Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Water heater

On our latest trip we noticed our pilot light for our hot water heater kept going out. Not sure if it's on a timer? But we pretty much had to light it anytime we wanted hot water. We're newer to the travel trailer world, but is it something that we can light and leave for the few days we're parked? It wasn't windy or any other conditions to blow out. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
schusters07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

We have been living in our 28bhks four two weeks and have the same problem, looking for answers as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forest River Forums mobile app
jackl806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schusters07 View Post
On our latest trip we noticed our pilot light for our hot water heater kept going out. Not sure if it's on a timer? But we pretty much had to light it anytime we wanted hot water. We're newer to the travel trailer world, but is it something that we can light and leave for the few days we're parked? It wasn't windy or any other conditions to blow out. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
For members to help we need to know what trailer you have and model number of your water heater.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

So here is some help regardless of the model heater you have.

The "light" only comes on when it is calling for heat. The light goes out when you have water in the tank at the thermostat set temperature (normally 130 degrees).

If the light lights; then goes out it is working correctly. If it stays ON, you have a failure to light problem.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE HOT WATER; then you have a mixing problem.

Check your winterizing bypass valves to make sure the cross tube bypass is CLOSED and not open. That will allow cold water to mix with the hot water when you open the hot water faucet.

Something else to check is the hand wand in the shower and the outside shower. IF the hand wand button is CLOSED and the faucets were left open (no water will come out; BUT) the cold water will cross THROUGH the mixing valve body and cool down your hot water.

Hope you find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	53938  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
So here is some help regardless of the model heater you have.

The "light" only comes on when it is calling for heat. The light goes out when you have water in the tank at the thermostat set temperature (normally 130 degrees).

If the light lights; then goes out it is working correctly. If it stays ON, you have a failure to light problem.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE HOT WATER; then you have a mixing problem.

Check your winterizing bypass valves to make sure the cross tube bypass is CLOSED and not open. That will allow cold water to mix with the hot water when you open the hot water faucet.

Something else to check is the hand wand in the shower and the outside shower. IF the hand wand button is CLOSED and the faucets were left open (no water will come out; BUT) the cold water will cross THROUGH the mixing valve body and cool down your hot water.

Hope you find it.
I was asking info as it might be an older water heater which does not have DSI and has actual pilot light....hope OP will provide info....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
I was asking info as it might be an older water heater which does not have DSI and has actual pilot light....hope OP will provide info....
Oh, that is an excellent point. There are two posters with the same problem.
Perhaps one (or both) of them has DSI.

I have a manual around the Herkbrary and will look up proper operation of a manual (pilot) heater and check back.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

OK, seems the pilot light units do not have "ON" lights.

Just the pilot flame outside that is lit from outside to "turn it on."

If there is a light inside it is DSI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban Water Heater Service Manual.pdf (716.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #8

We are having this problem with the hot water heater in our Patriot travel trailer. We can light the hot water heater and it will work fine for a while, then the water gets cold and we check and find that the pilot light has gone out. We don't know if the wind it somehow blowing it out or if it's some other problem. Has anyone solved this problem? Thank you!
Jasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

I had this problem when I had my pop-up. Check the distance between the thermocouple and where the pilot flame is. My gap was too large and I needed to bend the pilot piece closer to the thermocouple. Easy to do with needle-nosed pliers. Hope this helps.
2004 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L, 3.73 Diff.
pops p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin View Post
We are having this problem with the hot water heater in our Patriot travel trailer. We can light the hot water heater and it will work fine for a while, then the water gets cold and we check and find that the pilot light has gone out. We don't know if the wind it somehow blowing it out or if it's some other problem. Has anyone solved this problem? Thank you!
Hi Jasmin When you lite the pilot you have to hold the red button down on the gas valve down for 30 sec to lite it? If this is how you have to lite the gas valve the thermocouple is weak or is not in good contact with the pilot flame. My guess is that this problem just started and that the thermocoupe is bad. The thermocouple will need to be replaced. New themocouple can be bought at local hardware store.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

TimVWulp, t's done this since we got the trailer. It will work for a while, and then just go out. We will have to check out the distance between the thermocouple and the pilot flame, as pops p suggested. If that doesn't work, we'll try replacing the thermocouple. Thank you both for your help!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin View Post
TimVWulp, t's done this since we got the trailer. It will work for a while, and then just go out. We will have to check out the distance between the thermocouple and the pilot flame, as pops p suggested. If that doesn't work, we'll try replacing the thermocouple. Thank you both for your help!
The Pilot flame should be in contact with the last 1/3 of the thermocouple. If you have a multi voltage meter that can read mill volts. The thermocouple should be making 30 mill volts. You can read this by unscrewing the thermocouple from the gas valve. Measure the voltage at the bottom end that you put in the gas valve and the side that goes in the gas valve. The pilot will have to be burning and flame in contact with the thermocouple for 1 minute before you take reading. If the voltage falls below 25 mill volts it is no good.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #13

Okay, I'll have to have my husband check that out the next time we get out to our camper. Thanks for your help, Tim!

Tags
heater, water, water heater