Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

TV options

I am looking at putting a TV in my Grey Wolf 23DBH. I am new to RVs, and trying to figure out if I should get a 12vdc TV or a 120vac and run an inverter that I already have. Is one better than the other? And anyone know what fits up in the factory location?

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190624-203530_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	208165
NotLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #2

I have the 26DBHL and it appears the layout is the same as yours as far as the set up for tv. I have a 43" that I mounted on a swing arm to eliminate neck strain when seated in certain spots.. Plenty of room.

The 12v TV's I have looked at seemed kinda small and pricey for the size...I just use my TV when I have shore power or hooked up to my genny.
Nemisportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. It seems like the limiting factor for size is the factory mounts. I think I could get a 32", inverter, and second battery for the cost of the same size 12v TV...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLost View Post
Thanks for the reply. It seems like the limiting factor for size is the factory mounts. I think I could get a 32", inverter, and second battery for the cost of the same size 12v TV...

I ditched to factory mount and used a different mount. It fit just fine with the factory backing plate...
Nemisportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #5

Is it just a backing board in there? So anything else with a similar footprint should work?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

12V TVs are very limited, quality and features dont compare to AC counterparts. If you're boon docking, 12V would be a clear winner and use less of your battery, but led TVs these days use very little wattage. Always check and compare the power consumption specs.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
12V TVs are very limited, quality and features dont compare to AC counterparts. If you're boon docking, 12V would be a clear winner and use less of your battery, but led TVs these days use very little wattage. Always check and compare the power consumption specs.
12v tv's usually cost more and have less features, as you said.
We dry camp a lot and we have a regular Vizio 32" that runs on a 150w inverter. So we don't need a 12v tv.
As far as I know, a 12v tv would use the same amount of battery power, as a 110v AC tv on an inverter.
By the way Kevin, I've been a K2 guy for 30 years. I have a K2 Electra snowboard and a number of K2 bikes. I was on the K2 Grassroots MTB Racing team for a few seasons.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. Since I already have a couple inverters, I'm going to go that route. I wonder if I can wire it in to feed all of the 120v outlets? Any suggestions for a decent TV mount?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLost View Post
Thanks for the replies. Since I already have a couple inverters, I'm going to go that route. I wonder if I can wire it in to feed all of the 120v outlets? Any suggestions for a decent TV mount?
Operating a 12v tv or 110vac tv off an inverter or batteries is, more or less, going to equal out. I'd go inverter...(I'd probably turn the TV off!) A tiny battery charging genset (4 stroke) and inverter, as others have stated, IMHO, will offer your best outcome and gives you flexibility.. You'll want the 110vac tv features when on shore power.
The 110vac system can be inverter powered by locating the inverter near the converter. Just keep the load commensurate with the inverter/battery bank potential. Inverters have low voltage shutdown that will interrupt your Fox News at about 10vdc. The battery bank must be calculated with the load vs amp vs hours vs shutoff voltage in mind. A quality battery bank is heavy on both wallets and camper suspension. Inverters are heavy on batteries too. Calculate carefully.
The battery bank must be replenished daily and if seriously dry camping, a genset is highly desirable. The deeper batteries are discharged, the shorter the life. That's why inverters limit the discharge voltage. A 12vdc tv (no inverter) will likely drain the house batteries well below 12.2 or so, due to no voltage sense, which is considered a dead 12v battery. 12.6 or 12.7 is fully charged. 13.6 is typical converter charge rate. 13.2 is common float. 12.2 requires recharge, with an appropriate map for your batteries.
Inverters present the non-informed spousal components with myriad ways to access 110vac. This requires intervention and education. Gotta impart inverter hygiene.
;o)
*BTW, forget solar recharge. $$$
*Remember that the slide and awning require 12.6 vdc to retract.
Sorry for the epistle...
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #10

All good points, thanks for the reply. I have plenty of generator to run and recharge, using dual batteries and a separate battery charger to keep things charged.

If I can find the correct wires (no wiring diagram blah) I hope to throw in enough inverter to run a TV at most, we are very used to only being on battery.
Combine all that with some relays to isolate the power sources and away I go, hopefully.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #11

I picked up a 24" Westinghouse from Best Buy that has a built in DVD player. Between the Fire Stick and the DVD player, the kids are occupied well enough.
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” - Theodore Roosevelt

TV: 2003 F250 V10 4X4
TT: 2019 Wolf Pup 18TO Black Label
Maticuno is offline   Reply With Quote