Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Trailering noob.

Tongue Jack stopped working on a 26dbh :(

So myself and 3 of my buddies went to the storage facility to pick up the TT on Friday, there were some big storms here in the STL area about 2 weeks ago. Well the storms blew the trailer off of the wooden block i had underneath the foot of the tongue jack and also blew off the cover of the propane tanks. When i raised the jack it started to make an awful repetitive noise and wouldn't go up any higher. We were able to barely sneak the receiver over the hitch and then bring the trailer up, as the bottom of the jack was under 3-4 inches of soil after it was knocked off the wooden block. We were able to raise it and be on our way. However, when we were leaving our camping site this morning, the jack would not go up at all, we had to knock the wooded block with a hammer and then the jack would still not raise. I had to unbolt it from the frame. My truck is still parked at the storage facility since we cannot use the tongue jack. The worst part of the whole thing is normally, i would just use the manual crank but we tried that and the bolt that was on the top of the jack completely shattered so we couldn't even manually move the jack. Obviously, i need to buy a new tongue jack, would it be prudent to just buy a jack that has a much higher lbs rating than the stock one? sorry for the long post.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

I just uncovered my toy hauler tonight to prepare for our Florida to Colorado trip in two weeks. The jack seemed to move a bit slower than I remember. I have had a two year old tongue jack go bad on a trip and it was a pain finding a replacement on the road and of course I payed way more than I should have . I decided to replace my two year old jack before it goes bad. I looked on Amazon and they had several 3,500 pound jacks for about $100-150. They had a 4,500 pound with an adjustable foot for about $210. I decided to go with the 4,500 thinking since it does not have to work as hard, theoretically at least, should last longer.

For the small amount of money I decided to go with the peace of mind.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

Go with the higher pound rated jack (4K or more). You are not lifting just the trailer tongue but (assuming you use a WD hitch) you have to raise the trailer and the truck in order to smoothly attach the spring bars.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Trailering noob.

Anyone know what the Lbs is on the stock jack?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

turn it into the insurance co. as storm damage you have a bent jack tube. its not repairable.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastz28 View Post
Anyone know what the Lbs is on the stock jack?
Probably 3500. I too did damage to mine. Replaced it with a BullDog 3500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-05 18.02.32.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	115261  
Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
Trailering noob.

wouldn't be worth starting a claim really, i ordered a Barker Jack that a lot of others have had luck with, so we'll see.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
65 days camping in '11

I always have a bottle jack with me for changing flats. Might be a good investment for you.
kbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #9

Not to sound smart, but did anyone check the battery to see if it was charged. Mind wouldn't move this past Wednesday and that's what it was.
Xrrider is offline   Reply With Quote