Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

towing w/ fridge in locked half open storage position

I have a 2018 Grey Wolf 23MK TT and am wondering about whether I should have 'closed' the refrigerator last weekend before pulling out of storage to do some work on it back at the house. Intuitively it makes sense to me that I shouldn't be towing w/ the fridge in that locked partially open for storage stage because it will put stress on the plastic sliding pins.
Do you guys always close your fridge when you tow? or am i overthinking this?

MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #2

I would keep it closed. If you are worried about moisture I would throw an old pillow case with rice in it to keep it dry. If you don't turn it on you should not have an issue with moisture.

corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
llr

If it is the same pins I had they seem plenty strong and I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember to close it before starting so it cools probably and doesn't ice up.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Don't know what fridge you have, but are you referring to these things like I have with my Dometic:

If so, I've found they can pop out when towing. Ran into an issue where I installed them at home, then pulled to the storage lot and parked it. Next time when I pulled it home from the storage lot I found the door to fridge had been closed all this time cause the tab thing came out.

Now, I just leave the door closed when I pull it to storage, then go in the trailer and put the tabs in after it's parked. When I pull it back home I don't bother removing the tabs, but that's because the first thing I'm gonna do at home is go make sure the fridge is turned on and cooling in prep for getting stocked.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

Thanks everybody. Kaadk, I'm referring to the small white sliding pins that are part of the handle. They allow you to lock the fridge in a 'not quite closed' position for storage to allow air in. I don't have the fridge turned on, I was worrying about busting the pins during towing.
thanks again, i think i'll close the fridge next time. It's always the little stuff. I already forgot to connect my shower doors (double loop rubber thingy) and had a shower door laying on the floor of my bathroom when I got home. I was lucky nothing broke.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

We always closed the RV fridge in our Class C before we moved it anywhere so we made sure it was properly secured. Fridge repairs are costly and your worries about developing odors in such a quick time span are truly nothing to worry about!
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #7
Retired Navy

I use the plastic clips like Kaadk posted for storage, but find they are not secure enough if my Lexington is moving. I shut the door all the way if I have to move the motorhome.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #8

I would definitely close he door(s) when towing to eliminate stress on the door mounts & hinges.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #9

Reefer storage

I forgot to open my refrigerator and freezer doors when I put the trailer up for the winter. When I got the trailer to the house, there was mildew all over the inside of both units. A mess to clean up, and the trailer smelled like bleach for several days. Never again. Between trips, I now leave the doors standing wide open. But they're closed when rolling, because the fridge is in use!

DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, lock, storage, towing