs.
Payload capacity 2,196 lbs.
GVWR 7,619 lbs
Hitch weight 619 lbs.

26DBH:
Length 31.58 feet
Dry weight 5,553 lbs.
Payload capacity 2,212 lbs.
GVWR 7,765 lbs
Hitch weight 765 lbs.

(Both campers are dual axle if that is also a factor with regard to maneuverability)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #7

With 3 kids, I would say "bigger is better."

The 26DBH has a sofa for additional seating, which you'll need.

It looks like the 23DBH is 400 lbs lighter than the 26DBH,unloaded; but the GVWR is only 100 lbs less than the 26DBH. So not really a lot of difference there, although the unloaded hitch weight of the 26DBH is 100 lbs more.

Actual length difference is 2-1/2 ft.

The 26DBH also has a bigger pantry and more counter space.

I'd go with the 26DBH.

Hopefully you have an adequate tow vehicle. As Flybob has said, TV's often exceed payload before towing capacity. That extra 100 lbs hitch weight of the 26DBH may be an issue.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #8

Great advice above regarding making sure your tow vehicle is up to the task - and it sounds like it is. A good brake controller and WDH are a must, and money well spent.

As to your questions - when my wife and I went looking we were between a 17bh, 23bh and 26bh. The 17 was only considered to allow us to tow with our other vehicle, but once we decided against that it was, as you said, an no brainier to go with the 26 over the 23. Honestly, the units are very comparable spec wise - BUT the couch is worth the few extra dollars, pounds and length!!! For our trailer it is everyone's favorite place to sit, not to mention the extra sleeping space if needed.

Regarding the maneuverability, as you stated both are tandem (which was also a factor for us, as opposed to a single axle 17) and again, so similar in specs that the towing and backing experience for each would be almost identical - that i would consider that a non factor. If you struggle backing the 26, you would have the same struggle with the 23 Now if you have a space limit at home like a driveway or something, that would be the only reason I could see not getting the 26 over the 23.

Did I mention we love the couch?
Equal-i-zer 1k/10k
Kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacz View Post
Great advice above regarding making sure your tow vehicle is up to the task - and it sounds like it is. A good brake controller and WDH are a must, and money well spent.

As to your questions - when my wife and I went looking we were between a 17bh, 23bh and 26bh. The 17 was only considered to allow us to tow with our other vehicle, but once we decided against that it was, as you said, an no brainier to go with the 26 over the 23. Honestly, the units are very comparable spec wise - BUT the couch is worth the few extra dollars, pounds and length!!! For our trailer it is everyone's favorite place to sit, not to mention the extra sleeping space if needed.

Regarding the maneuverability, as you stated both are tandem (which was also a factor for us, as opposed to a single axle 17) and again, so similar in specs that the towing and backing experience for each would be almost identical - that i would consider that a non factor. If you struggle backing the 26, you would have the same struggle with the 23 Now if you have a space limit at home like a driveway or something, that would be the only reason I could see not getting the 26 over the 23.

Did I mention we love the couch?
Yes, that couch, that beautiful couch!! :-D and the larger pantry and kitchen all make it the best contender IMO. My biggest concern was whether that extra 2.4 ft would make THAT much a difference for him towing. The rep at the dealer said pretty much what you said, if you can maneuver the 23 you can maneuver the 26, there's a barely perceptible difference. *fingers crossed hubby lets us put a down payment next week on the 26DBH!!!!*
We have 5 kids, 2 of whom live (and camp) with us (ages 11 and 15) and the older 3 are out on their own and bound to give us grandbabies one day. So that extra sleep space is a great plus!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #10

The 26DBH is what we owned prior to getting this fifth wheel.

There were no campsites anywhere I couldn't maneuver into just fine. I pulled it with a half ton Chevy 8 cylinder gas truck (I still own it). It did ok. Wife's vehicle went out and I got a 3/4 ton diesel and let her drive the 1/2 ton (she still does). The difference was night and day. But the 1/2 pulled it fine, with a WDH of course.

I loved the trailer. Only drawback was nowhere to sit and watch tv. But it had beds aplenty. We slept as many as 10 kids and grandkids, just fine.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf, towing