Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #1

Why are Grey Wolf's so inexpensive?

I'm curious why the Cherokee Grey Wolf (we're looking at the 28BH) is significantly less expensive than comparable Flagstaff, Rockwood, Aljo (Skyline)? Forgive me if I seem skeptical, but the 28BH can routinely be purchased for less than $15K, while many of the above brands seem to range from $18-$22K.

I guess I'm leery of the "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" theory, but at the same time I can't find a lot of negatives about this trailer. Our kids are only 21 months (twin boys) and this seems like a great buy. Your honest thoughts are greatly appreciated. Here's a look at the unit on Lakeshore RV.
http://lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopmast/...productid=1146
bobbyg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #2

I own a 28bh and it works nice for us. Some things it is missing that can easily be added are outside lights, receptactles, and shower. Plus inside mine is missing the oven, but I think it was a good deal for us, those missing items were easily added. I have a boy 3 1/2 yrs old, twin girls almost 3 and a 4 week old daughter (plus a dog) and we have plenty of room. Granted it isn't the luxurious item we want in the end but for the kids to romp in and to camp on the weekend it is great, most of our time is spent outside, so we only sleep in it. I think it was a great buy, plus it saved me some coin for the other items.
On the hunt for a new travel trailer
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Kind of a Big Deal

Smile

I have a 26bh. It is basically the small things that make the Cherokee Grey Wolfs cheaper. Take a walk through the more expensive models and then go through the grey wolf. If you are young like me and haven't had the fancy trailers yet or simply don't have the money, it will do great for you. I don't need the etched glass cabinets or the ducted furnace to do my weekend camping. My kids won't remember the options our rv had when they look back to the good times they had. It's important you get out and I think these trailers are great for beginner rvers. Plus, when i'm 50 I need something to look foreward to.
YZ450 and TTR-50 for the boy
Todddob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsteve View Post
I own a 28bh and it works nice for us. Some things it is missing that can easily be added are outside lights, receptactles, and shower. Plus inside mine is missing the oven, but I think it was a good deal for us, those missing items were easily added. I have a boy 3 1/2 yrs old, twin girls almost 3 and a 4 week old daughter (plus a dog) and we have plenty of room. Granted it isn't the luxurious item we want in the end but for the kids to romp in and to camp on the weekend it is great, most of our time is spent outside, so we only sleep in it. I think it was a great buy, plus it saved me some coin for the other items.
"and one Dumb dog"

I wouldn't put yourself down like that, you're trying!!!! LOL

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
The other folks have it right. There is actually a plus to having less "glitz and glimmer." Namely, it is easier to keep the inside clean. I would even go so far as to suggest you might consider ordering a unit without carpeting so you can just sweep and mop instead of having to use vacuum and carpet cleaning machine. Throw rugs work well if you must have something decorative. JMHO

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #6

ooops I meant to say I have a 26bh not a 28, and the dog is dumb.
On the hunt for a new travel trailer
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #7

My original post was meant to ask why they're so inexpensive from a build quality perspective. I "get" the bells and whistles angle, and I agree with most of you that we don't need that stuff at this point in life. Our little boys are only 21 months and will likely beat down fancy cabinetry anyway.

I guess I want to know if these trailers exhibit shoddy assembly characteristics like stapling, poor HVAC systems, or lower quality roof and window seams.
bobbyg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I always wondered about that myself. In the end, I concluded that what differs across a manufacturers models with identical floor plans are the furnishings. By that I mean everything that is inside the bare-bones shell of the trailer, from water heaters to cabinets, appliances, carpeting, etc. On the outside you might get fancier wheels, different graphics, more scare lights and other things like that. I think it would just not be cost effective for manufacturers to build separate floors, sidewalls and roofs.

One way to look at it is to compare trailers to the trim level on cars. You can buy a car as an LX, LTD, Limited, etc, etc. Same car, different trim levels.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Answer: volume volume volume. Plus they get a lot of their painting done at Mattel's Chinese factories. Quite good quality as long as you don't chew the trim too much.

Kidding of course. Keeping it basic is the trick; pretty much every mainline manufacturer is offering a no-frills package now... FR just does it better.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee