Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #41

The strain placed on the tires by the X-Chock is much less than when driving. The X-Chock is what has the strain when installed. As you raise or lower the front of the TT, the X-Chock arms are made to "shear" in a different stress mode. It is a scissors device and when the tires move while raising or lowering TT the screw and arms are placed into a position where the could jam and be very difficult to remove.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #42
(Kim)

Example of how important it is to chock at all times.

We picked up our TT at the storage place the other day.
While there, I noticed that this guys TT had fallen off the blocks he had under the jack and it was nose down in the gravel. Previously he had the jack on a very high stack of wood with a cement post holder on the bottom, no chocks behind any wheels and the stabilizers up. I am guessing that the bad storm we had with very strong winds must have shook his TT enough to cause it to move forward enough and slip off the blocks.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
The strain placed on the tires by the X-Chock is much less than when driving. The X-Chock is what has the strain when installed. As you raise or lower the front of the TT, the X-Chock arms are made to "shear" in a different stress mode. It is a scissors device and when the tires move while raising or lowering TT the screw and arms are placed into a position where the could jam and be very difficult to remove.
Have been putting the Bal X-Chocks in before unhitching for 6 yrs now and have never experienced them being difficult to remove. Not saying it won't happen, just that so far, I've not experienced any difficulty.:signhIavefun:

If I had to store the camper on a storage lot, I would make a set out of 4x4's and use them for fear of someone borrowing my Bal chocks.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #44

Follow up question

I have read through all your comments. The conclusion. I find kind of a 50/50 split on the process of using the Pinch down chocks first or use ground chocks first.

I have tried the ground (plastic) chocks first for a couple of trips now.

My last trip though I again needed to to use lynx leveler blocks to raise one side to make it level from side to side. I found that I could not use the ground chocks on that side because the tire was raised and the lynx leveler blocks would not allow me to tuck the ground chock up snug to the tire.

Does anyone have a cure for this circumstance?

Thought about placing a second lynx block on the ground against the the one under the tire. This would make the surface level and allow me to snug up the plastic chock under the tire. BUT doesn't plastic on plastic tend to slide?

Could I layer the extra lynx blocks on hand to make this act as a chock?
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post
I have read through all your comments. The conclusion. I find kind of a 50/50 split on the process of using the Pinch down chocks first or use ground chocks first.

My last trip though I again needed to to use lynx leveler blocks to raise one side to make it level from side to side. I found that I could not use the ground chocks on that side because the tire was raised and the lynx leveler blocks would not allow me to tuck the ground chock up snug to the tire.

Thought about placing a second lynx block on the ground against the the one under the tire. This would make the surface level and allow me to snug up the plastic chock under the tire. BUT doesn't plastic on plastic tend to slide?

Either homemade x chocks or the Bal X Chocks. Much better for holding than the ground chocks.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post

Buy a pack or two of these:

Amazon.com: Tri-Lynx 00018 Lynx Stop 'N Chock Interlocking Wheel Chock, (Pack of 2): Automotive
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #47

Rgstivr6 has the right idea. Just make sure the chock(s) you get wll fit your Lynx blocks. They should interlock. Although, the wheels still on the ground are the ones which will do the most "holding" when they are chocked - front and back.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote