Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Couldn't that be said for any input that we give on the forum? From towing at all to suggesting a voltmeter (I honestly have no idea how to use one and can only imagine the shock I'd manage to give myself stuffing the probes into a 50amp outlet) to replacing heating elements on the water heater to (well, you name it). We have to take a leap of faith with the forums.

All I'm saying- the recommendation is that it can be done. The OP needs to learn how to do it safely.

Here's proof that no one should ever tow a camper or even use a slide-in camper:

Even tho your point is valid.

You can hire someone qualified to do your electrical check with no ill effects.

The op can hire no one that can guaranty that the hitch he just mounted to the frame of his trailer "ultra light" or other trailer wont break.
And end up in accidents much like you pictured.

For the most part forest river doesnt recommend putting hitches on there bumpers or frames so what makes us think we can "safely" ?

Frame thicknesses on these units are minimal and it's not worth my family's safety or those who follow me.
im not sure why were debating this ....... im out.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
WD-40 wasn't designed to be a lubricant, and duct tape wasn't meant for household uses...

Apples and oranges, duct tape and WD-40 do not threaten other people's life's.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Even tho your point is valid.

You can hire someone qualified to do your electrical check with no ill effects.

The op can hire no one that can guaranty that the hitch he just mounted to the frame of his trailer "ultra light" or other trailer wont break.
And end up in accidents much like you pictured.

For the most part forest river doesnt recommend putting hitches on there bumpers or frames so what makes us think we can "safely" ?

Frame thicknesses on these units are minimal and it's not worth my family's safety or those who follow me.
im not sure why were debating this ....... im out.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
It is indeed rare that I ever agree with FT Turbs, but on this one he is 100% correct!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think ive "said enough"

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
What Turbs said x 1,000,000

It is doable, but NOT with a light or ultralite frame, sorry , just don't do it, as I don't want to be the guy behind you when it lets loose....
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #25
Always Learning

What type of frame does a Grey Wolf have?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
What Turbs said x 1,000,000

It is doable, but NOT with a light or ultralite frame, sorry , just don't do it, as I don't want to be the guy behind you when it lets loose....
If I happened to be behind one and survived, I would file lawsuits to get everything they owned or ever hoped to own.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What type of frame does a Grey Wolf have?
Unless it has a real 'non fabricated' steel structural I beam frame, it should not have a hitch put on it regardless.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #28

There are soooo many things that aren't "meant" to be done a certain way, but are done that way and done safely each and every day.

Many of the users are "overloaded" compared to their GVWR which could lead to failure and result in death, but is a rarity.

I've seen people beef up the flimsy electric leg stabilizers to help stable the camper, these weren't meant to be strengthened as it will now stress the siding, the frame, and the framework of the supports as the legs can now handle more stress.

I have seen people install additional scissor jacks directly to the framing of campers...

What about the use of a weight distribution hitch? that puts a LOT of stress back into the frame of the camper as well as the tow vehicle but no one seems to be concerned there...

I am sort of playing the devil's advocate here and in a way sort of apologize. This country wouldn't be where we are today if we just accepted the fact that things weren't meant to do what we may wish they do...

I feel it is up the OP to do his homework and figure out whether he has faith in his camper's frame, his tow vehicle and his ability to maneuver the rig. It is also in his hands to find out whether or not this method is legal to even attempt in the state/s he may be traveling...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
Mod free 5er

Correcting design flaws differs from altering a frame to do something it is not intended/designed to do like towing another vehicle/trailer. As for jacks in front of the axle on the suspension framework, the trailers are designed to be supported in this area.

Like FT Turbs, I'm outta here.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #30

Sounds like i really stirred up some debate here! I think I will not try to haul a trailer behind the RV. I have an ultralight and with some of the replies, it has brought up memories of what the dealer told me. He said not to try and level the camper with the stabilizing jacks due to possible frame damage.

f1100turbo- I like your comment(run from this)

daavalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #31
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by daavalanche View Post
it has brought up memories of what the dealer told me. He said not to try and level the camper with the stabilizing jacks due to possible frame damage.

f1100turbo- I like your comment(run from this)

You ALWAYS level with wood, blocks, etc. The Stabilizing jacks are just that. Stabilize the unit from the rockin at night.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
You ALWAYS level with wood, blocks, etc. The Stabilizing jacks are just that. Stabilize the unit from the rockin at night.
And the day!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #33
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Regardless of how many times it's been done, I would not attach a hitch to ANY of the trailers built with a fabricated I beam frame. They are not designed for those type loads regardless of anyone's design or welding expertise. You are just creating a potential problem for yourself and others. To quote FT Turbs, "It's absurd".
X3 or 4 or whatever.
I work with frames all the time, and most manufacturers won't warranty or recommend/ allow holes drilled or frames welded on unless following the manuf. guidelines.
Oh and FR or lippert ain't gonna give u any for this kinda application.

You can lead a horse to water......

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #34
Plain Old Member

So, I reckon I'm one of the bad guys now since I've had 3 rigs set up to double tow. That's fine. Would I do it again, yep. Do I do it now, no. Between rig length, gross weight, and me not being satisfied with the looks of the frame, I opted to leave our present rig alone for safety reasons. I hear what everybody says, and agree with a lot of it. However, each case is different. In mine, 2 were leland box tube frames. Believe me, a LOT of thought went into each one, and I would not have done it if I didn't think it could be done safely. Sorry, the law suit comment hit me the wrong way. Seems to be the way the world is now, with everything. I'll keep the rest of my comments to myself.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #35
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
So, I reckon I'm one of the bad guys now since I've had 3 rigs set up to double tow. That's fine. Would I do it again, yep. Do I do it now, no. Between rig length, gross weight, and me not being satisfied with the looks of the frame, I opted to leave our present rig alone for safety reasons. I hear what everybody says, and agree with a lot of it. However, each case is different. In mine, 2 were leland box tube frames. Believe me, a LOT of thought went into each one, and I would not have done it if I didn't think it could be done safely. Sorry, the law suit comment hit me the wrong way. Seems to be the way the world is now, with everything. I'll keep the rest of my comments to myself.
Yes your boxed frames would probably make a huge difference. I know DRV and a few others have a box or double box frame and these are much sturdier.....and much heavier.
However FR doesn't offer this and that is why the consensus is what it is.
If your other than FR manuf. offers or recommend/allows trailer hitches, then go for it.
Not trying to do anything but inform those that have doubts.
Reese and curtis make trailer hitches for almost every CAR out there, but im sure they consult the manuf. guidelines for specs for thier ratings and mounting.
Stay safe!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #36
Plain Old Member

I definitely think people need to be aware of their limitations and the fact you can't just do anything to any trailer frame. I agree and support that 100%. Just seemed like this thread had turned into a "anybody that does this is stupid or crazy" conversation. Me, crazy, my wife will say definitely yes, but far from stupid. Definitely won't do anything that will put me or anybody else in danger.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #37

I have pulled a boat behind my 5th wheel lots but can't tow anything behind a tt in Alberta good luck
trackhoe59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, towing