Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Wind deflector for tow vehicle

Did a search on this site and found nothing. Has the use of a wind deflector on the towing vehicle ever been discussed?

My Cherokee has a large flat front. I pull it with a Ford Expedition. Do they make a roof mounted wind deflector that can be easily mounted to say the luggage rack during those times when pulling the camper.

Just wondering if using such a system is even possible on a family SUV. Wondering if the cost of such a system is worth the savings (less wind resistance) in fuel.

kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Just don't see them much any more do ya.
I think the lack of rain gutters on vehicles have something to do with it.
you would in fact need a luggage rack to mount.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Mod free 5er
We used one for yrs on my 78 Chevy with a topper. Made it out of an old semi tractor deflector. Don't know if it helped, but it sure kept the bugs off the front of our trailer. I just kept adjusting it til we didn't get bugs on the trailer and left it at that angle. We used it for 5 yrs and sold the truck to my father and he used it for another 5 or 6 yrs. Now, I just use a tonneau cover that surrounds the 5th wheel hitch.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Looking for more imput please.

I see semi trucks have these things on top of their cab to deflect the air around the trailer. I'm thinking this might improve their MPG.

Will placing some kind of a wind deflector on the roof of my tow vehicle (possibly attach to luggage rack) do the same. Maybe this will give me a few more miles to the gallon when pulling the camper.

Again do they even make something like this for SUV's pulling a camper
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Do they make a wind deflector that attaches to the front of the trailer?
If so, do they actually work?

2012 Ford F150 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
2011 Rockwood MiniLite 1809s
E2 WDH 600/6000lbs
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
this subject comes up all the time on RV forums.

semis can make it worthwhile since they drive so many miles, that the very small amount of benefit adds up.
but for regular RV'ers, they would have to drive miles and miles just to see any kind of minimal benefit and to recoup the costs of buying and installing a deflector.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
yeah IM thinking 1 or 2 mpg is truly unrealistic .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
I'll second the no bugs comment. I had a Thule bike rack with a wind deflector on the Tundra, and the front of the camper stayed clean. I thought at first it was just the shape of the windjammer, but after taking off the Thule rack, the suicide bugs came back, I'll be tossing the Thule back on for the summer.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
From what I have read on the net, it seems it only helps if the top of the deflector is close to the trailer and angled correctly. If the deflector is too far from the trailer, the airflow can "fall" into the gap in between and really mess up the arrowdynamics and worsen the mileage. So I think if you can mount it far back toward the trailer, even 1 or 2 mpg improvement is worth it if you are going on a 1000+ mile trip. It will take awhile for it to pay for itself though.
2012 Colorado 4x4 5.3v8 CCSB
2005 Sierra F37SP...soon to be gone
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa....wish someone would buy me...
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Camping World has them - for about 275 or so. Last time I looked at them it seemed it may be worthwhile as I have a topper on the TV but would have to drill and bolt the wing so I have not, so far - taken the plunge. Must try to work out what advantage there is.

BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad