Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Tongue height on 26dbh

3 more weeks until we take delivery of our new Gray Wolf 26DBH and I'm trying to sort out a WD hitch before we pick it up. I felt the discounted, $850 dealer price for one was a bit on the high side even without knowing which brand or model. I'm leaning toward the Andersen and to get the right shank ordered, I need to know the level tongue height of the camper in relation to the receiver on my f150. The dealer doesn't have one in stock to tell me and this information seems to be missing from any online literature on the Forest River website. If anyone knows, I would appreciate any information and if anyone is using the same setup with an F150 I would like to hear any feedback.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinby View Post
3 more weeks until we take delivery of our new Gray Wolf 26DBH and I'm trying to sort out a WD hitch before we pick it up. I felt the discounted, $850 dealer price for one was a bit on the high side even without knowing which brand or model. I'm leaning toward the Andersen and to get the right shank ordered, I need to know the level tongue height of the camper in relation to the receiver on my f150. The dealer doesn't have one in stock to tell me and this information seems to be missing from any online literature on the Forest River website. If anyone knows, I would appreciate any information and if anyone is using the same setup with an F150 I would like to hear any feedback.
I can't help you with height on travel trailer but I definitely like the Anderson hitch setup. I use this hitch on a Ram 1500 and tow a Cherokee 274dbh, tows like a dream. The dealer installed my hitch for free since I purchased the tt from them, they had price of $550 on the Anderson which is about $100 higher than some online prices but they also gave me a 10% discount as well. Hopefully someone will chime in on the hitch height for you just wanted to give you my .02 on the Anderson hitch.
Aaron015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:53 AM   #3

Actually I didn't think about it, 26dbh should be same as 274dbh, let me see if I can get this for you tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron015 View Post
Actually I didn't think about it, 26dbh should be same as 274dbh, let me see if I can get this for you tomorrow.
Thanks a lot! There are probably a lot of models made by FR that would be the same. The had the Cherokee 26dbh at the dealer and it didn't occur to me that it is the exact same coach except for some minor finishes on the inside.

Also, thanks for the feed back on the Andersen WD hitch. I posted in the towing section under an existing thread about hitches and didn't get much feedback in the midst of a heated debate between other brands. For every 9 good reviews I read, I read 1 that isn't good but that is the case for every hitch.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 03-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

Hitch height

I am In the same situation. I needed to know the hitch height in order to send for the correct Andersen hitch for our Mini Lite 2503S. A fellow FROGGER sent me the hitch measurement. I have been thinking, that is a positive statement, and I'll bet there are construction drawings for EVERY RV at the factory. It would be great if they would post a basic three view drawing for each unit.

I would like to know the overall height to the top of the AC, the width, height of the drain lines...the list goes on and on. I would think it would be a nice task for a junior drafts person to add to the website for each model.

I am excited to try the Andersen hitch set up. It looks like a perfect hitch for Mini Lites and other reasonable sized trailers.
Skip
SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinby View Post
Thanks a lot! There are probably a lot of models made by FR that would be the same. The had the Cherokee 26dbh at the dealer and it didn't occur to me that it is the exact same coach except for some minor finishes on the inside.

Also, thanks for the feed back on the Andersen WD hitch. I posted in the towing section under an existing thread about hitches and didn't get much feedback in the midst of a heated debate between other brands. For every 9 good reviews I read, I read 1 that isn't good but that is the case for every hitch.
Not setting perfectly level in my driveway but looks like to the top of the tongue is 26". Yep I know what you mean, me along with most like certain brands but with the Anderson setup I can only speak from experience. I don't have experience with other wd hitches but Anderson working great for me. Easy to setup and easy to remove, def does its job well.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #7

Skip I agree on that for sure, wouldn't take much to list some more technical information on campers. I think you will like the hitch too.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Not setting perfectly level in my driveway but looks like to the top of the tongue is 26".
Wow 26"? That is a lot higher than I would have thought on my 26dbh. I guessed it to be about 19" to the bottom of the hitch. According to the Andersen instructions, this height compared to the 20" height to the top of my receiver hitch on my f150, I would need the larger 8" shank. It's only $10 more and probably worth it to have the adjustability but for all the reasons I like the minimalist Andersen design, I wouldn't want the shank to be larger than needed. Thanks for measuring it and sharing it. I might have to track down the same model this weekend and verify the height.

I couldn't agree more... information on RV manufacturers' websites is dismal.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Site Team

26" is high. Think my lacrosse is 22" level and it has a high profile.
Some of the same type models may have the coupler over the frame and then other will be under the frame. This would change hitch height, although its not the norm.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #10

Yes the 26" I posted use for reference only. Where I parked it is not level so I did have to compensate for that. I also went with the 8" bar for adjustability purposes, I made sure the dealer had the wd with that option.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Not setting perfectly level in my driveway but looks like to the top of the tongue is 26". Yep I know what you mean, me along with most like certain brands but with the Anderson setup I can only speak from experience. I don't have experience with other wd hitches but Anderson working great for me. Easy to setup and easy to remove, def does its job well.
I got a technique I use to get ball heigth without leveling the trailer. I just measure between the axles to the bottom of the frame. then I take that measurement and add it to any frame changes as I work my way to the front, finishing at the top ofthe A frame.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:40 AM   #12

That's a pretty good idea! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
I can't help you with height on travel trailer but I definitely like the Anderson hitch setup. I use this hitch on a Ram 1500 and tow a Cherokee 274dbh, tows like a dream. The dealer installed my hitch for free since I purchased the tt from them, they had price of $550 on the Anderson which is about $100 higher than some online prices but they also gave me a 10% discount as well. Hopefully someone will chime in on the hitch height for you just wanted to give you my .02 on the Anderson hitch.

Wondering about your setup, as it sounds like ours...we just got our 26dbh and are pulling it with a 2012 Ram 1500 with a WDH (Elite Round Bar?). This is our first time pulling something this big, and it just feels so much "bouncier" than I imagined it would. Reminds me of being on a pontoon boat. Is this normal and we are just not used to it?
Mob5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #14

I don't have much experience other than the Anderson that I use on our trailer but it doesn't bounce much at all, very smooth and predictable. One thing to note I found when we first pulled our new camper is it catches a lot more wind from the sides but the hitch keeps camper pretty straight but I could def tell when the wind hit it. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some suggestions on the bounce.