Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #1

Using a generator with my wolf pup.

Hello, I have a 2017 wolf pup with a WFCO converter. When I plug my shore power cord into my 2kw WEN generator to run the 900w microwave, sometimes the microwave just shuts down and the generator panel light indicates a fault. I have to shut down the generator to clear the fault and restart it again. There are no other major loads running at the time such as a hot water heater or the air conditioner. This is an intermittent problem and I can't seem to nail down the root cause. If anybody else has experienced something similar to this and found the cause please let me know. Thanks, Ken.

KenS999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS999 View Post
Hello, I have a 2017 wolf pup with a WFCO converter. When I plug my shore power cord into my 2kw WEN generator to run the 900w microwave, sometimes the microwave just shuts down and the generator panel light indicates a fault. I have to shut down the generator to clear the fault and restart it again. There are no other major loads running at the time such as a hot water heater or the air conditioner. This is an intermittent problem and I can't seem to nail down the root cause. If anybody else has experienced something similar to this and found the cause please let me know. Thanks, Ken.
Are you using a WEN 56200i? I have one and love it.

A couple thoughts for using your microwave...

1. Are you using the WEN on eco mode? If so, the eco mode can run the trailer fine but the microwave is a heavy load so you have to turn off eco to allow the RPMs to run up fast.

2. I have a 900w micro in my trailer but the actual power consumption draw is 1350w. So, running on 120v and 1350w you're asking the generator to produce 11.25 amps.

3. I doubt it but you may need a bonded neutral/ground plug. Depending on how the microwave operates, it may recognize the generators open ground and cause it to trip.

4. Make sure EVERYTHING is off. Switch the refer to propane momentarily, turn off the tv, etc.

If you do have the 2000w 56200i, it runs at 1600w continuous and the microwave and parasitic draw of the trailer will take every bit of that.

Let me know how it goes.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #3

According to Honda, a microwave labeled 900W is actually pulling closer to 1400W. If your generator is running on Eco mode, it might not be able to throttle up quickly enough every time to supply the right amount of power. Try running the generator on normal throttle instead of Eco when starting the microwave. If that solves the problem, then you may need a slightly larger generator.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...timation-guide
ďHere is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.Ē - Theodore Roosevelt

TV: 2003 F250 V10 4X4
TT: 2019 Wolf Pup 18TO Black Label
Maticuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:55 PM   #4

I always run the generator with Eco Mode off if I intend to run the microwave or any heavy load items. Run the fridge on propane all the time no available electricity where I'm camped. No other loads running if I intend to microwave. Got to wonder if the converter charging the house storage batteries has anything to do with it?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:06 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

My converter will take upwards of 15-20 amps when charging the batteries.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #6

My brother had a similar problem and after some research found out it was the altitude where he was. I'm not sure where you are, but if your in high altitude you lose some generator power.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #7

Pretty sure this is only a few hundred feet above sea level here in the desert in Wellton Arizona. The next incident I had with the microwave I may try to take the converter offline using the breaker though.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My converter will take upwards of 15-20 amps when charging the batteries.
That must be a very high output and consuming converter. You sure that other ac appliances (fridge and hot water heater) aren't drawing power as well?

The converter only runs the dc appliances, lights and chargers the batteries. The ac panel is a separate system that only works while connected to shore power. The converter is just another part of the ac system that helps the dc system work.

I checked my converter tonight and it is listed to put out 940w which equates to 7.83 amps on shore power. I could see with the fridge cooling and maybe the water heater going with the converter to draw 15 amps.

Also, if the converter takes 15-20 amps to charge the batteries, there's no way a 2000w peak generator could keep up. You'd need 1800 continuous watts in order to push 15 amps.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #9

I have the same problem (and frustration) as Ken the OP and am using the WEN 56200i.

In my 274DBH, it has the same 900 watt microwave that actually uses 1350 watts. Only place this is listed is in the small print of the owners manual.

I can only use the microwave for 18 seconds. At 19 the generator overloads. Nothing else on.

According to my EMS-PT30X when plugged into shore power, the parasitic draw averages about 3-4 amps (I don't use the EMS plugged into the gen)

Frustrating they would put this microwave in a TT. The huge microwave in my house uses only 1200 watts.

I have not figured out a solution other than I plan on just upgrading to a Champion 3400 this spring. I don't want to haul 2 gennies around.
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

Turn off eco mode

I have the same WEN 2000 watt generator. Make sure eco mode is off when using the microwave. If it's on, the gen cannot speed up fast enough, and it overloads. If it still overloads, flip the converter breaker off to see if it's the combination of microwave and battery charging that's overloading it.

You should always have eco mode off when starting any moderate or heavy load. You can turn eco mode on after the load has started up and the gen speed has stabilized.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
Ham Call N8SAC

Get a bigger Gen Set. Or turn off some things.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #12

I am the OP and I have taken the converter offline as I am not hooked up to shore power any way. So far so good. No more overload on the WEN generator when microwaving. So thank you to those that suggested looking into the converter as a possible culprit. Ken.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell D Pratt View Post
Get a bigger Gen Set. Or turn off some things.
As stated earlier, no major appliances running when using the micro. The only other thing running was a CO detector. Even the fridge was off. thanks, Ken.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 PM   #14

Got to wonder if the converter charging the house storage batteries has anything to do with it?

Bingo, we have a winner...

Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wolf pup