Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #1

Water Leak - Dealer can't find it

My 2018 Grey Wolf MK23 has had a water leak in the bedroom for quite some time. I had it into the dealer within the warranty period to have them fix it. At the time, the leak damage was small. The service department said that we must have let a sink overrun or something similar. I pulled the camper out of storage and prepped it for use when I discovered the leak damage was excessive. I took it back to the dealer and they just called me to tell me they can't find the leak anywhere and again said that I must have let a sink continuously run or something similar. They've checked the shower, which is on the other side of the wall. there are no water lines beneath the floor in that area. There is a window just above the damage, but dealer says it's not leaking there. Any ideas? I can't use it like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4992.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	217762  

GBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #2

That looks awful, sorry you have to deal with that mess. I would call the manufacturer for help as well.

I would start spraying water from a hose all over the roof, exterior walls and underneath in that area. Looks like its coming from that corner or below. Hard to tell based on the photo what I'm looking at. Looks like a floor, but a speaker near the floor?

K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #3

Yes, that's the floor and the black round thing is the furnace vent on the bottom of the wall adjacent to the shower. The dealer said they've had the camper sitting under a running hose for 6 hours and nothing appears inside.

Before I took it back to the dealer, I sprayed the camper and couldn't see a leak anywhere. I'm getting frustrated as I've planned a vacation for the end of next week and it appears I'll have to make other plans since the camper won't make it.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Commercial Member

GBarrett,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2018 Grey Wolf. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Sabrina Shannon in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...73498948237265.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarrett View Post
My 2018 Grey Wolf MK23 has had a water leak in the bedroom for quite some time. I had it into the dealer within the warranty period to have them fix it. At the time, the leak damage was small. The service department said that we must have let a sink overrun or something similar. I pulled the camper out of storage and prepped it for use when I discovered the leak damage was excessive. I took it back to the dealer and they just called me to tell me they can't find the leak anywhere and again said that I must have let a sink continuously run or something similar. They've checked the shower, which is on the other side of the wall. there are no water lines beneath the floor in that area. There is a window just above the damage, but dealer says it's not leaking there. Any ideas? I can't use it like this.

The 'shower' does not have to have lines 'beneath the floor' to leak 'on the other side of the wall'. you may need to peel a wall back to find the leak. We had had our Hemisphere for over two years and KNEW that there was a leak 'somewhere' from the sound of the water pump, when engaged and primed, would for seemly no reason 'come on'. One time our camper was tilted to one side and a small stream of water was coming from under the bathroom wall out to the center of the main room. Very strange? Found out that a nut holding a water line to the shower had not be tightened enough and letting water hit the inside of the wall space and go to the floor. With the camper 'level' the water would drain off into an opening under the tub where a P pipe was and then drain under the camper and to the ground. The tub faucet handle assembly could not be 'removed' from the tub side (as it should be able to) because the 'installer' had put J-nails on the faucet hoses and these could not be removed until the whole wall was 'peeled back'. I also found out that a 'support' bracket/board that was under the tub for 'support' was 'hanging' over nothing but 'air' because it was over the hole where the P-trap was installed. I installed a board under the tub (there is a panel to get under it) to the 'support' brace. For anyone reading this and your tub by the drain feels 'weak', look in the panel to under the tub and see if it is supported properly.

Let us know how it goes, but don't just look at the roof and windows, could be a hose with a 'nail' hole or a loose connection.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #6

on my 6X12 enclosed trailer, I used a shop vac to pressurize it and sprayed soapy water over it with a pump sprayer until I found the leak. took less than 5 minutes to find.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, that's the floor and the black round thing is the furnace vent on the bottom of the wall adjacent to the shower. The dealer said they've had the camper sitting under a running hose for 6 hours and nothing appears inside.

Before I took it back to the dealer, I sprayed the camper and couldn't see a leak anywhere. I'm getting frustrated as I've planned a vacation for the end of next week and it appears I'll have to make other plans since the camper won't make it.
I would say its coming from that corner, whatever is behind that is leaking water. Might be water lines to shower faucets? I would tell them to pull that wall.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Retired Member

Quote:
Do you use water pressure regulator? Son had mine at his house with too much pressure. Did not blow any lines apart but fitting would leak.
rmwmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #9

The dealer has asked me to drive up Wednesday so they can show me where they have looked. They still canít find anything. Iíll take a few tools with me to look behind the walls. Forest River has began to reach out to me - which surprised me. I am interested in what they will say.

I have an additional concern now: If and when the original leak is found and sealed, what corrosion issues will I have?
Old 10-23-2019, 04:40 AM   #10

Quote:
I have an additional concern now: If and when the original leak is found and sealed, what corrosion issues will I have?
Probably no corrosion issues but he fiberboard on your floor that is in the picture is swelling from the water.

It will be worse under the shower on the opposite side. It could even extend under the exterior studs! That will all need to be replaced.

This is not a small issue!
Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

Cant find water leak

I had the same issue on my 2018 Salem Hemisphere and could not find it at first until i checked the outside of the water heater and noticed it leaking slightly where the Anode Rod is and when the water heater was installed they did not caulk it very well and water was seeping through the side wall into the bedroom floor. After I removed the factory caulking and replaced it myself I let water run on that area for hours and no more water leakage.
Alan and Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #12

Update: I drove up to the dealer (a one hour drive). I had a 1:30 appointment. When I arrived, the person I was to meet wasn’t there. Another man took me to show me my camper and point out the damage. I told him I knew all about it and that’s why they had it. He told me they couldn’t find the leak. I asked why they hadn’t taken the wall panel down to look behind it. He said that if they couldn’t see the leak, warranty wouldn’t cover taking it apart. I told him to give me ten minutes and I’d have the panel off. He wouldn’t let me do it. We went back inside where the guy I was to meet finally showed up. He repeated what the other guy told me and that the service manager was the one that wanted to talk to me but he was called to a meeting with the business owner at their retail lot and wouldn’t be back anytime soon. I expressed my frustration with them and left. I drove straight to the retail lot and asked to see the service manager. The receptionist told me he was in a meeting so I explained what I’d been through. She ran up to get him and soon he was down to meet me. We all drove back to the service location. I can only imagine what the service guys thought when i walked through the door with him. Anyway, we walked to the trailer and discussed what needed to be done. He asked how I thought they should proceed and told him how I would do it if I were them. He agreed and said it would be done the next day (today) and he would call me as soon as they found the problem. He was sure warranty would cover it but if they didn’t, he’d take care of it. I expressed my frustration with the was I was treated after driving up for an appointment THEY had made. He said he’d take care of that as well and going forward deal with him directly. So,... I’m waiting to hear what they find. He didn’t think it would take long to repair the floor and wall once the leak was sealed.

Who knows? Maybe they’ll make me a semi-satisfied customer.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Water can do crazy things. I had a leak that took me weeks to find in a previous trailer it was Dripping at the head of the bed in the front of the camper turned out it was a screw that wasn't properly sealed at the rear of the camper in the gutter area. Just a drip but it would run along the roof and then eventually find a hole at the front of the camper.

There has also been many of a report of loose pipes fittings and connections from the factory. That would be another good suggestion that someone gave you to check those shower lines and those sink lines make sure everything is tight run the pump with water and see if you hear it cycling or maybe even hear the water coming out of a line.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #14

GBarrett, one other thought. I have a 2018 23MK as well, and the comment somebody made about the other side of the shower got me thinking. If you haven't checked already, you might want to open the bottom cupboard door next to the shower and check around for water in there as well. The furnace duct runs through the back side of that cupboard, and under the shower to get to the bedroom.
Sorry to hear about your problems, we've had ours 2 years and love the floor plan and all the windows in the living area.
Good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
on my 6X12 enclosed trailer, I used a shop vac to pressurize it and sprayed soapy water over it with a pump sprayer until I found the leak. took less than 5 minutes to find.

My suggestion as well, will rule out or confirm if the water is coming from outside (my first guess) or from plumbing. Close all windows and doors and find a place to insert the shop vac. Turn it on and spray soapy water around windows, roof, etc. in that area.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #16

OP did state water damage was worse after pulling it out of storage. Which would led me to believe water was entering from outside. Since no one stores RV with full water tanks and pressure in the system... right?

But... from the looks of the damage, I would say its coming from water connections in the shower (Although I'm not familiar with the layout entirely). And again, how would you have worse damage from a leak with no water in the system after storing it.

Something is missing here... maybe I assume too much.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
OP did state water damage was worse after pulling it out of storage. Which would led me to believe water was entering from outside. Since no one stores RV with full water tanks and pressure in the system... right?

But... from the looks of the damage, I would say its coming from water connections in the shower (Although I'm not familiar with the layout entirely). And again, how would you have worse damage from a leak with no water in the system after storing it.

Something is missing here... maybe I assume too much.
Is it worse from being in storage because it is still leaking or because the water is sitting in the soaked floor and walls and breaking down over the winter as it sits. Pressure testing seems to be the best option to guarantee a no outside leak.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #18

Update: the service manager contacted me yesterday (Friday). They still haven’t found the leak. They are convinced it’s not the shower as everything in the immediate area is dry and shows no signs of ever being wet. They will be removing walls today to get a direct look at things - I’m not sure why they didn’t start there.

Still waiting,...
Old 10-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #19

I just heard from the service manager at the dealer. They think they found the leak. From their investigation, it seems that a sprinkler may have been spraying the cargo door and water found its way into the rv. They will try to get my insurance to cover it, although I'm not sure why warranty wouldn't play a part in this if water has been getting past a seal somewhere. I still haven't heard if I'll be able to keep my reservations on the other coast for my vacation.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:
…...a sprinkler may have been spraying the cargo door and water found its way into the rv....

Sprinkler.... sprays door????

(YOUR) Insurance company should laugh at this sDealer. and then drop you...

Sell your unit and buy from a different dealer.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, leak, water, water leak