Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #1

Want more ground clearance

I have a 2018 Grey Wolf 29TE, so far we are very happy with it but I’m worried about clearance of the sewer pipe and also the rear frame skid brackets, the sewer pipe is probably only 5” from the ground

I was looking under the trailer the other day and noticed the the axle is mounted on top of the leaf spring between the leaf and trailer frame, is it possible to move the axle to the other side, I’m guessing I would gain about 5” but my big concern is not voiding my factory warranty or the extended service plan

Also what kind of roof material is on Grey Wolfs, EPDM or TPO, I was thinking of using Camcos rubber roof and conditioner but not sure if that’s right
mz_cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:29 AM   #2

The standard Jeep axle flip might work but you'd need to cut off and weld on new spring perches. The axle can't just be flipped over 180 degrees because it has an arch to it.

It's probably easier to weld a spacer between the frame and the spring mounts. That's a fairly common way to increase ground clearance.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #3

Roof is likely TPO

My trailer documentation indicated the roof material was from Alpha Systems. Found their website, and there's a page of theirs I'll post a link below to that explains the difference. Per that page, EPDM is smooth; their TPO / Alpha-Ply is a 'haircel' (sic) texture (similar to an orange peel - but white in color).

My 2018 Grey Wolf definitely has that orange peel texture, so I'm guessing yours probably does, as well.

Here's a pic of a plastic sheet (not from their site) in haircell finish. This is almost exactly what mine looks like:

Alpha has a link on their site below to a YT video, where they demo roof cleaning & show cleaners they consider acceptable. They mention Dawn and Simple Green by name.

Alpha Systems Page:
Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
My trailer documentation indicated the roof material was from Alpha Systems. Found their website, and there's a page of theirs I'll post a link below to that explains the difference. Per that page, EPDM is smooth; their TPO / Alpha-Ply is a 'haircel' (sic) texture (similar to an orange peel - but white in color).

My 2018 Grey Wolf definitely has that orange peel texture, so I'm guessing yours probably does, as well.

Here's a pic of a plastic sheet (not from their site) in haircell finish. This is almost exactly what mine looks like:

Alpha has a link on their site below to a YT video, where they demo roof cleaning & show cleaners they consider acceptable. They mention Dawn and Simple Green by name.

Alpha Systems Page:
Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC

So if I read right a EPDM and TPO are rubber roofs, they said just dawn dish soap to wash but what about conditioning the roof?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

As far as conditioning, they advise not to use *anything*.

That being said - am I only using Dawn and nothing else, myself? Nope. I picked up a bottle each of the ProtectAll Rubber Roof Cleaner & Protectant, based on consensus here. Easy off (dirt) / on (protectant). Sponge mop to apply, no scrubbing needed.

You can actually buy them direct as a 'bundle' for $34 (although I got mine from Camping World for next to nothing, since they sent me a $25 coupon for joining GoodSam):

https://www.protectall.com/shop/rv-rubber-roof-care/

While it appears the 'cleaning' agent can be somewhat flexible, I disagree with Alpha on 'no need for UV protection'. Would you sit out in the sun 24/7 with nothing on your skin?

Besides, not long after I got my trailer (it had sat on the dealer's lot for 6mos or more), I could see what looked like evidence of chalking - so I take their "won't chalk" claims with a grain of salt, TBH.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #6

A few years ago when we got our Windjammer, Forest River had a recall because the wheels of the trailer were too close to the frame. They supplied a kit that allowed the trailer to be raised about 3 inches or so. You might check with them to see if they have such a box that they could be installed on your RV. They may charge you for it, but, it may work better than changing the spring mounts and axels. Our Windjammer has a ton of clearance now, but, pulls the same or better than it did.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #7

We looked real hard at the 29TE. Loved the floor plan but decided on the 27DBS in the end.

The 27DBS had a low drain problem as well. I relocated the drain values on ours which moved the valves 16" forward and gained 3.25" in height. Helped a lot (see pics here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-145586-2.html )

I have been looking a axle flip/Over-Under conversion as well. Dexter makes a kit that is supposed to work on Lippert axles too. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus...71-384-00.html It comes with new spring seats that have to be welded on, but does not remove the original.

So, if a person didnt like it, it could be reversed I guess. The biggest potential issue is that it changes the trailer's center of gravity...but based on all the forum posts I have read, people like the modification and dont seem to have any problem. The only other idea might be to add a couple of shocks. Still thinking about it, but I sure would like the extra height.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #8

That kit from etrailer seems like a good option but I’m thinking my axle is bigger than that, I talked to a local trailer service place that my dealer uses and also trust and he said it’d be around $300 for them to do it, I thought that was a fair price

Does anyone know why ForestRiver does this on the Grey Wolfs? If I would have gone with the Cherokee we first looked at it would have been this way from the factory
Old 06-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

EPDM is an extremely durable synthetic rubber roofing membrane (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) widely used in low-slope buildings in the United States and worldwide. Its two primary ingredients, ethylene and propylene, are derived from oil and natural gas.

Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO) is a single-ply reflective roofing membrane made from polyprophylene and ethylene-propylene rubber polymerized together.

A good article for understanding the benefits/faults of either type of roofing. http://www.rtnroofing.com/learning/a...roofing-system.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote